Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oahu/Kailua Beach family vacation Dec 26th to Jan 3rd: How crowded will it be?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fodorites,

Due to the massive logistics problems of trying to plan a family vacation for 2 adults and 4 children/young adults (ages 20,18,16 and 14) who attend 2 different colleges and 1 high school without common time off except for summer when jobs, camps, internships make it even worse we decided to just go ahead and have 9 days together during Christmas and go to Hawaii even though it is high season and everyone says it is crowded. We have a reserved 3 BR/3BA accomodation in Kailua which looks great and are now starting to think about activities. We will definitely do the following:
1. Pearl Harbor and Arizona Memorial (get there early!)
2. Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay (I know, get there EARLY!!!)
3. Watching the surfers on the North shore near Waimea
4. A day in Honolulu and Waikiki Beach
5. Hiking in the Koolua mountains
6. possible tour of pineapple plantation
7. possible visit to the Polynesian Cultural Center (not sure the luau is worth the $$ for 6 people)
8. lots of afternoons on the beaches at Kailua and Lanikai and others

Should we have any special plans to try to avoid the biggest crowds at certain locations other than getting everywhere earlier than most other tourists? Will weekdays during the holidays be just as busy as weekends for all these activities?

We will have some meals at the condo and others we will go out. Recommendations for casual dining including ethnic like Thai, etc.. in and around the Kailua area especially are welcome.

Anything else all the experts out there would advise would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Maria
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:48 PM

Save lots of money & buy 2-3 Hawaii Entertainment books. We purchased before we went at www.entertainment.com (cost $25 ea + shipping) we saved over $300 in one week. Great restaurants 2-for-1, 25% off each ticket for Paradise Cove & Germains Luaus, 2-for-1 at PCC for day admission without luau which was well worth the $30 ($15 each), 2-for-1 on Atlantis Sunset Cruise, 25% off all admissions to USS Missouri Battleship whre the war with Japan was ended. Note that they only hand out 2,000 tickets the the Arizona Memorial each day and it opens at 7a.m. On busy days all tickets could be gone by 9-10 am. Get there early as possible see the memorial (you have about 45 minutes total time once you enter theater) then when you get back walk next door to the shuttle to the USS Arizona & take the Chiefs Tour, you won't regret it.
When you get to Oahu find a Safeway & fill out application for a Club Card, all of the discounts require the card. Best spots for cheap eats will come from the locals like Zippys, L&L drive in, just ask. Read the restaurant reviews in the Honolulu Advertiser newspaper www.honoluluadvertiser.com. Especially the Ilima (peoples Choice) winners. You can use three coupons(three books) with six people. We used two with two couples and no questions asked. Sunset Grill in Waikiki was great and Crouching Lion near Kailua was good. Many of Hawaii's best restaurant finds will look like Hole-in-the-Walls but the food inside is great.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 06:05 PM

By the by, don't do the pineapple thing unless your kids are very young. Must do the Manoa Falls Trail, View fron the lookout on the Pali Highway. Inexpensive restaurants Ahi's in Punaluu, Kimoz in Wiamanalo, Kua Aina in Haleiwa and Honolulu, KaKakoo Kitchen in Honolulu, Side Street Cafe in Honolulu, Elena's near Pearl Harbor.

Hike up to the top of Diamondhead in Waikiki (only open a few days due to renovations). There are many restaurants in the entertainment book in the Waikiki area with many in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping center a block from the beach.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:42 PM

Everything is crowded that time of year. Weekdays too. Kailua beach is packed on the weekends. We usually go over to Bellows then.

Keo's in Waikiki is known for Thai. There's also a good spot in Kailua by the postoffice. Other good eats in Kailua are - Cisco's Cantina, Assagios, Gee a Deli, Zia's, Teddy's Burger, Maui Tacos, Buzz's Steakhouse... then your usual Jamba Juice etc.

If you go over to Kaneohe there is a great view at Halaiwa Joe's. They do dinner and Sunday Brunch.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:46 PM

Try to catch the red and white Malasada truck at Windward Mall too.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Islandmom and Mikepmcm!

A question about the entertainment books...do I buy a 2003 edition or 2004 edition since our dtes straddle both years? Also I saw an offer for a monthly subscription for discounts. Should I just get 2 months worth (December 03 and Jan 04) for our trip?

It is hard to tell exactly what the dates on the coupons will say for validity periods.

