Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tucson U of A weekend in Jan- recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headed for a college audition/visit with 17 y.o. daughter, know nothing of the city or school. Any moderate lodging,
neighborhoods, or restaurants to suggest? Particular shopping spots, etc? Will have rental car...limited time.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 11:32 AM

For a real Tucson flavor, check out:

4th Ave. shops and especially Bisonwich's restaurant for soup/sandwich (tons of college folks hang out there!)

Cup Cafe in the Hotel Congress downtown (yummy eats and dessert--funky atmosphere.)

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I suggest you try a new University District lodging called "The Big Blue House". Located two blocks from 4th Ave. A very nice University neighborhood. Here is their web site, check them out: http://bigbluehouse.net
Rooms are around $100 per night and well worth it...

Ken
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 10:32 AM

all the major chains have hotels/motels along the freeway just west of the University
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 01:41 PM

I would not recommend staying along the freeway (I-10)at all - it is a rather scuzzy area (I live in Tucson). There is a Marriott right outside the UofA gates if you want to be real close to the university. It is a nice hotel surrounded by small shops, cafes, bookstore.

The UofA is in the center of town, surrounded by many older housing developments and the University Medical Center buildings. The campus is lovely with a good mix of older and new buildings.

The Windmill Inn at River and Campbell is a good hotel in a nice area (foothills) and about 7 miles or so from school. All rooms are suites incidentally. It's in a small plaza with some shops and there are plenty of restaurants nearby.

For shopping there are all the same stores you find everyplace .. if you have time you might go to La Encantada Mall, if nothing else for the lovely views out over the city and mountains.

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks gaspar11 (Ken) - I have made a reservation at the Big Blue House...it looks funky and nice. And if anyone else might have a restaurant suggestion I'm interested! thanks again!