Search

Pacific Northwest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacific Northwest

Thinking of traveling in July to the Oregon/Washington state area. I would like to fly in to Oregon and fly back home from Seattle; anyone have suggestions where to start in the Oregon coast; where to stay, points of interest and things to do...then also along the way to Seattle. What are some good wineries in Oregon...Any suggestions on an itinerary? Also things not to miss in Seattle and a nice hotel to stay... Thanks....
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:08 AM
lovingheart

How many days will you be in the NW?

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Hopefully 8 or 9 days.....Thanks so much for any help..
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Since you'll probably fly into Portland, I'd suggest you drive out highway 30 to Astoria to begin your Oregon coast exploration. Aside from the dramatic scenery, the highlights for many are the huge sand dunes, and visits to various lighthouses. But, depending on your interests, there are innumerable other things to see and do.

With 8-9 days, I'd consider going as far south as Florence before looping back to Portland (126 to I-5). You'd need four days to do that justice. Seaside, Cannon Beach, Manzanita, Newport, and Yachats are popular towns along the coast for overnights. Once you've firmed up your itinerary somewhat, you will get recommendations for any number of places to stay in each of those places.

Notice that wineries are not included in this itinerary. The highest concentration of Oregon wineries is an area 1-1.5 hours SW of Portland. If you did a smaller coastal loop, and headed back to Portland on 18/99W, you'd be going through the middle of it.

On your way to Seattle, you could/should take detours to see the Columbia River gorge and/or Mt St Helens. I live in Portland, and though I've been there many times, I'll let someone from Seattle take it from here.

Let us know what you're interested in seeing/doing and we can make more detailed recommendations.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Beachbum, I understand through my Mum-in-law (who lives in Oregon wine country) that some OR wineries have been or are being sold to the Chinese. Do you have info on that? She sent me an email about it, but I deleted it accidentally.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:18 AM

You must spend some time in Astoria, www.oldoregon.com In Seattle, don't miss the Space Needle, Pike's Market, the ferry ride to Bainbridge Island and a meal at the Dahlia Lounge.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Edgewater Hotel but this summer we're considering the Fairmont Olympic, previously the Four Seasons.

I like the Paschal Vineyards in Southern Oregon, beautiful tasting room and very nice Pinot Gris. Abacela is also very good for their Grenache. The Willamette Valley Vineyards also has a gorgeous tasting room with an outdoor patio to enjoy your tastings. ***kim***
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:47 AM

She's probably referring to a recent first-time shipment of Oregon pinots to China, BTilke. Local vintners are hoping, through monthly shipments, to establish Oregon's as the preferred high-end pinot noir in China. I've not heard or read that any wineries are being bought by Chinese companies.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 04:12 PM

No, I think it was more than..it was something she read locally (they live in McMinnville). I do know State Rep Dennis Richardson recently said a Chinese wine buyer intends to invest in an Oregon winery and sell the output under his own label in China.