Search

Olympic Peninsula travel distances

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olympic Peninsula travel distances

Hello,
Looking to visit ONP in summer. Trying to decide if it makes sense to stay at one resort or two. Here are the places I want to see (in no particular order): ONP, Hoh, Hurrincane Ridge, Cape Flattery,Lake Crescent, Lake Ozzete. Should I split time between Lake Quinalt Lodge and Sol Duc...or are all places easily accessible from one of those resorts? Thanks much. Any driving times for those sites would be much appreciated too!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:58 AM
lovingheart

You will be very happy if you stay first at Lake Quinalt Lodge and then at Lake Crescent Lodge (rather than Sol Duc). The distances are not far. See maps.yahoo.com and click "driving distances."

ONP attractions (except for Lake Crescent) are not on the main road. You have to drive into Hoh and back out, out to Cape Flattery and back in, and so on.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would stay at Sol Duc mainly if you want to use the hot springs (which are available on a day use ticket also of course.) Otherwise Lake Crescent should do okay for a north coast location.

If you're planning several days, you probably ought to think about including Port Townsend and places over on the western side of the Peninsula as well as the north and west parts. The area around Sequim and Dungeness is covered in lavender fields in June/July for example, worth a picture or three.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 07:39 PM

jaci -we did this trip last summer and it was amazing. We stayed at the Lake Crescent Lodge for one night. It is in a beautiful spot with an adorable main lodge - fireplace, small bar, good restaurant and a darling screened porch where we spent the evening. Our room was very simple, connected to other rooms, with private entrance. Looked out on the lake, what a sight! Merymere (spelling) Falls hike through rain forest was one hightlight of this trip. In retrospect we should have stayed two nights. Drive from there to Lake Quinault Lodge next day took until about 7 that night because we stopped for hiking and soaking at Sol Duc, Hoh hike and the beach plus driving distance. Sol Duc Lodge not nearly as nice atmopheres as other two lodges I am mentioning. Lake Quinault Lodge also amazing. Wonderful salmon dinner, beautiful grounds, paddle boats and Lake Quinault. Stayed one night. Should have stayed two and enjoyed the lake. This trip will not disappoint.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:48 PM

I agree with detailtravelgirl. Crescent Lake Lodge is far more enchanting than Sol Duc and it has a very good restaurant, whereas Sol Duc does not. (This is where Laura Bush stayed a couple years ago when a forest fire kept her out of Glacier National Park.)

The walk to Marymere Falls is also one of our favorite easy hikes. I am eager for the lodge to reopen.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:23 AM

Plan on quite a bit more driving time than the mileage would indicate. Most of the roads are two lane, they're wind-y and you spend lots of time behind logging trucks. (But it's a beautiful area.)
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:28 PM

The drive up to Sol Duc is narrow, winding and long. It's basically a campground with a big swimming pool. I would skip Sol Duc and spend the extra time elsewhere.

Lake Quinault Lodge is very, very nice. There are many ranger guided walks to learn about the forest and ecosystems of the park. Kalaloch Lodge is perched on a cliff overlooking the Pacific and many of the rooms are log cabins.

IMHO, "must-sees" include:
Hoh Rain Forest
Marymere Falls
Lake Quinault
Hurricane Ridge
Any of the beaches - Rialto, Second, First

Enjoy your time there, it is a magical place!
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

My thanks to all who responded! My hotels are booked for my August trip. Staying a few nights at Paradise to see Mt. Ranier, several nights at Lake Crescent to take in as much of the park as possible and then a night (or maybe 2) in Seattle. You have all been very helpful and I always wonder...how did I plan my trips before I found Fodor's!! Happy Travelling!
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the report. You have made excellent choices. Travel Hint: Now is the time to book dinner reservations. I haven't eaten at Paradise Inn lately, but in recent years the restaurant at Lake Crescent Lodge has been one of the best places to eat on the Olympic Peninsula.

Also, put the hike from Crescent Lake Lodge to Marymere Falls at the top of your "to do" list.