Search

Post Theatre Dinner Suggestions for this weekend

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Theatre Dinner Suggestions for this weekend

Hi fellow fodorites,

Tony and I are heading to NYC this weekend and meeting up with friends from Vermont. I booked tickets to see Spamalot on Sunday at 7pm.

Been reading this site for NYC restaurant suggestions, which can be
overwhelming. ViceVersa is one of many recommendations, but it's not available for us either pre or post theatre. Another suggested to get out of the theatre district. Our hotel is located on 53rd stree and 3rd avenue, so I'm wondering if there are any recommendations between the the theatre district and our hotel.

Haven't been to NYC in 5 years, so I'm sure dining prices have gone up. So, my guess is to say the four of us would be interested in a place with a pre-fixe dinner (approx $35pp) or regular dinner, around $44-50 per person, not counting drinks.

We love all kinds of food except Tony doesn't care for Indian.

We'll be in NYC for 3 nights, so any other recommendations is appreciated, although I have started my list.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Monica
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Not far from your hotel is Pampano, an upscale seafood/mexican restaurant at
209 E. 49th (betw 2nd & 3rd). Check out www.modernmexican.com

When eating pre-theater, I prefer to dine very near the theater to avoid the stress of possibly being late.
So, I would eat here on a different night - just my opinion.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Also, I think Vong (French/Thai) has a $35 pre-theater deal. 200 East 54th (3rd Ave). See www.jean-georges.com

Not sure of your age, but Tao (Pan-Asian) is an experience - very showy, young and happening, but with surprisingly good food - but pricey - I wouldn't do it pre-theater. 42 East 58th St (Mad and Park).
See www.taorestaurant.com
BTW - I'm not 20 something and I've enjoyed the whole scene there.

The location of your hotel tends to pricey restaurants. You can certainly venture out to other areas.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:48 AM

It's Mother's Day!!!

Here's a thought, but I haven't eaten there yet. ViceVersa opened a new sister restaurant on 44th, between 8th and 9th -- very close to Spamalot! It's call Etcetera, Etcetera. Open Table shows availability for 9:45 or 9:30 which should work well after Spamalot, scheduled to end at 9:20. Fixed Price dinner is $35 with nice ala carte menu also.
Here's the website:

www.etcrestaurant.com/index2.htm
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

NeoPatrick, do you think booking the 9:30pm is okay or should I ask for 9:45pm? Looks great on their web site!

Monica
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM

I suggest that you call the restaurant and tell them what you're seeing. They will probably know what the best time for your reservation will be.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Will do! Thanks!!

Monica
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Howard's right. While I always look at Playbill for telling me how long the show is -- it rarely is that accurate, and add up to 10 minutes just to get out of the theatre, and who knows? Also lately it seems like no Broadway show starts on time -- 5 minutes late is not unusual, and 10 minutes seemed to be the norm for us last summer. But in NYC, it seems if you're at a place within 15 minutes or even more of your reservation, no one seems to mind. So you really can't go wrong with either of those times. I prefer being early for a reservation rather than late as a general rule.

Let us know if you go, how Etcetera, Etcetera was. I like the menu and it's certainly less pricey than ViceVersa.
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

I called the restaurant and told the person I have 9:30pm reservations and he was fine with it; just told me to call him if we were running late. Not sure how I can do that if the show is still going on, but will call the second it ends.

Yes, I will report back with a trip journal with all the places we ate! I saw one web site with lots of very good reviews of the restaurant. One negative comment from a few is that it's very noisy.

Monica
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:46 PM

One thing we've found as post-theatre diners rather than pre-theatre diners, other than Joe Allen and a couple other places, rarely do we find even the theatre district restaurants as busy after theatre as before -- and therefore less noisy. We've been astounded the number of times we've dined after theatre at places that we know are packed pre theatre and find ourselves practically the only ones there -- at least by the time we leave.

Did you look at the reviews on menupages? There was one complainer that was kind of funny including that the desserts were too exotic or off the wall for their tastes. Here are just a few of the selections -- off the wall?????

Warm Valhrona Chocolate Cake served with vanilla ice cream

Selection Of Ice Cream And Sorbets

Sicilian Pistachio Creme Brulee

Black And White Chocolate Mousse

Classic Sicilian Style Cannoli served with lemon mousse
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick,

Too funny! I guess there are those out there that find foods too off the wall for their taste. I think the menu looks great and hearing your comments about restaurants not being as crowded post-theatre than pre sounds great.

No, I didn't read those reviews. I did a google search and found another web site that had good reviews.

Will report back after we return.

Monica
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Patrick is right about how long restaurants will hold reservations. From my experience, 15 minutes seems to be the cutoff point. And, again from my experience, they are usually pretty inflexible about holding a reservation past the 15-minute mark.
The old rule is still best one: If you think you might be late, call!
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Speaking of Joe Allen's (I was, wasn't I?), I remember the night we had reservations there for after The Life. Joe Allen's doesn't take a time for reservation -- they list the show you are going to and then they KNOW when you should be there. But when The Life was over -- Liza Minelli, who was in the audience was invited on stage (all planned of course). Her accompaniest came out with a piano, and she sang several songs joined by a couple members of the cast -- she had been a big supporter of the show. Well, anyway, I was a nervous wreck because we were nearly 45 minutes late getting out and we rushed to Joe Allen's. As soon as we walked in the door, the hostess said, "Well, you've had some night haven't you?" Word was already there about Liza's performance after the show.
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick, what a great story! I hope it ended with a fabulous dinner at Joe Allen's.

I'll keep the restaurant's number with me and my cell phone and will call if we expect to be late.

Looking forward to a fun evening! Well, all the other days/nights too.

Monica