Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

For second trip to Hawaii, Maui and 1 more island....Oahu or Big Island??

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

My husband and I honeymooned in Hawaii in August, and LOVED it! All of you were so helpful on this board. We were on Oahu for 2 days, Big Island for 4 days and Maui for 7. I am hoping to put together a surprise return trip for our 1st anniversary next summer as my husband's Christmas present this year.

I know that I want to return to Maui because my husband mentioned in passing that this was his favorite island. My dilemma is....pair it with Oahu or the BI?? (Also, I am saving my FF miles to surprise my mother with a trip to Kauai for her 50th birthday in 2 years, so I don't want to do Kauai on this trip.)

We loved both the Big Island and Oahu for different reasons. On Oahu, we only saw Waikiki, but we loved the energy of it. We had a great hotel right on the beach (Outrigger Waikiki) and I know DH adored Duke's! We had a blast swimming at Waikiki, admiring the the views of Diamond Head. If we went back, we could explore Waikiki more and check out the North Shore, too, since we only had 2 nights before.

On the BI, we went to VNP, which was DH's favorite activity of the trip. We both loved the black lava everywhere and the laid back feeling. We definitely felt like we left A LOT of this island unexplored, mainly because of all the driving involved.

We love to snorkel (almost every day) and we like to explore different beaches and lay by the pool. We usually snorkel in the morning, lay by the pool in the afternoon, and head out at night for dinner and drinks, with a few tours/activities thrown into the trip. We would have 12-13 nights, so we would probably do 7 on Maui, and 5-6 on Oahu or Big Island.

It may come down to $$, as an open jaw to HNL and OGG from Boston is cheaper than KOA and OGG, but....what would you pick? We both adored the islands so much that I know it won't be our only trip back, but, decisions, decisions....Thanks
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 11:23 PM

Hard choice - I live on Oahu and there's so much more to see than Waikiki. Take a drive out to Lanikai Beach in Kailua - it's like a lake - you can rent kayaks and paddle to one of the islands. The sand is like silk - not the coarse stuff you find in Waikiki. Another nice beach is at Ko Olina. If you like snorkeling, go to Hanauma Bay - I heard it gets pretty crowded but it's beautiful there. You sound like outdoor people so a hike up Diamond Head might be for you too.

The Big Island is very relaxing. It's not as busy as Oahu. If you just want to stay at the hotel - the Waikaloa is the place. It's pretty costly but it's worth it.

I think if you want "activities" go to Oahu. If you want to relax and get away from life, go to the Big Island. Hope this helps!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 03:44 AM

IMHO, would not wait 2 years to visit Kaua`i as it is more similar to Maui which should agree with your husband (just who's receiving this present anyway), and has good snorkeling and beaches. The experience gained in a Kaua'i visit will doubtlessly benefit in planning your mom's trip as well.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 03:52 AM

Oops, forgot to add, I believe Auntiemaria described a nonstop Maui to Kauai interisland flight. Perhaps this flight could work for you, and if so please fill us in
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

JohnD: I agree with you about Kauai, but this surprise is for my husband, and I know he wanted more time to explore Oahu or BI before moving on to another island! He's more of a creature of comfort than someone who likes to try new things/places all the time. Thanks!

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 12:44 AM

You really haven't seen Oahu if you've only been to Waikiki. Each side has it's own beauty. The North Shore and East and West. Oahu has the best beaches of all islands.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:18 AM

ILOVEHAWAII You have posted the same response to all posts about Hawaii. It's my understanding NO ADVERTISING. Am I wrong here?
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:07 AM

I'll throw in my vote for Oahu as your second island. I absolutely love this island - there's just SO much to do there. Of course I love all the islands, but Oahu is hands down my favorite.