Any Reason To Go There?

Jul 10th, 2001, 05:07 AM
Just Curious

Any Reason To Go There?

Recently it was reported in the news that North Dakota was considering changing its name to simply Dakota in an attempt to help improve its image and tourism. Just curious as to whether anyone has been there and is there anything to see and do. One of my goals is to eventually visit every state and state capitol, however I must admit North Dakota is not currently at the top of the list.

Jul 10th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Paul Rabe

North Dakota's lack of population was, to me, one of its attractions. Teddy Roosevelt Nat Park has all the beauty and wildness of Badlands Nat Park, but with no crowds. It was there I got my best-ever view of a bison herd. Also saw 27 pronghorn sheep in two days. If you're into Lewis and Clark, this is also the place.

If you're into big city glamour, forget it. If you're into wilderness, this can get pretty good.

Jul 10th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Fargo Chick

Yes, the reason to come here is to escape population. (Thanks Paul!) Wide open spaces, native grass, rolling hills, buttes, good ethnic food -- and some of the most beautiful sunsets you could imagine.

Winters can be hell but we're well rewarded with terrific summers, low humidity and the most golf courses per capita in the U.S.

We usually lead the nation in per capita voter turnout, H.S. graduates, church goers, etc. And Fargo ranks high among best places to live (mainly because of two interstates crossing through).

Jul 10th, 2001, 09:59 AM
neverbeen

I'm sure that summer is the obvious answer, but when is the best time to visit? How late in the year before it is too cold? Are the folks friendly and open to visitors?

Jul 10th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Ess

Sounds great, but after seeing the movie "Fargo" I don't think I'd want to visit there in winter. What kind of ethnic food, Fargo Chick? I'm a chow hound. I live on the congested east coast, and a trip into wilderness and wide open spaces is like heaven to me.

Jul 10th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Derek

Fargo is home to the Roger Maris Museum, one of the most misunderstood stars in baseball history. It was Roger Maris' record that Mark McGwire broke a few years ago for most home runs in a season. Maris still holds another obscure sports record- most kickoff returns for touchdowns in a single game-4. He set it at the Catholic school he attended in high school.

Jul 10th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Jack

I always chuckle at those rankings of 'best places to live', like the one Money magazine publishes every year. When you add up a bunch of statistics only looking at crime per citizen between ages 20 and 30 and number of parking spaces per capita and the like you get some quirky results.
I lived in Rochester MN when it came out on top one year as the Best Place in America to live.
HA! What a joke. Even the locals had a good laugh. (Hint: it's NOT the best place in America to live....nor have I ever heard anyone else say so).
Fargo certainly has some redeeming qualities. I think it's greatest asset is its very nice, down to earth, good hearted people.
But as a place to live or vacation....well, I'm still choosing most places in at least 48 other states first.
Nothing personal Fargo Chick. And besides, if everyone loved Fargo it would ruin it for those who like it the way it is.

Aug 24th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Bismarckguy

North Dakota has the lowest rate of tourism in the country. There really isn't a whole lot to do. The best time to visit is not in the dead of summer. Our winters are ridiculously cold and the summers ridiculously hot. It often gets to be in the upper 90's in the summer. For the best sunsets (I've never seen better) go toward the end of harvest season, the entire state is a giant wheat field and with that much harvest dust rising into the atmosphere, it really makes for some amazing sunsets. If you want to see the capital (Bismarck) email me, I grew up there and can tell you where to stay and what to do. The Southwest corner of the state with Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park is definitely worth it. The view of the badlands is spectacular there and not nearly as crowded. Fargo is the largest city in the state, but I really think Bismarck hosts a friendlier lot of folks and I think the city is considerably cleaner. Of course, if you're looking for a college town, Fargo/Moorehead is the place to go. No matter where you go, they are the friendliest people in the country. I have gotten stranded on the Interstate between Bismarck and Fargo (200 miles of nothing) 4 times. Each time, the VERY FIRST CAR to drive by stopped and gave me a lift.

Aug 25th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Linda

My son lives in Grand Forks. Although I'd never live their myself (can't stand the cold), I have to admit it is one of the nicest towns in the country, if you take into account friendliness and wholesomeness. I visit frequently (in summer only) and am always impressed by the town. And I simply can't believe how well they bounced back after the devastating flood a few years ago. My son and his family love it there--though I can't but wonder what I did wrong when I raised him--I must have if he loves a place that gets so cold in the winter. And he was born in Arizona, too! (Sorry, son!)

Aug 25th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Caitlin

Ess, the movie "Fargo" took place in Minnesota.

Aug 25th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree with the characterizations of the friendly people and the wide open spaces. Teddy Roosevelt National Park is a gem. A couple of my favorite visits to North Dakota have been in the fall, when the skies are literally FILLED with huge migrations of waterfowl that pour over the border from their northern breeding grounds. Extremely high concentrations are found in the Devil's Lake area and around Bottineau. I can't tell you if North Dakota is worth a visit, but I'm happy that I've seen it myself.

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:22 AM
adie

If you're interested in history,natural settings or wildlife, this is the place for you. ND is a natural flyway for Canada Geese,ducks,cranes,pelicans, as well as many songbirds. Wildlife is abundant & can be seen nearly everywhere, especially in the evenings. Previous posters are right about the brilliant sunsets, as well as being able to clearly see the stars & northern lights at night. The areas from mid-state to the West have the most historical sites, related to Custer, Lewis & Clark, Teddy Roosevelt -Badland's colorful cliffs, rolling prairies,winding rivers - horseback riding,hiking,biking,covered wagon trips,canoeing,fishing,dinosaur hunting- clean,relaxed,safe campgrounds,etc. People are friendly. May to October is the best time to visit. If you want to relax, it's good - if you want fast-paced, it's not.