Search

Oahu or Maui

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu or Maui

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are headed to Hawaii for 2 weeks. We've already decided on one week on Kauai and are trying to decide for the second week between Oahu or Maui. I have been to Maui before so I wonder if I should try a new island like Oahu. However, my boyfriend and I both agree that Hawaii to us is beautiful beaches and an island atmosphere. I worry that Honolulu and Waikiki will be too populated and city-like for us. I recognize that there is a lot more to the island but I am having trouble finding out what by just surfing the net!!

I'm interested in getting some other educated opinions from previous visitors or locals.
Thanks!!!
Bythesea71
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Well...

Taking into account that you both want "beaches and an island atmosphere", and that you yourself have already been to Maui (which is why I'm guessing you don't want to go there again?), and that you worry that Waikiki will be too populated, you've got some options:

1. Don't stay in Waikiki; head to either Turtle Bay or Ko Olina if you want a resort -- or rent a place on the north shore (condo, cottage, or house).

2. Head to Hawai`i island. Lots to see and do (not the least of which, is the state's only active volano), or just find your perfect beach and r-e-l-a-x.

O`ahu has lots to offer, so don't think it's all about crowds and shopping centers though...
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Please check out the recent threads on this board of "Why I Love Oahu, Too". We've been to Kauai, Maui and Oahu, and for us Ohau is the best by a long shot. But that's just our opinion. I agree with auntiemaria that since you're not looking for a city-like experience, you should try staying on the North Shore or at Ko'Olina on the west side. We just returned 2 weeks ago from the Marriott at Ko'Olina and it is as secluded, beautiful and laid back as you could want. Simply beautiful, and I highly recommend staying there!! I know many people will likely write that you shouldn't bother with Oahu when you're also considering Maui, but IMHO, you will love Oahu. There's so much more to do on Oahu, and the beaches are just as breathtaking. Have a great time!!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 09:51 PM

You know for just one extra island hop you could go to Oahu for 3 nights or 2 nights.My wife and i spent 2 weeks, 3 nites on Oahu,and split the rest between Maui and Kauai. For us Oahu was great especially as the first destination , one gets the vacation spirit and there is lots of things to see and do. Then jet to the big Island and adventure some more then jet to Kauai and settle down to the Aloha spirit because Kauai is very relaxed , but dont get me wrong there is still lots to do especially for hikers. Note on Kauai, please dont miss Kee beach , the ridge ( napali coast) hike, and snorkel the calm reef bay lots of fish and turtles. nick
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 02:24 AM

There are beautiful beaches on Oahu once you get away from downtown. And what are you planning to do at night? At least on Oahu there's more to do than just get drunk or look at yet another Weyland gallery.

Enjoy your trip.