Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Off Broadway play suggestions for teens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to NY in October, 2 moms and 2 13 yr old girls. Have tix for Spamalot, but can only get tix in the last row for Wicked, so I think we are going to pass based on comments here that the last row of that theater is too far back to enjoy the show. Looked at the other plays available, and many of them are available here in Minneapolis as traveling shows, so wanted to see something we can't see at home. I know what the "hot" shows are, they are so heavily advertised it is easy to find them. Who can give me a suggestion to a good show for us to see that is maybe a little less popular so I can get decent tix? I won't spend $300 a tix to get decent seats, so I think we have to look at some alternatives. We have seen lots of plays here, the girls already saw Mama Mia, Hairspray, Phantom, etc. Movin Out is coming here, so that doesn't make sense to see. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Why not get discount tickets??? Go to broadwaybox.com for discount codes about 2 months before your trip (most currently posted codes are not good for Oct). If you've seen a lot of shows, the Musical of Musicals is a fun sendup of the genre. Perhaps they'd like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Some of the less well touted shows are serious dramas that might not be appropriate for the girls (Doubt and Pillowman). Why not wait a week and watch the Tony's on TV and see what interests you.
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:36 AM
TC

Take your girls to see Blue Man Group. Its a total NY experience. A lot of laughs, a big surprise and something they (and you ) will talk about for a long time to come.

www.blueman.com/ticketinfo/nyc/index.shtml

Spelling Bee is another Broadway show for which tickets are easily available. However, it may not be running in October depending on how it fairs with awards and it is a show that will almost certainly tour.

Did you take them to see The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast when they did their out-of-town runs in Minneapolis? or during the current tour of Lion King there? Both are great shows -- especially Lion King. If you haven't seen these, they would be good choices.
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:56 AM

I second Blue man Group. Took my boys 17 and 13 last fall and the still talk about it. I loved it too!
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Have you considered "STOMP"? I took my 13 year old nephew and he loved it.
So did I.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:41 PM

Saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang this past weekend, and enjoyed it very much (I'm a month shy of 21). The car flying was an amazing experience and all the other little things and props they used as well as the fire and explosions made for a very fun time (although I may be biased...CCBB is one of my all time favorite movies)

You might want to look into getting rush tickets for different shows, that way you can get something big and not have to pay as much. However, with four people you may not get four tickets together or four tickets at all. http://www.talkinbroadway.com/boards...sh=show&order=
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 08:02 PM

I was in NYC May 21 - 31 and saw a few Broadway and off-Broadway shows. Two off-B'way I enjoyed were Altar Boys and Slava's Snowshow. (websites are http://www.altarboyz.com and http://www.snowshowusa.com) (Also commercial for Slava's Snowshow at http://www.snowshowusa.com/movies/Sn...4-05%203MB.mov)

Both of these had discount tickets available at playbill.com.

Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick are to be in a revival of "The Odd Couple." I believe tickets will be on sale June - July.

If you want to see clips from a few of the Broadway shows go to http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/arch...dia/index.html.

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:11 PM

Not off Broadway - but a show you and your daughters might enjoy is "All Shook Up". I know sometimes they have discounts on the tickets. I wasn't expecting to like it that much and really enjoyed it. Just a fun show with all the Elvis songs and it doesn't hurt that Cheyenne Jackson is so good looking.... I know some others on this forum have seen the show and liked it.