Traveling across Nebraska

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Lesley

Traveling across Nebraska

We will be traveling across Nebraska. Please tell us some good places to stop at Lincoln, North Platte, and other cities. Is there any unique and good places to eat?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Paul

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Nebraska football fan but...
Drive very fast and take few breaks to minimize your exposure to the boredom.
p

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Mom

Lesley,
Paul seems to have the stereotype of Nebraska down pat--too bad he's wrong (although I like your choice of teams, Paul) As a native Husker who's lived in the east, west and central parts of the state, I can give you some tips. Unfortunately if you're traveling through Nebraska on I-80, you're hitting the least visually interesting part of the state. I live in far western Nebraska where the elevation is over 3000 feet and we're surrounded by hills and bluffs. It's beautiful but 45 minutes from the interstate. If you can spare the time, get off the interstate at Sidney and head to Bayard and Chimney Rock/the Oregon Trail on Hwy. 26. This will help give you a sense of 'pioneer Nebraska.' We used to live in Lincoln and I'd be happy to give you restaurant names--any particular types of food that you're interested in? Touring the Platte River arch spanning I-80 at Kearney is interesting and fun--it makes a nice hour long stop. Buffalo Bill's house in North Platte is also worth a stop but I'd keep going through North Platte otherwise--not the greatest town. I don't know where you're from but if you want a "Nebraska" fast food, stop at a Runza restaurant pretty much anywhere that has fast food. Runza's are an offshoot of a German 'cabbage burger.' Kind of a meat/cabbage/spices mixture encased in a delicious bread. My grandma's were the best but these are good (for fast food) Stop in at just about any main street cafe in small Nebraska towns and you'll get good home cooking. Gothenburg's Main Street cafe is a good example--yum. Nebraska's an interesting state--from Lincoln to about Gothenburg you're in the Midwest. From Gothenburg west you're in the West. Climate is different, terrain is different and people are different. Kind of makes for an interesting mix once in awhile!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Rhudy

There are some great places to stop in Lincoln! I agree that if fast food is what you're looking for, Runza is definitely the way to go. They're all over town. Otherwise, the Haymarket on the West side of town has some great restaurants. Lazlo's Brewpub is a local favorite. If you want something a little more upscale, we love the Flatwater Grille downtown. Maybe start down the block at the beautiful Rococo theater for appetizers and drinks. Or, you could take a picnic to Pioneer Park on the far Southwest side of town. If you have kids, the Lincoln Children's Museum downtown would be a great place to burn off some extra energy.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:46 PM
deevee

Just make sure you make hotel reservations. Last summer we couldn't find a hotel with an available room for 175 miles. Go figure.