Search

Statue of Liberty

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Statue of Liberty

Hi all. I hope I am not repeating the question but I can't find any mention of times on the web site. I am visiting NYC with 3 friends in the first 2 weeks of September and we want to visit the Statue of Liberty including the pedestal. We are thinking of booking our tix in advance and believe that this gives you some priority in going through security. Can anyone tell me how long we should allow to go through security before we board the ferry? We are thinking of trying to catch the 9am ferry.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 12:13 AM

I think you mean you crown, instead of pedestal.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 01:17 AM

Get your tickets ASAP, since they will likely be gone soon, and it is sold out. I was down there recently and there was a sign that looked like it had been up for a while that said all tickets were sold out.

You need to be there at least an hour before the ferry leaves and security is tight.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:58 AM

If you can;t find any times listed on the web site for your dates I think that means they are sold out (they sell out many weeks in advance). You may still be able to get ferry tickets - but that will only let you on the island - not to climb up into the crown.

In any case - you must arrive about 45 minutes in advance of your ferry departure even if you have a ticket (due to airline type security line) plus a line on the island to get into even the base of the Statue. For a trip to the Statue - including ferry waits and trip you need to allow about 5 hours - more like 6.5 or 7 if you go on to the Ellis Island Immigration Museum (which is brilliant).

If you can't get a statue or ferry ticket you can take a ride on the free Staten Island Ferry which gives a fairly up close view while crossing the harbor - and a great view of the Manhattan skyline on the way back.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:27 AM

http://www.statueofliberty.org/Visit...f_Liberty.html For ticket info.

We were there earlier this month. Crown tickets were sold out, so we planned on just going on the pedestal. You need tickets for every part of the statue. Different tickets allow different levels.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:36 AM

Whatever you want, I'd urge you to book your tickets in advance. If not, arrive at least 2 or 3 hours before the ferry you wish to take instead of 45 minutes.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:37 AM

Was at SOL last week. If you buy your ticket online (do it very soon!) you pick a time and when you print the ticket you will see that it specifies the time you chose and says something like "you must be at the security line by this time." You don't get priority for the security line. We had 9:00 tickets, got there around 8:50 and were through the line by 9:10. Ferry left at 9:30. They told us those lines become much longer as the days goes on. Once we were on the island, the line to get into the monument was surprisingly short (again, because of the early hour).

When you order your tickets, be sure you're getting the pedestal tickets; we saw a number of disappointed people who couldn't get into the monument because they didn't have the proper ticket.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 07:58 AM

I just looked at the website and you can still get crown access tickets on 9/12/2000. If those sell out, you can get the pedestal. The way you find out times is to first select your departure location and then the ticket type. Select "Book Tickets" then you have to select the ticket type and departure one more time to get the times available (indicated by an underlined date).

As others have said, book now. The Reserve Ticket does get you priority access to the security check in, which can save 1-2 hours. If you have any trouble, call the number and they have a call center which can do it all for you.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM

get a specific time ticket for the ferry.When you get there, look for an access point up front of the long line.What they do is let folks with timed tickets on first, then fill up the boat with everyone else.Therell be a security guy at that aceess point, so look for him.Dont waste time waiting at the end of the line
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, your help is greatly appreciated. We don't want to go to the crown just the pedestal and museum etc. and yes I am definately going to book now.