Kichwa Tembo Rondavels

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kichwa Tembo Rondavels

Kichwa Tembo's two thatched en suite rondavels overlook the Sabaringo River, shaded by tall Fig and Ebony Trees. This is the only info I find on the web site. I am looking at three nights at Kichwa Tembo tents and am now told that for two nights I can get a tent and one night in a rondavel. I have no idea what the difference is. has anyone been there that can explain the difference to me.
Thanks
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:56 AM

What website did you see this information on? I visited the Kichwa Tembo page on the CCAfrica website, and saw only tented accommodation. Are you staying at the main camp or Bateleur Camp?

I haven't stayed at this specific camp, but I have stayed on other CCAfrica camps. In general, rondavels have solid walls (can be brick, stone, or clay) and a thatched roof. They are more substantial and may be more luxurious than a tent, but will not feel so much a part of the bush as the solid walls will screen out a lot of the bush noise.

If you want more specifics, email or ring CCAfrica -- they are very good about getting back to people and answering questions.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:59 AM

http://www.ccafrica.com/destinations...ccom-tents.asp
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Bizarre...if you enter through the main page and click through the links to Kichwa Tembo, you get a completely different page which doesn't mention the rondavels.

http://www.ccafrica.com/accommodatio...11/lodgeid-2-2
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:52 AM

The Rondavels at Kichwa Tembo are accommodations that they use in an emergency when the camp is full - for the rest of the time they are used as accommodation for pilots and guides. They are perfectly clean and acceptable but obviously don't have the same charm as sleeping in a tent !
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:15 AM
bwanamitch

Kavey,

CCAfrica have updated their site to a new page structure in February 2004. Your link points to the old site.
(Nasty that they still host the old pages, isn't it.)

Mitch

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:23 AM

I just went to google and did a search on "Kichwa Tembo Rondavel" and found the link that way.

Even if they had taken the old pages down, chances are they'd still be cached somewhere if it were a recent change...
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I am still researching this trip with questions in to my operator about Basecamp and a few other accomadations but if I decide on Kitchwa Tembo it looks like I will need to spend 2 nights in tent and 1 night in Rondavel.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:22 AM

If the Rondavels are more basic, ask for a discount. You should get one.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Hi
This looks like the accomodation I have been offered at Kitchwa tembo for 3 nights in August.(see my other thread)
We have been told by our agent Africapoint that the accomodation is of the same standard as the tents and haven't been given a discount.
I am investigating further.
Will let you know.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Hi Kate,

Yes, this does sound like the same accommodation you've been offered -- maybe that's what rang a bell with your previous post.

The guide accommodation definitely costs the agent less, so you should be getting a discount -- if not, you may want to look at changing agents.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:16 AM

hi all

I have asked my agent africapoint to see if he can get some pictures of the "cottages". I'll let you know if I receive any.

Africapoint have told me these are of the same standard as the tents and inferred they are not guide accomodation-hence no discount.
Having already paid a deposit to secure the other accomodation (we're going in high season-august) we can't really change agents now.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Hi Kate,

Hopefully you receive the pictures soon and are happy with them. If not -- as wonderful as KT is, have you considered switching to another camp nearby?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:00 AM

Hi Julian
CCafrica is investigating for me.
We have considered moving to another camp but as it is in the height of the season, mid august we are finding it difficult to get definate accomodation for 7 of us.
We want tented accomodation if possible in the kichwa area (as we have had to take lodges in Amboseli and Nakuru)-any suggestions?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:11 AM

Hello,

Finding accommodation for a party of seven in August is definitely going to be a challenge -- ideally, you probably want 3 rooms. If your budget can handle it, you might want to enquire about some of the more expensive options, as they don't tend to sell out as fast, such as Kichwa Tembo Bateleur Camp.

There are a number of other tented options nearby. Saruni Camp has gotten very good reviews from people who have stayed there:

http://www.sarunicamp.com/

Other options are Kicheche Mara Camp and Olonana

http://www.kicheche.com/

http://www.sanctuarylodges.com/olonana.htm

I'm not sure if you definitely want to stay outside the national park (for night drives and walking), but one option inside the park which has tented rooms is Governor's Camp (Main Camp, Little Governor's, Il Moran, Governor's Bush Camp, and Governor's Private Camp)

http://www.governorscamp.com

Rekero Tented Camp was my choice for a stay in the Mara, as it has a great location and is known for its superb guiding by Maasai rangers:

http://www.rekero.com/

Good luck with finding something!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:13 AM

katecox,

Here are some other options you can look into if you haven't already (listed roughly in my order of preference for location at that time of year).

The only other tented camps in the immediate area of Kichwa Tembo are Bateleur, Olonana, and the Governor's camps. A little farther north is Serian and I would check into that as well. I believe Canechick posted a very positive report about that camp recently.

Over by the Talek River are Rekero, Intrepids and Explorer. Farther along the Talek and outside of the reserve are Fig Tree, Basecamp and Ilkeliani.

Kicheche, Saruni, Richard's, and Mara Safari Club are farther northwest and about an hour and a half from the Kichwa Tembo area. Are you flying or driving to the Mara? When I stayed at Kicheche, they were taking guests on an extended game drive with breakfast into the reserve in the morning leaving camp at about 6:30am and returning to camp around 1:00pm for lunch. In the afternoon, they would stay in the Kicheche area for a shorter game drive. If you stay up here and have your own vehicle, you can also do that if you want to go into the reserve. Just have them pack a breakfast or lunch to take with you.

Have you seen Eben's site with maps of the Mara? He has maps with the locations of accomodations, wildebeest crossing points and best area to stay to see the migration - http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/masaimarai.htm

Good luck! Let us know if you find something.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Try Serian Camp - in NW Sector - outside of Mara - so night drives and lots of wonderful game. I loved it there and can't wait to go back. It seems not too many folks know if it - I sure didn't but what a hidden gem...
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your ideas- wish i'd known about this site before booking.
I'm still waiting for a reply from CCafrica regarding the "cottages". We did investigate Kicheche but we are driving into the Mara with our own driver and Kicheche are only taking fly in guests in July and August.
Kichwa is really at the top of our budget so although I'd love to go to Bataleur its beyond me.
Our agent also says serin is more expensive.
we are staying at Ilkeliani for a couple of nights but we have children with us and my sisters boys need constant entertainment so decided to move on to a camp with a pool , hence kichwa.