Search

Off Broadway Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Broadway Suggestions

Greetings,

I'm looking for off-Broadway recommendations for a family of four (two teens and two adults) THIS week (before Thanksgiving)? Thinking of Frankenstein, Gone Missing, Crime & Punishment, Miss White House, or Speech & Debate. Any thoughts?

We also have dinner reservations at Circo. Please post any warnings if you think that's a dreadful choice! Looking for casual chic - good service and atmosphere, hopefully decent food.

Thanks in advance...
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Osteria del Circo? Wonderful. Excellent food and service -- not cheap by a long shot. Have you looked at their menu?
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Neo! I'm glad it will (hopefully) be good.
Yes, I have reviewed the menu.
Do you know they are one of the restaurants offering 15% off this week (except for Thanksgiving day)?
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 03:55 PM

According to this website, they are, for both lunch and dinner - this lists all of the restaurants offering the discount:

http://www.nycvisit.com/_assets/pdf/diningdistrict.pdf
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Sara, they are. I'm sure that link will be helpful to others at this site, as well.

Anybody have thoughts on the off-Broadway shows? I'm so disappointed we probably won't be able to use our tickets to Curtains.

Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 05:49 PM

I too would be interested in sugestions for off-broadway,

Thanks
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 03:07 AM

Depending on the age of the teens (younger is better), Altar Boyz has been very popular. Blue Man Group is another perrenial favorite.

Here's a list from the NY Times with their picks, a few of which are on your list.
http://theater.nytimes.com/pages/the...way/index.html
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 04:14 AM

from the List that mclaurie has sent I don't know how it will be the ny show but I've seen the cirque du soleil 4-5 times in Spain and in Vegas and it's wonderful! really worth it! and for all ages!
Off broadway I have tickets for december for the Alvin Ailey Ballet (but not sure if the teens will like it...)
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 04:24 AM

I saw Blue Man Group on tour on Saturday night, and was very disappointed. Perhaps their tour shows are designed for large spaces/ arenas and the NYC show is different, but neither of us really enjoyed the show. MUCH too loud - more like a rock concert.

I've wanted to see them for years and the show was not at all what I expected. Maybe someone who has seen the show in NYC can share their input. I was really disappointed.

Regarding Cirque - I love Cirque shows, but Wintuk is getting REALLY bad reviews from critics and "real folks" alike. Check out the 6 pages of "real people reviews" on TripAdvisor forums. There seems to be a consensus that this show is not a winner.

Sorry to be a downer
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 05:00 AM

This show is great.

http://www.spellingbeethemusical.com/

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, McLaurie - That's funny because that's where I got my list! Dont' know where we'll end up.... Maybe a museum instead. We've been to BMG, and don't want a Cirque show in NYC... Alvin Aily might be good... Thank you all for trying to help. Can't believe our show is cancelled. It will be a LONG time before we make all the arrangements for specific show again.

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Had a wonderful day in NYC despite the cancelled Broadway shows. Ended up spending a good deal of time at the MOMA instead, and just walking around and window shopping. The weather was so beautifully warm! Enjoyed the Christmas market at Bryant Park, as well.

Dinner at Osteria del Circo was absolutely wonderful. Enjoyed wonderful service, great atmosphere, and fabulous pastas, Dover sole, veal scallopini, cheeses and desserts. The creme brulee was the best I've ever had.

And to top it all off - a wonderful Thanksgiving with family the next day.

Thanks for all your help. Happy Holiday season, everyone!