Search

One day in Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Ere

One day in Oahu

I love fodors message boards and read posts almost daily. I even take notes for myself. Now i decided to post a message myself and ask for your help and suggestions.

Me and my husband to be are going for our honeymoon to Hawaii in August.
We will arrive in Oahu around 12pm and will fly to Kauai the next day. We are staying at a hotel in Waikiki.
I thought that it would be really nice to do some sort of a "Circle Island Tour" in Oahu, and get the feel for the island. (Pearl Harbour is not #1 on my list).
It seems to me that all the tours leave really early in the morning. Does anyone know if there are any tours in the afternoon that we could take.
We are not very comfortable about driving in a big city and would not want to rent a car in Oahu.
Other suggestions on how to spend this one day in Oahu as well as best cheap places to eat and shop are welcomed as well.

ERE

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 09:15 AM
dave

My first inclination would be to simply relax at the beach or around the pool. Maybe stroll around and get some dinner and just unwind a bit. It might be tough to get a tour of the island with your arrival time, but you could do a sunset cruise if you don't mind spending the money. You could also book the Paradise Cove luau which is on the other side of the island where it looks like Hawaii rather than New York City. This luau picks you up at your hotel with a van( eliminating your need for a car), drives you through some nice scenery, gives you dinner and a show and returns you to your hotel. An awful lot considering your timetable. If I recall, we were picked up around 4:30 or 5 which would give you a couple hours to stroll around Waikikki before being picked up. Its a bit touristy, but fun, and in a very beautiful setting for sunset.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Tina

I found this island tour from fishbowl tours, https://www.fishbowltours.com/index_14.html
They will pick you up at 1PM from your hotel and drop you off at 5PM.
Goodluck!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Ere

Thank you both for good suggestions. My hubby thinks that it is a good idea to just hang out in Waikiki for the first day, and maybe go to the Chinatown or the Diamond Head.
How far is the Diamond Head from Waikiki, and is it possible to just take a bus to get there?
As our plane to Kauai leaves next day around 3pm, we might take a half island tour to see some sights the next day.
Do you think it will be worth it?
ERE

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:55 PM
karen

Chinatown isn't worth a special trip. The #22 and #58 bus runs from Waikiki to Diamond Head; however the stop is outside the crater and you'll have to hike in.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:44 AM
celina

I would recommend Dimond Head. But you should go early. We were there around 7:30 am and it was already getting hot. If you take the bus, you will have to do a bit more walking. Chinatown may be worth going if you want to have lunch. It is a different experience, but not worth making time for it if you only have one day.
If you are into Japanese, there are great Ramen places all over waikiki. Great lunch or dinner for less than $7 each.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Ere

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we'll do the DiamondHead? Does anyone know how far is the Hanauma Bay from Diamond Head or Waikiki? Is it possible to take a bus there too? Any other places that are must do in Oahu and doesn't require a car?

ERE

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:24 AM
xxx

Rent a car and drive to the north shore for the afternoon. Great beaches, laid back atmosphere. Perfect place to start the honeymoon. Dont go back until after dark and eat a late dinner at Sam Choys in Waikiki.

If you want to stay in Waikiki and not get a car, go hang out at Duke's Canoe Club and take a sunset cruise.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:59 PM
lcuy

ERE-
You can easily take a city bus from Waikiki or Diamond Head to hanauma bay. Actually, it is a good way to go as parking usually runs out early each day and doesn't open up until the afternoon. Hanauma is about 10 miles from Waikiki. From the end of Waikiki to the inside of Diamond Head crater is a very scenic walk of about 2 miles, or you can take a city bus. You can also easily take a bus to the Pali lookout, Pearl Harbor or even jump on a "circle island " bus, and do just that for the same $1.50. Only thing is the time factor.
Actually, with your schehule renting a car might be the best deal. Otherwise you have to pay for transportation to your hotel for 2 of you (twice) and you will spend a lot of time on the bus. Driving really isn't that bad here, and for about $30 you can get a car when you arrive and go to Hanauma bay for a little while, circle the island around the north shore, and get back in time for a nice dinner at 3660 on the Rise in Kaimuki or Nick's fishmarket in Waikiki.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:55 AM
jc

RENT A CAR. You have such a small amount of time to see so many wonderful and beautiful places. We didn't rent a car because we were afraid the traffic would be awful (IT wasn't). Next time we go we will rent a car. We spent to much time on The Bus.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:09 AM
dave

Just an opinion here on the bus, Ere. The same bus that runs toward Diamondhead also goes to Hanaumaua Bay, but two big problems exist. My wife and I tried this exact thing and found that first, the buses heading to Hanaumaua Bay are packed! In fact if you pick up at the wrong spot and a busy time, you may get bypassed and have to wait for the next one. We were bypassed twice before moving down to a better pickup spot. Also, I found the wait for a bus around diamondhead to take forever. We waited nearly 45 minutes to catch the bus heading from Diamondhead to Hanaumaua Bay. Nothing tries your patience like wondering if a bus is coming or not. If these activities sound like what you want to do, I offer these suggestions. For Hanaumaua Bay, take a snorkel tour. Even the expensive ones are only about $15pp, and they give you your gear and pick you up from the hotel and drop you back off. We went with Tommy Tours, and Tommy was nice enough to drop a few people off at Diamondhead on the way back to Waikikki.His tour was $15, but I was impressed with the service. Of course if you don't arrive until afternoon, you might not find a tour going that late to Hanaumaua Bay. If you just do Diamondhead and take a bus there, take a cab back to Waikikki. It doesn't cost but a few dollars more, and will save you the potentially long wait for the bus. You will be hot, and not in the mood for waiting. By the way, we love snorkeling Hanaumau Bay and would highly recommend this if it is between the two activities, but if you don't get to the island until afternoon, your options will be limited. Diamondhead closes at 6pm in case time is an issue.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Ere

Thanks for warning about long bus waits, this really doesn't sound like fun.
Snorkeling tour doesn't sound like a bad idea. Especially because me and my fiance will be doing snorkeling the first time.
I guess we could do it the second day.
Do you remember how long did this tour take? We are leaving Oahu at 3pm the second day. Would it be enough time to do it in the morning and still stop on our way back ot Diamond Head?