Best US Vacation Ever

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best US Vacation Ever

What was your best US vacation ever? My best US vacation ever had to be when we went to Disney World two years ago. My favorite part of Disney World was EPCOT because it combined fun and educational to make it what I like to call "fundacacional!" I also really liked Disney World because it did have some cool rides. I really liked Disney MGM Grand though because it had even cooler rides and cool shows. Animal Kingdom was too hot. It was a really hot day when we went there--not a good idea.
But all in all...that was my best US vacation ever. We also stayed in an awesome hotel--Doubletree Guest Suites Orlando Maingate in Kississimee. They had a condo thing for their guests where each family got their own little private "house" that was two stories and had enough room for my 6 member family. It was really nice.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:23 PM

For the best animal viewing in the absence of heat, we recommend a morning visit near feeding time at NaTaZu, Animal Kingdom, WDW 32819.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:17 PM

To tell the truth my favorite vacations have always been in Portland OR. I love that city!!! And not because I have family that live there. I would live in Portland if I didn't have a reason to live where I do.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:42 PM

My best vacation is usually my last one! So that would currently be: Olympic National park and Seattle. Rugged coasts, magnificent glaciers, dreamy rain forests, picturesque towns, lovely waterfalls, great hikes and then there's Seattle itself; what more could a vacation ask for?
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM

I live in Seattle and agree with the above poster that it's a great vacation area, but for a vacation it would be a toss for me between San Francisco and New York City--I always have a great time in those cities.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:10 PM
P_M

I think most every trip to California has been among the best. It's all nice, but I especially like Southern California. I always wanted to be a California Girl, but the cost of living is the only reason I never pursued that dream.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 03:30 AM

My best US vacation was going to Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park (one of the most beautiful mountain ranges I have ever seen), and Northern and Southeastern Utah, all in the same trip. Arches and Canyonlands in Southeastern Utah are awesome.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 04:38 AM

Kauai

Yellowstone and the Tetons were also great.

On vacation, I prefer visiting the National Parks, mountains, beaches rather than cities.
Cities make fun weekend getaways.

Lots of places still to see.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Yellowstone. What a great place that is. Geysers! Someone told me the next biggest collection of geysers is in Japan. But I think if I went to Japan I'd check out something else as I've already seen THE biggest collection, here in the US.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 04:52 AM

MAUI...

I have a feeling in a month, it'll be changed to Kaua'i.

24 more days~
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:24 AM

I, also pick my "most recent" as my favorite--which wold be Boston--mainly because it is so "walkable" and I love the architectrure.
Zion and Yellowstone are my favorite Nat Parks..
However, I just cannot skip Seattle and Portland OR.....
and of course there is always the Oregon coast !!!!
I guess I just can't pick ONE favortie as each has its own "best" features..
So I will just have to keep traveling in my quest for the most perfect vacation area..
Tough assignment but someone has to do it.....
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:27 AM

In 1994, I was layed off from my job of the previous 10 years. As the lay-off was related to NAFTA issues, the company had to offer additional severance benefits over and above their own resonable severance benefits. Basically I received about 10 months of pay and continued health care insurance for those 10 months.

So, with 10 months free, I decided to travel to as many National Parks out west as I could. I didn't have a passport yet, so I didn't consider international travel at this point. (I'm taking care of that "hair" now at this point in my life.)

I rented a car from Hertz at the Atlanta Airport with unlimited miles for six weeks.

