Let's talk Tucson and UA

Search

Let's talk Tucson and UA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Let's talk Tucson and UA

Planning on taking son to Tucson to tour UA over Memorial day weekend. I'm toying with the idea of driving the 7 hours from L.A. just to have a car, but wonder if the train might be another option. It comes into Tucson late, and I don't know the area, i.e, bad, good, indifferent. Ideas on hotels would also be helpful, and any other recommendations to get an overview of the city, aside from the tour of the university, which is the main reason for the trip.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Tucson and just retired from UA and I have no idea what the train ride from LA over here would be like but I do know the train station is downtown and it's not a place I'd be at night.

Like LA you really need a car to get around here. Some students do not have cars if they live on campus (parking is expensive) or can walk to school from apts. There is a bus in Tucson called SunTran and they offer reduced rates to students. For the bus to be worthwhile you need to live on a bus route tho, otherwise forget it. Many students bike to school if they live close enough.

Southwest has reasonable fares and whenever we are in LA we just fly over as the drive is tedious to say the least.

There is a Marriott adjacent to the University, many small shops and places to eat surround the main gate of the school as well. It's a very nice hotel and there is dedicated hotel parking in the garage across the street.

We (my dept) frequently put guests up at the Windmill Inn on River and Campbell when I was working. They all loved the hotel. All the rooms are 2 room suites. It's in a small plaza with shops and cafe's and is away from the University atmosphere. There are many hotels in Tucson and it depends on your price range what you choose. The hotels in the Foothills are usually more expensive. I would not recommend staying along Interstate 10 in the downtown area,it's not very appealing.

The city is sprawling in all directions however as a student I would imagine your son would live on campus or in an apt. nearby so the suburbs would not be of interest. The U is in an old part of town - many small houses surround the area as well as apts. Many of the older houses in the area are being torn down and duplexes built or apts but up. The campus itself is lovely as you will see soon. The new student union and bookstore are very nice I might add. School will be out by the time you get here however altho many things on campus will be open. The University Medical Center complex is adjacent to the UA as well.

From a student's point of view (and I worked with them for years) most liked the campus alot. We have many students from CA, particularly Southern CA, and it is similar in many ways to CA here. The campus population is very diverse with students from all cultures attending. There are many clubs, etc. on campus for students to join and meet others. The immediate area around school has lots of fast food places to eat, but to get away from the campus you really need a car.

I hope you have a good time here and that your son likes the university.

There are alot of hiking trails in the mountains outside of Tucson if your son is the outdoor type.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM

Tucson is a great town, and there is loads to do there and in the surroundings--best enjoyed with a companion.

You definitely need a car; if you don't want the expense of renting a car, you should drive.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM

The Marriott, near the campus, is a good place to stay if you can get a rate you like. There are several student-type restaurants nearby.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful information. I guess I'll narrow it down to driving or flying, since the train dumps you in Tucson near midnight, which sounds unappealing.

I'll check out the hotels listed.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:55 AM

You might give Priceline a try if you are comfortable/knowledgeable about using it. We recently stayed at the Hilton Tucson East for a long weekend while taking in some spring training games. It's an older property on a main drag (Broadway), east and south (I think) of the campus, but Tucson was very easy to navigate. You do need a car, though. We like it a lot, and out hotel room was only $50.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:09 PM

Hi surfergirl.

Don't take the train. I'm not sure about coming FROM L.A. But I know the train going west through Tucson is virtually always anywhere from 5 to 8 hours late.

The best hotel definitely would be the Marriott University Park http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/tusup You would be right there at the campus.

Please send me an email, and I will send you a long list of things to see and do in and around Tucson. Everything has clickable links, so you will be able to explore and see what looks interesting.

Lori -- congratulations on your retirement. Surfergirl, I retired from the UofA just over a year ago, and worked right next door to the Marriott.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM

Hi Surfergirl
I'm a Tucson native and U of A alum.
My dad was a Department Head and my SIL
works with the VP of Research.
I just wanted to add that Tucson is a terrific place to attend college. The student population is from all over the world and U of A has grown into a mighty fine university.

Lori & MikeP will give you very reliable advice about Tucson!

R5
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of the great advice. For those alums and those who worked or work at UA, I've heard some wonderful things about the university and the SALT program, which is why I was particularly interested in this university. I wish campuses in California would have a similar program. It's not easy finding the right place for bright students who just happen to have learning disabilities. Arizona should be very proud of this program. It means a lot to parents like me.
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

We are in Tucson right now and enjoying every minute of it! Very hot, but dry heat. The Marriott is a great little find so thank you all for recommending it.

We LOVED the university. We met with someone yesterday (had an appointment at 2:30 p.m., and drove from L.A., leaving at 5:30 a.m. to give us plenty of time). This morning, we went on one of their Ambassador tours with a university student leading the tour. Unfortunately, we couldn't get in to see the inside of any of the buildings other than the student union (yesterday) and bookstore (today). Lots of prospective students from L.A. on the tour.

My mom went with us, and since we were both UCLA grads, we did do a lot of comparing UA with UCLA, at least from an architectural point of view. There were many similarities (lots of brick!), lots of greenery, so we were saying, ah, the performing arts center is like Royce Hall, etc.. And of course, when we heard the story behind the phrase "bear down", we laughed because we thought it might have been some reference to a very bad sports event between UA and the Bruins! The one thing I noticed that UA has that UCLA does not is this mediterranean influence, which I guess is not something most people would pick up on. But there's this pathway that is a little orange tree grove, and ends at a walkway with a massive amount of olive trees. Very Italian!

The student union was amazing. Better than Ackerman (at UCLA), or at least better than it was in the 70's before the remodel.

We took a drive north and found the biosphere - what an amazing place that is.

Ah, so much to do and so little time. We also found ourselves surrounded this morning by a huge pack of cyclists, who apparently bike each Sat. morning. Today the ride was to Green Valley and back. Now I don't know where that is, but one of the bike riders told me it was a 70 ride. Whew! And I thought my son and my "marathon" 22 mile ride through the streets of L.A. in last year's bike tour was a monumental ride. Anyway, it gives my son something to look forward to!

Thanks again for all of your amazing help!