Search

One full day!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One full day!

My plan for this day:

NY Public Library - quick visit, nothing specific planned, just want to see the building, lions, maybe check out the Rose Reading Room. I will do more research of what to see while there....

Times Square - Visitors Center. Like to see The Ball, get some pamplets... I also want to check out TKTX to see if I can get something for WICKED. I may just go ahead and buy these tix ahead for Saturday matinee since I hear it's never offered discounted. I am also open to Mamma Mia. Basically looking for a matinee for Saturday, good for 11yr old boy, that won't cost over $100/tix

Ellens Stardust Diner

Nintendo World

TOTR

Central Park Zoo - I'd like to spend some time in Central Park. I know it's huge and I'm not 100% sure yet what sites I'd like to see. I know we want to do the zoo, I'd like to see the castle and the fountain. Maybe grab a bite at the Boathouse...

Blue Man Group 8pm

How does this day look? Any advice/ideas?

TIA!
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM

Busy but doable.

Wicked does not discount and you dont; want to waste any of your verylimited time standing on line at TKTS. Go to broadwaybox.com and get discount tickets in advance and save an hour.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 10:48 AM

Looks like a lot of walking but a lot of fun. Enjoy it.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM

Most tickets for Wicked are over $100. I don't know your son, but I don't think of Mamma Mia as expecially suitable or interesting to an 11 year old boy. Also, you know best, but 2 shows one day seems like a lot for a kid. When is this trip? Keep the weather in mind for some of your activities and for the ability to get around easily
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 11:48 AM

With only one day, I, too, would opt for just one show, and add in a walk up Fifth Avenue, maybe a museum (art or otherwise -- the Met?). I'd probably take a circle line cruise or the Staten Island Ferry rather than spend my afternoon at another show.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, this is an (almost) 3 day trip. In April...

Day one we arrive early and are doing SIF, WTC and BB.
This is our only FULL day, we will do Blue Man Group this evening.
Our 3rd day we leave the city at 7pm, so we have a lot of that day available. That's when I thought to throw the 2nd show in.

Mamma Mia, OMG I have been watching this for years. My son knows and enjoys the story and the music. It may seem a bit "unsuitable" to some, but for us, it's all good!

A lot of walking, yes, I see that... I'm hoping to use the subway - I'm embarrassed to say it, but I'm a little nervous about it. I have been to NYC a half dozen times and never been "brave" enough to venture down. Silly, I know, but there you have it!
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:00 PM

The subway made me nervous the first time too, but once you get the hang of it (not hard, really!) you'll wonder what the big deal was. We were forced to take it (sort of) as we were way downtown and needed to get to the theater for a matinee and the only way to do it fast enough was on the subway.

I'm not sure if you have the time, but if I was taking an 11-year old boy to NY, I would visit The Intrepid.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM

You may be hard-pressed to get out of a matinee at 4:30 or 5 and back to your hotel to pick up luggage (grabbing something to eat along the way) and off to the airport by 7pm. I would seriously reconsider the second show because you just don't have time. Particularly with an 11-year-old.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:06 PM

A few other thoughts.

If you want to have lunch at the Boathouse, do that on your full day, when you can do it before heading down to the zoo. Start your day early, and go directly from the library to Rock Center. Subway up from Rock Center then walk down from the Boathouse. (I'm assuming you're skipping Times Square ... if you want to see Times Square, do it after dark).

Also, eat downtown before Blue Man Group. There are tons of restaurants close to the theater where you can grab a quick bite before the show. And I think you might want to fit in time for a nap for the 11-year-old.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:09 PM

We saw Mamma Mia the first time when my son was 13 and my daughter was 11 and we all loved it!
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:14 PM

A nap for an 11 yr old? That gets a big chuckle from me. My 11 yr olds never took naps, it didn't matter where they were or what/how much they were doing.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:20 PM

If you want your son to love his theatre experience, why not Spiderman -- easily available at half price at TKTS or about 40% in advance through Broadwaybox or others with a discount and choice of seats.

He'd love it WAY more than Mama Mia!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM

Oh, I misread your posting about one long day to mean that you were planning both matinee and evening shows the same day. Never mind.
And obviously if you all like Mamma Mia, go for it. Sometimes people ask for general suggestions and that would not have been my first suggestion. You should be able to get discounts for it unless it's Easter weekend
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

I thought about Spiderman.... maybe your right, being an 11yr old boy it's probably the best choice. We really do love Mamma Mia, although I'm sure he'd rather brag that he saw Spiderman!

We are taking the Amtrak out of Penn Station, it leaves at 7pm. I could have luggage with me, it will only be a couple backpacks most likely.... think we could make it to Penn Station in time? Hmmm.... looks like that might be just the push I need to get us on a subway!

I thought about Intrepid too.... have you been?

Nap... the mom will need the nap, the boy, not so much.

You guys are great, it's nice to throw ideas off people in the know!

Thanx so much!
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 02:24 PM

You've got plenty of time to make a train at Penn Station -- I'm sure Doug thought you had to get to the airport for a 7 p.m. flight.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM

Actually I was thinking that the OP's hotel is down in the financial district. I'm still concerned about the train by 7.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM

No, I haven't been to the Intrepid--have only gone to NY with DD, but have said if I took DS (he's almost 20 now and is thus far pretty indifferent to the idea), it would be on the itinerary.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:39 AM

Now that I think about it, Kathifish may not be the poster who said she was staying way downtown. Sorry if I'm wrong about that. But the hotel location does affect whether or not a matinee is doable.

But I forgot something potentially important. I believe that ticketed Amtrak passengers can check bags at Penn Station. If Kathifish is taking Amtrak and not NJ Transit or Metro North, then that might be the best option for dealing with the bags if they choose to go to a matinee.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 09:37 AM

Speaking of bags, I am used to the idea of a hotel holding your bags for you (for free) either at the end or the beginning of your stay. But I was surprised recently at an overnight stay in NYC at Park Central Hotel when we arrived before noon and they charged us $7.50 per bag to hold them until our room was ready at 3.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 10:51 AM

Yes, I have checked bags at Penn Station for a nominal fee when I have an Amtrak ticket for that day. But she should check on this because I believe there is a time limit for checking the bags, like only within 2-3 hrs before your scheduled train, or something like that.