Old Ranch Inn Palm Springs

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Ranch Inn Palm Springs

Have just booked the above for a short stay in May. I have read the reviews and while the Inn sounds wonderful, I am now concerned that due to it being 'small & intimate' there may be issues around not having ones own privacy. Have any Fodorites been, and what did you think.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DH & I were in PS in November and stayed at the Rendezvous(another "historical & restored" motel, which we thought was great). We did a little "tour" on our own of the historical motels and Old Ranch Inn was very nice, along with the Coyote Inn next door. Yes, they are small with a center courtyard setup around the pool. But we like that. Plus they are only a few blocks from the main, downtown area. This makes it handy for going for meals, shopping and entertainment. The neighborhood is quiet with no road noise at night.

I am not sure what kind of privacy issues you are concerned about. Old Ranch is one story, set up with all the doors opening into the pool area. You can't stand naked with the curtains open, but it seemed like a tranquil setting.

If you do stay, please report back.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MichelleY, I know I sound strange, and no I will not be standing naked with the curtains open,maybe 30 years ago, but not now, although there was that time in Key West, but thats another thread! The thing is I am not American and don't really do that 'lets all chat in the pool together' thing, so just wondered if it was that sort of place, I do sound an old misery don't I.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Coldplay - Hummm, you would hate me because I love to chat in the pool, near the pool etc. I am a very friendly American I guess. The more alcohol involved, the more I like to chat. In fact, when we were there in November, we met a very nice couple from Marin County and ended up having dinner and cocktails each evening. I was calling them "our new best friends"!

I think it would depend on you and how approachable you are. May is not high season, so the place may not even be that full. Perhaps a larger, resort type place may be better for you?

Good luck,

MY
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:24 PM

wow, good discussion.

I am pretty familiar with many of the "boutique" hotels in that area and love them as an alternative to the "mega-resort" feel of some other major hotels.

Agree with Michelle--in terms of being left alone, the smaller places don't tend to attract that crowd. I think they gravitate more toward the anonymity afforded by the big places. But the history and locations near downtown PS are really fun.

Hope you make the choice that's right for you and have a fabulous time.

PSL
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 07:53 AM

The one thing you may have to be careful of with large resorts is noisy children around the pools. May can definitely be pool weather. The boutique places don't tend to have many children. So if you consider a separate resort find one that doesn't have a Kid's club, and has an adult /quiet pool. Or you may wish you went to a smaller resort!
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 07:11 PM

mlgb is right on about the pools!
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice, and mlgb has a good point re kids which really annoy me especialy when they start that stupid marco polo thing that is truly inane. I think the Old Ranch Inn specically caters for adults so that is a good thing. I am sure I will be fine with the smallness of it, I will just have to learn to speak to people!!
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 09:25 AM

Or you can just wear the big sunglasses and not!!
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

mlgb- LOL Good idea.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM

I am not sure about Old Ranch, but the place we stayed, the Rendezvous, did not allow children under 14 or so. A big plus in my book too.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MichelleY I will make a note of the Rendezvous for next year. I will let you know re the Old Ranch Inn kid wise.