Search

One month in Chicago......pls help with where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One month in Chicago......pls help with where to stay

Hiya!

I'll be in Chicago for one month in July. I checked out the extended stay hotels and they cost almost $1600 USD for a month. I was hoping for a cheaper option. I'll be there for a class near the intersection of Nagle Avenue and Northwest Highway in Chicago. I won't be having a car so need to be somewhat closeby but don't mind taking a bus or train as long as it's not too long of a commute. Also, preferably near a grocery store and basic conveniences, etc.
And I'm also wondering what this area Nagle Ave/Northwest Highway is like if anybody knows?

Please advise.
Many thanks,

gtrekker
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:57 PM
GoTravel

gtrekker, honestly US $1600 isn't bad for a month for intown if this includes a full kitchen.

Have you tried VRBO.com?

If you need to be near downtown, anything cheaper may be scary.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:09 PM

The Extended stay america at O'hare is $299 a week, that is only 1200 a month.

You will be able to get to Nagle and NW HY by transit but it will take two transfers and 40 mins.

PACE 233, Rosemont Blue Line to Jefferson Park, CTA #68 to Nagle and NW HY
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:13 PM

sry that was pace #223
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:34 PM

To be honest with you, without a car, it's going to be very hard to satisfy all your needs, especially because of the location of the school. Northwest Hwy is pretty much an industrial/commercial street in this area. The side streets are residential, but I just can't remember any hotels within an easy bus ride to/from your school There are some motels on Harlem avenue just south of Northwest Hwy, but that's all they are, just motels. Your best bet would be airport hotels, any suite hotel (like , ExtendedStay America, Homewood Suites, Residence Inn or something similar), but that will involve some major traveling. Possibly the hotel shuttle to the airport, catching the train, and then maybe a bus. It would be ok if all you needed was once or twice a week, but 5 days a week will make it old very quickly.

Check out www.execustay.com a Marriott program where they find apartments in the needed areas. They do have a 30 day minimum.

I will also agree that paying $1600 for a month is a reasonable amount. If you knew somebody in the area and they could check the local papers, possibly find some place that rents by the week, you may be able to save some money.

Another possibility is to check with the school/college that you will be attending. Maybe they have some arrangements with local rental complexes for just such situation.

All my observations about the area may be wrong. I have moved out of the city few years back, but I do remember the area very well, because I did a lot of business with many of the manufacturing companies in that area. It could have changed since the late 90s.

So, maybe somebody else will give you some better news.

Good luck!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:41 PM

One more suggestion. ExtendedStay America is pretty much set on rates, but any of the other chains may be willing to offer a special rate. You would need to call the hotel directly and talk to the manager. If their occupancy projections are not looking very hot, they may offer some special deals.

A friend was able to get Homewood Suites 2 room suite that was going for between $89-109 per night on their site for the month he needed, down to $45 (taxes included) after talking to the manager. He did get the back parking lot view suite, but he didn't care.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM

Here's a map of the area
http://transitchicago.com/maps/maps/F2003NW.html

From downtown or G'Hare, go to the Jefferson Park El station (on the Blue Line to O'Hare) and take a Milwaukee Avenue bus north. Get off at Bryn Mawr and walk about a half mile west. Northwest Highway isn't that far from Milwaukee Ave., although it's a little confusing. Note that this map shows routes, not streets. There are a lot of missing intersections.

If you can't find a hotel room near O'Hare, look in the nearby suburbs: Harwood Heights, Norridge, Skokie or Niles. There is a Holiday Inn Skokie at Touhy and Central/Niles Center Road that's on a bus line, and a Days Inn (I think) at Milwaukee and Caldwell in Niles. The Holiday Inn is nicer and better located. From these, you'd have a 20-30 minute commute by bus, 10-15 minutes by car.

The school's neighborhood, Norwood Park, is lower middle class, with two big commercial strips along the expressway and Milwaukee Avenue. There are a lot of Polish-owned businesses in the area. It's very safe and kind of overlooked. There are still quite a few small manufacturing businesses from a generation ago which make it a little dingy. The expressways and airport make it noisy.

A final idea: craigslist.org has short-term sublets for Chicago. Look for neighborhoods Norwood Park, Jefferson Park, or Mayfair or Wright College area, or Harwood Heights and Norridge.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. That was very helpful.

Cheers,

gtrekker