off airport Denver car rentals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be renting an SUV for 5 weeks next winter. With Enterprise, I can save $1100 - yes, SAVE $1100 - by renting from their location at 7420 N Washington St. as opposed to the airport. They have various other locations around the city that would save me about $1,000 and these are the cheapest rates I have found. Supposedly, they would pick us up at the airport and drop us off upon return. I realize this is much more inconvenient than a direct airport rental but am willing to put up with some inconvenience, even hauling the ski equipment around, to save $1100!

Has anyone done this and does anyone know anything about the N Washington St. location? Yahoo says it's about 25 miles and 36 min from the airport. Thanks.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM

I'm not sure where this street address is on Washington (not one of our lovlier streets or neighborhoods - but nothing to worry about)... but Washington does cross I-70 and is reasonably convenient to the airport. I'd probably return it the night before your flight and hop a ride (taxi, whatever) to Tower Rd. and stay near the airport. The hotels here have shuttles - so no car required.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:40 AM

Hi, I have done several off airport rentals when possible and actually those offices are supposed to charge airport taxes to those who fly in...but they don't do that if you are far enough into town. Enterprise won't take you out of airport where they have office, but we we rented on Quebec st. last Christmas and were able to take FREE shuttle to Red Lion hotel right next door. Convenient schedule too. I must say, we are renting a suv at airport Alamo for 4 weeks in August and taxes are $293. - still very high, but nothing like you stated. Costco, Sam's club could help you out and I have found out (through hours of research, that one company is usually cheaper than others..company varies) Since you aren't going for awhile, I would keep checking. Good luck
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM

Big article on just this subject in the Denver Post Business section today (I'm sure they have a website). Airport renters pay $1.80 per day PLUS a 10% concession fee. HOWEVER, I agree that an airport hotel would be a good bet in winter--you never know whether it will be golf weather, or if Pena Blvd. to the airport will be snowed under!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM

There is an Enterprise location at Quebec and 1-70 right by the Courtyard by Marriott. It would be very convenient place to pick up.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 12:39 PM

Check with Hertz HLE locations in Denver, if you find anything comparable to Enterprise in price I would definitely go with Hertz...the service is better, the cars are better, and Enterprise will probably hold you hostage at gunpoint until you purchase the $25 per day insurance that you probably are already covered for.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Will check out Hertz. I am curious about taking a free hotel shuttle for a next door car rental place when one isn't staying at the hotel. The hotel doesn't object or require you to be a guest?
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:12 AM

Jacqueline 1212 The Enterpise office and the hotel share the parking lot and we were welcomed aboard. Actually driver was so nice that he came back for us after a pickup at another local hotel because we hadn't had time to check (free up graded Expedition) at office. A nice tip was his reward and less stress for us.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, baylady. I assume you just used the convenience phone for the hotel at the airport when you arrived? How much time would you suggest that we allow for the trip, pick-up, etc.?
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, have you bid on Priceline or Hotwire for this rental? I regularly rent in Denver (not for that length of time) and usually save 50%.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:26 PM

Jacqueline1212, The shuttle runs on a schedule. I think about every half hour. A call to hotel or Enterprise office could help. Trip is about 20 miles -- about 25 minutes. Also, Priceline doesn't have month+ car rentals. I just saw that my thread that I thought had gone far away into space acouple of days ago appeared, so excuse the repedition. Also, it is Red Lion Hotel, not Inn
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, baylady. You've been a great help.