I began my journey by taking interstate highways just to get out there as quickly as possible. First day was Atlanta to Memphis, stopping at my parents home in NE Alabama for a few hours to visit. On the second day, I actually drove from Memphis Tn to Albuquerque, NM in that one day. I started my experience of southwest wonders on that third day when I visited Santa Fe. What a wonderful small town. From there, I drove through the mountains to Durango, Co. I'm not going to be able to keep track of which days were where, but basically my progression is as follows:

Visited Mesa Verde National Park while in Durango. Drove the Million Dollar Highway (US 550) from Durango to Silverton. Continued on US550 to Ouray and visited Black Canyon of the Gunnison (it was still a National Monument then, it has since become a National Park). While in Grand Junction, visited Colorado National Monument. Drove from Grand Junction through Castle Valley along the Colorado River to Moab, UT. Spent four days in Moab visiting multiple times Arches, Canyonlands Island in the Sky, Deadhorse Utah State Park, and Canyonlands Needles. From Moab, drove along UT24 through Capital Reef National Park and the Dixie National Forest to UT12 to Cedar City where for two days I visited Bryce Canyon National Park and Cedar Breaks National Monument. From Cedar City to St George, where for two days I visited Zion National Park. From St George to Las Vegas for three days, taking a very long day trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (passing through Zion again), Also a side trip to the Hoover Dam (I'd taken the Dam Tour several years earlier, so didn't do that, but did visit the new visitors center that had just recently opened in 1994)

From Las Vegas, drove through the Mohave to Barstow where I turned north towards Fresno where I spent three days visiting Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks and Yosemite National Park. From Fresno, drove north to Sacramento then west to Napa. Spent three days in Napa Valley area, driving to Bodega Bay and up the coast past Fort Ross and through several Redwood Tree groves. Vistied the Russian River area and Calistoga.

From there, traveled along CA1 south and visited Point Reyes National Seashore. Continued on south crossing the Golden Gate Bridge to spend four wonderful days in San Francisco. Did all the tourist stuff in San Francisco.

From San Francisco, headed south along the coast and visited Monterey and drove the 17-Mile Drive to Carmel. Stopped in Santa Cruz and walked along the pier. Drove 101 to Santa Barbara and visited the Mission there. Basically drove through Los Angeles (as I had been there several times previously). Spent three days in San Diego.

Turned east and headed towards Phoenix, driving though the Imperial Valley.

When I intersected with I25 in New Mexico, I turned north and headed towards Albuquerque again. Continued on I25 past Albuquerque to northern New Mexico and visited Capulin National Monument. Backtracked to I25, continued north to Denver. Visited Rocky Mountain National Park.

Continued north to Cheyenne, WY and turned west again on I80. In Laramie, left the interstate and traveled on WY130 through the Snowy Range. Got back on I80 and stopped in Green River to see the launching spot of John Wesley Powell's journey along the Green and Colorado Rivers through the Grand Canyon. Got on US 30 and stopped at Fossil Butte National Monument and several Oregon Trail monuments along US30. Stuck a big toe in Idaho, then turned north towards Jackson Hole, WY. Spent one night in Jackson Hole, then traveled through Grand Teton National Park to Yellowstone National Park. Spent three days in Yellowstone. Left Yellowstone through the NE entrance and drove along the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, MT.

Visited Little Big Horn National Battlefield and returned to WY once again. Visited Devil's Tower National Monument and then spent three days in Rapid City, SD visiting multiple times Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park and Badlands National Park. (And Wall Drug Store in Wall, SD)

From Rapid City, drove to Kansas City, MO. Visited the Gateway Arch while passing through St. Louis. Basically drove interstate from St. Louis through Nashville to parents home in NE Alabama where I stayed for a few days before returning rental car to Hertz at the Altanta Airport with 16 thousand miles on it. I got a raised eyebrow on that one.....

A fantastic trip where I didn't really have a set schedule. I had all the hotel/motel books with me and basically called to make reservations in the next town the morning I left the previous town. Stayed is everything from Motel 6, Super8, Days Inn, Comfort Inn, to a Marriott.

I would like to return and hit the few parks I missed in the Oregon, Washington and northern Montana areas one day, as well as hit the Canadian parks too.

Keith
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:52 AM
JJ5

I just can't pick a best.

Too many trips in too many different eras, and all have such different flavors because of those facts.

Overall, I think the driving vacations have all outdone the city ones- although I love big city destination fly vacations as well.

