Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pre-theater dining near Criterion and Pheonix Theater?

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to see Complete Unabridged Shakespeare at the Criterion Theater, and Blood Brothers at the Pheonix. Since my husband (and I) very anal about getting to the theater on time, what restaurants nearby, would you recommend? Judy
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:26 AM

We saw both these plays two weeks ago: CUS was much funnier than I expected and BB had terrific music but the narrative was slow (I enjoyed the second half of the play much more than the begining).

For CUS we ate at Masala Zone, a casual Indian restaurant on Marshall Street. Inexpensive and delicious thalis.

For BB, we were planning to eat at Piccolo Diavolo (pizza/pasta) on Old Compton Street but ended up eating at our hotel instead. Here's a link where you can see their menu and sister restaurants.

http://www.biagio.co.uk/Piccolo/PiccoloMain.htm

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mvor, I heard about both Piccolo and Masala zone. I want to try an Indian restaurant and am a newbie at Indian food, What else would you recommend? JUdy
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:08 PM

I'm vegetarian so I can't speak to meat dishes. For newbies, I'd recommend a Thali because they are a complete meal made up of little dishes that are balanced nutritionally and for flavour. You select one of the entrees (veg, meat, fish, etc.) which is then served with rice, veggies, condiments/pickle, chapattis, etc. I also enjoy Mala Kofta (veggie dumplings in a lightly creamed curry sauce). We always start with the mixed veggie appetizers which could be a light meal in itself.

fyi: Masala Zone is non-smoking and they don't take reservations. Another Indian restaurant recommended by someone here for pre-theatre dining is Mela. We haven't been but hope to go during our March visit.

Here's their link:
http://www.melarestaurant.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Maureen
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:15 PM

Judy,

I just read your message and realized you may have been asking for additional restaurant recs not Indian entree suggestions, sorry. I have a head cold and now I'm craving Indian for dinner...time to defrost the curried lentils.

It seems like lots of people here have either seen, or plan to see, the plays you've selected so hopefully others will add additional restaurants nearby.

Best, Maureen
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

NO, I am glad you gave me both! As said, I am an Indian food neophyte. So thanks for the suggestions! I did read about Mela too. Both should be doable. Judy
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:09 PM

Why not eat afterwards?? Just have a drink & nibbles before curtain, then have a wander and see what takes your fancy afterwards . . .

Masala Zone's last food order is 10pm, but have a walk down Berwick St in Soho - there are some good Indian/ Pakistani places there, with food until midnight. Then you can take in the Soho flora & fauna by night - interesting animals !

HTH, and enjoy.
: )