Olympic National park in early October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have read the comments here on Olympic NP. We will be going in early Oct. prior to a Seattle Conference, and will only have 2 days/2 nights. What will the weather be like? Good websites to check out? Should we stay on north side one night and west side one night? Recommendations on places to stay with great view, but reasonably priced (say $150 a night or less)?? Any other good advice- with so little time- what are the "absolutely do not miss" things? Thanks a bunch.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM
ALF

The weather in early October should be OK, but there is always the chance of extended rain, particularly on the west side. It will get a bit cool at night - you will need a jacket.

Yes, I would stay on the north side the first night, then along the west coast during the 2nd night. There are lots of choices. We like the old park lodges: Lake Crescent Lodge near Port Angeles, and Kalaloch Lodge near Forks. They are both a bit rustic, and some will say that they are past their prime, but we still like staying in the Park. In particular, we the seaside bluff cabins at Kalaloch are very scenic.

You definitely need to drive up the road to Hurricane Ridge. If the weather is good, there are incredible views. Also, a beach walk on nearby Dungeness Spit is worthwhile. If you stay at Lake Crescent, you should rent a rowboat and head out into the lake. You should also walk a few Pacific coast beaches, in particular Ruby Beach and Beach 4. Another great thing to do is drive up into the Hoh River Rainforest. There are fine walks to take, as well as longer hikes up toward the Olympic Mtns.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:33 AM

The official NPS web page is www.nps.gov/olym. Can answer most of your questions & has links to lodging information outside park.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:08 AM

I suggest you travel clockwise from Seattle, stopping at Quinault Lake Lodge, Kalaloch, Ruby Beach, and Hoh Rainforest.

Spend both nights at Crescent Lake Lodge (beatiful setting, good restaurant). From here, hike to Marymere Falls and visit Hurricane Ridge and other points of interest to you.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Early October CAN be great, with fall colors and good weather, but it might also be cool and wet. So definitely plan for it and hope for the best. I'd skip the southern part of the park-I don't think the drive is scenic and the southern attractions like Lake Quinault, for me, pale in comparison to Hurricane Ridge, the wilderness beaches, and the Hoh rainforest.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:22 PM

I totally agree, which is why I take visitors clockwise to get the southern stuff (that they insist on seeing) out of the way.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:10 PM

If you leave Seattle and go clockwise in the ONP what route do you take??? What would the travel time be from Seattle (north side) to Kalaloch Lodge?? From Kalaloch to Hoh rainforest??
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:39 PM

The routing is I-5 south and then 101. It is about 185 miles to Kalaloch--a 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive.

If you want to stop for lunch, Olympia is your best bet. We like Anthony's and Bud Bay Cafe. Both are on the water, and both give you a chance to check out our Capital.

On the way to Kalaloch, take time out to visit Quinault Lake Lodge--clearly marked.

To get to the Hoh rain forest from Kalaloch, take 101 about 30 miles to the turn off. The rain forest is off the road--about an hour drive each way. If you can't decide which hike to take--do the Hall of Moses.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the info. We are thinking about staying in the Forks area for 2 nights as base camp. Any suggestions for lodgeing. We are going in August mid-week. Thanks again.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:47 PM

I should add, that if Crescent Lake Lodge is open during your visit, you should spend one night there. The setting is beautiful, the restaurant is good, and the location is great for sightseeing.

Take the short hike to Marymere Falls.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:58 PM

We waited too late for reservations in the National Park except a camping cabin. Any suggestions for a base camp?? Is Port Angeles too far away from the beachs or Hoh rain forest?
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Keep trying for a spot at Lake Crescent Lodge. Cancelations have to made 72 hours before arrival or they pay for the first night.

Forks is a town of 3,000. It is like hundreds of other such towns except it gets a lot more rain and has a higher unemploment rate.

Port Angeles is a better option, if you can't eventually get a room at Lake Crescent Lodge.

I regret to report that the Hoh Rain Forest is not as thrilling as you might expect. It's not, for instance, as eye-popping as the rain forest you could visit a short drive from San Juan, PR.

From the lodge at Lake Crescent you can take a delightful hike to a waterfall that passes through an old-growth forest that has about as much moss as the Hoh rain forest, which is a one-hour detour off Highway 101.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM

I will keep trying...What are the not to miss hikes....nothing longer than 3 miles (our youngest is 8). After your advice I am considering skipping Hoh. We plan on spending 3 days in the area. Our plan includes Ruby beach, Rialto beach, Hurricane Ridge, Sol Duc.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:04 AM
ALF

I'd disagree about the Hoh Rainforest. True enough, it is not 'eye-popping' in terms of spectacular scenery, but there is a lot to be said for strolling through the incredibly dense foliage and the giant trees. If you are on the coast anyway, it is not that far out of the way.

A cool hike off Hurricane Ridge can be had at the end of the Obstruction Peak road. This is a smallish dirt road spur that goes off the Hurricane Ridge road, near the top. From Obstruction Peak, you will already be far from the crouds, and you can walk the ridgeline, which gently undulates through the heart of the Olympics. The trail continues on to Deer Park, but that is something like 7-8 miles away. Just head out for a while, then head back.

Another nice walk is out to the end of Dungeness Spit, near Port Angeles. The kids will love this one, as the beaches are totally covered in driftwood that affords endless exploring and construction opportunities.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:23 AM

1fredrick1,

As you can see, there are quite divergent views about what you should "absollutely not miss" on your two-day, two-night visit to the Olympic Penninsula. Good luck in sorting through the suggestions.

HTTY