Driving you can meet Americans and see the splendor that abounds and catch all the nuances of an area. I love that.

Loved my Rt.66 trip years ago. Loved a big SW America drive of 5 years ago. Loved a mid-continent drive North to South and back 2 years ago.

Probably my all time favorite is still seeing my lake in Michigan every time I turn the road into the driveway.

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Best US vacation was to Florida in a small town called Homosassa Springs. Swam with the manitees in the wild. No tours, guide nothing commercial. Just us and them. It was awsome.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Aloha, baby!

I think that my fav for the most part has to be Hawaii, in particular our second trip which was in the month of January. The whales, the weather, the warmth!

Enchanted January, thanks Hawaii!

Tiff
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Gee, KE1th, I am so envious!

I won't go into as much detail, but in 1990 I bicycled from LA to Boston in 47 days, with 5 days off along the way. It was part of a fundraising project sponsored by League of American Wheelmen. Half the proceeds went to bicycling education, and half went to the charity of the rider's choice, the Albany Ronald McDonald House in my case. The next year I did the ride again, but as an unpaid ride leader, instead of a fund-raising participant. The cities we had 1 day breaks at were Flaggstaff, SantaFe, Topeka, ChampaignIL, and EriePA, to give you an ideal of the route. We averaged 83 miles a day, and while I was darn glad to hit the shower at the end of many of the days, I never once regretted doing the rides. I'd like to do it again along a more northernly route.

And I still get "goosebumps" whenever anyone asks me about it. There are several organizations sponsoring similar events, and I encourage anyone who can to try it. You see the country a lot differently from the bicycle saddle than you do the carseat. The son of the founder of the ride I went on ("Pedal for Power Across America") now runs a touring company "America By Bike (www.abbike.com) that travels a similar route.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:12 AM

In 1999, my family of four went to New England for a family reunion. We started out driving through the Berkshires, then up to Vermont to visit my cousin's family, then drove through to New Hampshire, stopping at a glass factory and driving by Dartmouth college. Then on through that beautiful area to see friends in Maine. Stayed a few days for lobster dinners, a sail, and just R and R with my H's friends family. Then on to Salem Mass and then Concord/Lexington Mass and Walden Pond and all of the incredible Revolutionary history in that area.

Then on to hook up with the extended family. We rented five cottages by the shore near Old Lyme CT. We were 80 at the reunion, in a cousin's lovely backyard. Humid day, but didn't stop us from sharing scrapbooks, horse shoes, and hard lemonade. The rest of the week was spent lounging around by the beach, eating lobster, reading books, and tubing on the sound.

It was so sweet for my kids to meet my entire family, many people either I didn't know, or hadn't seen in forever. It is all agreed that it was our favorite family vacation, spending it with family and friends and enjoying a beautiful part of our country that is so rich in history and culture.

Didn't know at the time, but my favorite uncle, who orchestrated the whole event, would die in heart surgery the next January, so making the effort to go on the trip made it all even sweeter...
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:13 AM

How about two favorites?

Moab: A lot of hiking and mountain biking in Arches during the day followed by excellent beer and food in Moab in the evenings.

Big Island: Early morning boogie boarding and snorkeling, Kona coffee, hiking to see lava at night, listening to the waves crash against the lava cliffs outside our condo, fresh fruit from the Farmer's Markets, and fresh ahi for dinner almost every night.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:22 AM

I'd have to say traveling the California coast from south to north. So much to see and do and something for everyone. Done it twice and looking forward to going back again.
But my most awesome trip with scenery to date was the CANADIAN ROCKIES (yeah I know it's not the US). But it's breathtaking!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:25 AM

My 2 favorite US vacations:

1.Boston and New England in the fall. We went to New Hampshire too and saw many covered bridges. It is such a beautiful area of the country.

2. San Francisco, Sonoma, and Pacific Grove/Big Sur- We got a taste of each of these places. Northern California has such great weather and everything is so pristine. The flowers that can grow there are unbelievable. Probably my favorite US trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -