Stratford restaurants

Search

Stratford restaurants

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stratford restaurants

I've been going to stratford for years and tend to end up at the same restaurants (Keystone Alley, Belfry and Pazzo are my favorites). This year I'll be there for 6 days so while I will probably return to Keystone and Belfry am ready to try some new places pre theatre . Would love to know more about Fabrizio, Bijoux, the new Indian restaurant, Avoca etc. Don't want to go to Old Prune and Rundles -- have done both and don't think they're worth the money especially before a play. But want something more upscale than Bentleys and Fellinis. Any thoughts?
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:32 AM
LJ

Sounds like you may already know more than the pros at Chowhound but here is a link to check out. I find that for VERY "foodie" questions that forum is better than Fodors-only that, though, Fodors is better for all else connected with travel.http://www.chowhound.com/topics/1068...ford%20ontario
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Pazzo is a definite favourite of mine too. Have been to Bijou twice and found it interesting, but not a knock out. Presentation and flavour combinations were outstanding, but the service was a little too casual/familiar for a fine dining establishment---even one that is trying to be less pretentious than places like the Prune and Rundles (which I still like on occasion). Would recommend it though.
http://www.bijourestaurant.com
Would like to try Avoca as well--maybe in June for our theatre excursion.
This is a review from someone on another forum:
"In September 2006 we discovered the first Indian restaurant in Stratford, Raja Fine Indian Cuisine, 10 George Street. I've eaten in a hundred Indian restaurants around the world, including India, and this is one of the best. We had only vegetarian entrees but they were each perfect." This person also spoke favourably of Fabrizio---authentic casual Italian-- so probably you would do well with any of them.
I've also had great lunches at Carter's but haven't been yet for dinner---hope they're still around.
http://www.carters-on-downie.com
Lots to choose from!
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:45 AM
mtjt

Hi - we ate at the Indian Restaurant (Raja) last year and had a very good meal. You've probably tried Down the Street Bistro which we eat at from time to time, casual but I think a bit more upscale than Bentleys (although I like Bentleys for lunch). You didn't mention the Church which is usually grouped with Rundles and Old Prune as one of the "top" restaurants (although I haven't eaten there). The Bellfry, which I think is upstairs at the Church, is reputed to be a slightly more "casual" restaurant. The Sunroom used to be quite popular (although in all honesty, I had lunch there not too long ago and it wasn't particularly memorable. But might be worth checking out for dinner).

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:58 AM

Just wanted to provide an update on Rundles---though I realize this is an old thread.
Rundles has introduced a new area in the restaurant called Sophisto Bistro with a more affordable (but wonderful!) menu and house wine selection. Everyone in our party of 11 enjoyed both this past weekend. We do find dining after a matinee a much more relaxing experience if that should suit your needs.
http://www.rundlesrestaurant.com/SophistoBistro.htm
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:20 AM

The Keystone is one of our favourites as well. Have you tried the Sun Room on George Street?