Dinner in Johannesburg

Mar 6th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Dinner in Johannesburg

We have a couple of nights in Johannesburg before venturing out. Does anyone have a favourite place to have dinner? We eat anything. Someonewhere really nice to make our trip more memorable.Doesnt have to be really expensive. Just good food!
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM

Hello,

What sort of food do you enjoy? I'm a foodie and have spent quite a bit of time in Joburg. Both Melville and Greenside are great resaurant neighbourhoods (guess where I stay when I'm in town?). The restaurants are small local places with a lot of character and excellent food. My favourite restaurant in Joburg is Yum in Greenside:

http://www.yum.co.za/maps/maps_1.htm

Soi, Pomegranate, and Chaplin's in Melville are all worth a look as well.

A great guide to restaurants in SA is Eat Out:

http://www.eatout.co.za

Hope you find a place you like!

Cheers,
Julian
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:13 AM
santharamhari

Julian,

I didnt know you were a foodie.....anyway, prior to my trip i need to email you for suggestions, depending on where i am staying. I am usually either in Sandton or the airport intercontinental....

Mar 7th, 2006, 05:26 AM

To add to Julian's suggestions (and I concur about Yum!), another site is www.dining-out.co.za. It's one of those (and there are others) that are "puffery" rather than genuine independent reviews, but I find it useful because it includes menus.

The eatout site did have a good reputation for independence, although I found the web version (as opposed to the hardcopy guide) often out of date, it seemed not to be able to keep pace with closures. I'd better be careful and say I'm not 100% certain, but I think the most recent print version that has been extensively advertised (even on TV) got slammed by a local newspaper food critic.

If I'm right, then that critic was Victor Strugo, who writes for the Saturday Star. And who I think used to be a reviewer for Eat Out. OK, so that's an obvious suspicion of sour grapes, but he claims not.

In any event, some of Victor's reviews can be found at www.cookingbear.com/pagebuilder.php?zone=4.
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:30 AM

The reason I suggested Victor Strugo, is that most of his reviews are of Jo'burg restuarants, because that is where he is based and that's the newspaper's main circulation area. You'll see the full list if you go to Recent Reviews amd "more" on that page.
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Ah, I see now that my memory's not so bad after all. Strugo's reflections on Eat Out can be found under "Random Reflections" in that list. But in the end, one man's opinion. Although he does agree with both Julian and me about Yum. ("Yum and Yummer".) And I've found his reviews reliable when I've frequented the same restuarants. He is also knowledgeable about food and its history, an essential for a good food critic.
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Are these restaurants usually open on Sunday nights? How expensive is a taxi from Sandton? Thanks
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Hello,

Quite a few restaurants in SA do close on Sunday evening (including Yum, unfortunately). If you find a place you like, it's a good idea to check with them to make sure they are open on Sunday -- Eat Out isn't always right in this regard.

Cheers,
Julian
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Hi

We had dinner at a place called Moyo and I thought that was pretty good. I have posted a bit more details about it in my trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/johannesburg_...frica_2004.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:43 PM

Just as a clarification, I'm not dismissing the Eat Out website out of hand., I use it myself sometimes. Its advantage is that irrespetive of what other food critics think of the reviewers, the reviews are independent and not sourced from the restaurants' PR companies. I was just warning that you should check if the restaurant that is listed actually exists. I tried to e-mail the site a long while ago to tell them the mistakes I had found, but the e-mail link didn't work then.

But I suppose if you are given recent recommendations such as those in this thread, the chances that it's now not there are pretty slim. And the best restaurants will obviously be reasonably stable, both in existence and quality.

With a quick glance and my relatively limited knowledge, I see at least six in the Eat Out list for Johannesburg that are no more. One of those closed at least two years ago, and its premises have had three different guises and names since, the most recent metamorphosis was just a week ago. In most cases if a restaurant closes, it will be replaced by another, and I guess that could be good or bad, depending on your expectations when you arrive!

Another personal recommendation is Bistro 277 On Main. It's another example of a change of name and ambience, but in this case not in a bad sense. It used to be Ile de France, but is now a more relaxed bistro with less formal decor, but the same chef/patron and most of the old menu favourites still there. Read the reviews.

I also love Casalinga Ristorante, as a romantic venue in a beautiful location and with great food, although I haven't been there for quite a while. It is owned by Gary Player's daughter and her husband. But not such a good choice for a visitor without transport, it is a little out of town (Muldersdrift, North of Johannesburg and down a dirt road off one of the main roads). A good spot for a Sunday lunch too, it's in large and attractive grounds.

Search this Thread