Search

3 days to see NY

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days to see NY

"The girls" are coming to NY this weekend for ONLY 3 days (first trip). Want to see a play, take ferry to see Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Station, China Town & cram anything else we can into a short trip. What are the "must sees" and how should we plan our itinerary so as not to waste time "traveling". Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Since its a girls' weekend, are you interested in shopping? Museums? Nightclubs?

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Shopping, some (time limit). Museums, maybe. Nightclubs, no.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:54 AM

To get to Liberty Island you need to get your ferry tickets in advance (online) or the lines can be humoungous. thenn there is still a security line to get on the boat (think airline security) and another line to get into the Statue once on the island. Frankly, I would just look at the outside from the ferry and go on to the Ellis Island Immigration Museum - which is brilliant - and waste less time standing on line.

You also must do the Met - but go to the web site and picka couple of departments to view - per haps the Costume Institue and the Impressionists - or whatever matches your interests,

Definitly do Top of theRock for a great overview (tickets are times - so not waiting).

MoMA if you're into modern art.

And I would go to broadwaybox.com to see which shows are offering discounts so you can order tickets in advance (again, you avoid wasting time standing on line at the TKTS discount both).
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM

I second the opinion of nytraveller.
Enjoy the SOL from outside, to save "good" amount of time, which you can spend either on times square or in central park or even just to walk in and around manhatten...best of luck.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice on the Ferry tickets. Didn't know I could get those online. Already decided we would probably just take the ride out and museum. Looking at Met info now. Thanks so much....
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM

The Met is open late on Fri and Sat nights (check website for hours). My girlfriends and I like to wander around a bit and look at art, then get a glass of wine in one of their little cafes - chat and feel relaxed while surrounded by great art! Also remember, the Met has a *suggested* admission price; it's not set in stone.

The MoMA has Free Fridays from 4-8pm. However, it's a zoo then, since regular tickets are a whopping $20. If you plan to go, get there before 4 so you can be towards the front of the line. The line moves quickly; it's the crowds inside that get zoo-ish!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Ellis Island is far more interesting than Statue of Liberty. Rooftop sculpture garden at Met Museum of Art -great art, great views. The new MOMA is also great, if you prefer modern. Yes to Grand Central Station, and Times Square too. Soho and Nolita great walking and shopping. Get a metro card - the subway is fast and safe.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM

You can do Statue of Liberty (agree that you should stay on the ferry and go directly to Ellis Island; you can always stop at SoL on your way back if you really feel the need), World Trade Center site, and Chinatown in less than a full day. Do you like Asian food? We can give reco's...

You also can combine Grand Central Terminal and MoMA (if you decide to go there), or the UN (go on a tour). And another combination would be the Met and a stroll in Central Park.

In what part of the city are you staying?
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM

Some of my favorite shopping places in NYC are:

ABC Carpet and Home-just gorgeous furniture and home accessories. People from all over the world shop there.

Saks Fifth Avenue--You might pop in there if you go to Rockefeller Center. I think Rockefeller Center is worthwhile to visit, as well as St. Patrick's Cathedral--a great example of neogothic architecture. Even if there is a Saks near you, you cannot beat the selection of the NYC store.

For younger shops, you might consider SoHo or Nolita. I am pushing 40, so I haven't shopped in those types of stores in years.

Also, if you want a great splurge meal, the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station is one of NYC's best restaurants.