Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Old or Interesting Diners? Eateries? Farmer's Markets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My husband and I are visiting DC proper next week on Thursday/Friday to visit the Green Home Exhibit at the Nat'l Building Museum and we love to check out old diner style restaurants - you know, one big counter, all locals, cheap good food - or just the local eateries (not the touristy places). Any suggestions? We also love Farmer's Markets and Antique Markets - does DC have this?

Thanks!

Jeenie from Michigan
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:49 PM

ttt for jeenbean:
but if you don't get many responses, y ou might want to repost this with a title that has DC in it so those who are familiar with DC will be more likely to open it - ie; "Looking for Diners and markets in DC" etc.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Most of the Farmers and Antique Markets occur on the weekend, but Eastern Market on Capitol Hill is open during the week.

As for diners or local eateries, DC is an odd town. Unlike New York or Philly or Chicago, there aren't a lot of diners and the like in the city core. I have a could of suggestions

1. Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street (near the U Street Metro) is a quintiessential DC locals experience. It serves chili and "half smokes" (a spicier hot dog) and is legendary in DC and especially as a fixture in DC's African American community. It's worth a visit to Ben's to see U Street, a neighborhood that captures the non-federal sense of DC.

2. 5 Guys Hamburgers, which are now everywhere. They started in the 'burbs, but you can now find them in the city.

3. Annies Paramount Steakhouse -- this is a quirky choice. Annie's has been described as the gay Denny's, but it's basically a reasonably priced steakhouse on 17th Street, which has long been the epicenter of DC's gay community. On any given evening (and at lunch and 24-hours on weekends), the place will be packed with gay men and lesbians, as well as local non-gays who know this is a great place to get cheap steaks and chops.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Try the Eastern Market for a great local lunch. VEry cheap and very good food.Eat at the place that has the tables in front of the counter. This is also a farmers market but dont expect Pikes place!
They have a flea market on the weekends outside as well.
It was the best lunch we had on our trip...and it also cost the least!
FYI I had the pulled pork sandwich but they had everything from crabcakes, chowder, fresh fish, and several other sandwiches. They were also incredibly busy during the lunch hour. Try to time it just after lunch if you want a table. Have fun!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM

The Market Lunch at Eastern Market will definitely meet your needs, although it's too bad you're not there on the weekend because that's when the antique / flea / craft market action really is in full swing.

You might also want to check out Colorado Kitchen and 2 Amy's, both local favorites. And since you're there during the week, Breadline in Dupont is a unique local experience.

Are you open to ethnic food as well? Because there are lots of places that fit your description but aren't serving your typical American diner fare. Malaysia Kopitiam (Dupont), Huon Que (Arlington), and Etete (U Street) all come to mind.

If you care to venture out to the suburb's of Maryland, the Tastee Diner (Bethesda, Silver Spring), Crisfield's (Silver Spring), and the Quarry House (Silver Spring) would likely do, as well, although it would be a ways to venture for a meal, even though all are Metro accessible.

Enjoy your trip! Cheers, Carrie

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Real estate it too expensive in DC to have a lot of cheap eateries. A lot of them just have closed and aren't around any more, even if they once existed.

I think Ben's Chili Bowl is one obvious idea (probably better for breakfast), as well as the nearby Florida Avenue Grill. They have both been around a long time.

More downtown and not too far from the Bldg Museum, I'd suggest Reeve's Bakery and Cafe at 1306 G st which is cheap and historic. It burned down once so it's not the same building, but it is a DC institution and has been for many years. It's better for desserts, as the name suggests (it is a bakery), but has some other light food, sandwiches, etc.

There are a couple diners in Adams Morgan (The Diner and Duplex Diner) on 18th street, but they are newer places that are more trendy, not establishments left over from the 40s with linoleum floors.

Eastern Market is no doubt your best bet, but you don't really come to DC for farmers markets or antiques. The farmers that come to many of the local street markets are from Pennsylvania, No Carolina, etc. as this isn't a big agricultural area (DC isn't at all, obviously). I don't think you'll find cheap antiques here, either, that is better outside the city in other places and small towns or other states. I just don't think either farmers or antiques is DC's forte, you'd probably do better at home for either one.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM

The Florida Avenue Grill, 1100 Florida Avenue, a couple of blocks from Ben's Chili Bowl, is just what you describe. Counter service and some booths, good southern diner fare; country ham, biscuits and gravy, pork chops, breakfasts, etc. Check out the review on Roadfood.com, with photos. It's exactly as it is pictured on the site. A gem.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Reeves is a good suggestion.

While not "dinery," two "locals" restaurants I didn't mention are Luna Grill on Conn. Ave and Stoney's Bar near Logan Circle.

Luna has a "woo woo" San Francisco/E. Village vibe to it, but is very popular with locals. Cheap, interesting food. The same owner also owns Mimi's and Busboys and Poets.

Stoney's was an institution in DC where Secret Service Agents, Washington Post reporters, prostitutes, and regular DC folk use to go for great burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches (and beer). The place closed down, but recently reopened a few block away at 14th and P Street. The new 'hood is more lofts and gentrifiers then cops and hookers--and there's no more smoking--but the place always looks packed.

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM

I always get meals at Whole Foods.
I am not sure of all the locations but there is one right at the Tenleytown metro stop and at least one other store near Georgetown.
Great place to pick up picnic stuff to eat in the parks.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for the cool tips! We will try these out for breakfast and maybe lunch too!

I had been to Ben's Chili Bowl once before and that type of atmosphere is exactly what we love - very local and very busy!

Thanks again,
Jeenie
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM

The one diner that fits the bill of what you described is the Waffle Shop, currently facing extinction: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...es=Restaurants Open for breakfast and lunch only.

Very close to the Building Museum, you might consider Third and Eats:
http://www.washingtonian.com/restaurantreviews/84.html