Maria
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:02 AM

Hi: In anticipation of our Feb 2004 trip to Oahu, we purchased the 2004 Entertainment book and most coupons and the membership card indicate good until Nov. 2004. There is no starting date indicated. Have fun.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:50 AM

Buy the 2004 book, it is valid when you get it (also the 2003 book is valid only thru end of November 2003). I wouldn't reccomend the monthly subscription, you would have to make a ton of prints unless you know exactly where you are going (or have computer in your room). Sell the books for 1/2 price to someone arriving before you leave, you won't use much of the book in a week.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:02 AM

Here's a tip for a uncrowded beach. Try the Lagoons at the KoOlina Beach Club on the West end of the Island (take H1 to the end follow KoOlina Exit sign). There are four white sand protected lagoons that are nearly empty. They only allow a few cars in until the 160 spaces fill up. The beaches are public and ther are only two resorts The Marriott KoOlina time share and the Marriott Ilihani Hotel. We stayed at the KoOlina Sept 20 and it was wonderful. On average ther were 15-20 people each day on the beach. The KoOlina has a great Beach Pub with good food open to the public. There are public restrooms with changing facilities and showers . You can make a day out of it by going to the Paradise Cove Luau next door to finish the day but be warned the drinks flow pretty freely there so have a designated driver. It was great fun watching the sunset (it sets on this side of the island.)
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

I have ordered the 2004 entertainment book and look forward to using it a lot with 6 of us!

Thanks also for the suggestions on (possibly) less crowded places during this time. I am sure we will continue to enjoy our visit even with more crowds, after all, the alternative is central Wisconsin in the dead of winter for us!

Maria
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Since you'll be staying in Kailua make sure to have breakfast at least once at Boots & Kimo's (in Kailua). They have the BEST macadamia nut pancakes ever! It's a little place and there's usually a wait to get a table, but it's worth every minute.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:47 PM

Remember that you can use up to three books with 6 people. For example the six of you go the the Sunset Grill in Waikiki (Best meal we had on island last visit) The average meal is $22 each. With three entertainment cards they will take three of the meals off or save $66. With one book you will save $22, two $44. It's a great way to have grat meals for half the price.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 07:50 PM

It's a long drive to Koolina and often you can't get parking. My trick is to eat at the Ihilani and use their valet parking.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

mikepmcm,

Maybe I will get my single entertainment book in the mail in the next couple of days and spend some time with it and decide if I should order more than one. I am concerned that at the holiday time when everything is packed that we won't be able to get reservations at that many places if they know we are using a 2 for 1 book. Do you have to tell them when you reserve?

I will go through the book and see what looks reasonable but I don't mind buying 3 if we will be able to use them and then sell unused portions.

What is the reason that the website asks you to register your book after purchase? Are they trying to avoid the re-selling of books? Is there any reason to register or not register your book?

Maria
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 10:52 AM

We just got back from Waikiki (trip report to follow) and were able to save money on dining using coupons from the various tourist publications that are offered all over the place. I second the recommendation for the Sunset Grill--we each had a 20 oz porterhouse steak for 13.95 each and it was delicious. And they have a great wine list, to boot. Also, the Waikiki broiler across from the Hailekulani hotel has drink and dinner specials and a nice atmosphere. Check out Maui Tacos in Kailua for cheap meals as well. We went to Hanauma Bay on a Saturday and it wasn't too crowded, I have heard that weekends are the best time to go. Lanikai is an amazingly beautiful beach--and good for snorkeling--Kailua beach is rather large and good for snorkeling as well. If you drive north there are quite a few beaches that you can visit. We loved Oahu--I can't wait to go back and hope you have an awesome visit.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:38 PM

You do not tell them you have entertainment cards or coupons in advance. Your book will tell you how to use both the coupons and the card. When the bill comes you give the waiter your caards/coupons & he'll redo the bill subtracting the meals(no questionss asked). Remember you should tip on the total before the discounts. The only reason they ask for you to register the books is so they can email you updates (new added restaurants and activities) You only need the cards for fine dining restaurants. Do not sign the back of the cards unless a restaurant asks you to, and remember many restaurants exclude the day's specials for use with entertainment (which they will note on the menu, and the least expensive meal is the first excluded (so if five order meals in the $20 range & one orders for $10, they will discount the $10 meal so try to order alike to make it more to your advantage).
I would reccomend the Polynesian Cultural center day activities. Get there when they open at 12:30pm. There are shows and hands on activities in the seven villages. You do not haave to stay for the Luau, but it is the best on the island. The entertainment coupon is good for 2-for-1 admission or $30 total for two people. For six people you will need three coupons. Just for this activity you will save $90 (which will pay for all three books) The rest is gravy. (If you decide to go to the Luau they will take $30 off two Luau tickets per coupon). Because it is the busiest time to visit, make reservations for the fine restaurants or try to eat earlier around 5-6pm.
My picks in the book; Both Verbano's Ristorante (hole in the wall - great cheap Italian), Matteo's Italian Restaurant, Seafood Village, Nick's Fishmarket (pricey), Sunset Grill, Bali Indonesia, The Greek Corner, Ezogiku Noodle Cafe, Eastern Garden (inexpensive chinese), Pagoda Floating Restaurant Chinese buffet.
Near Kailua; Saeng's Thai Cuisine, Masa & Joyce Okazuya.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:09 AM

We are planning on going to Kailua on Dec. 26, 2004 through Jan. 6, 2005 for the same exact reasons that you stated, conflicting college schedules.
I would love to hear about your trip and also, I am having problems getting the Hawaii coupon books. Can't access the site. Is there a phone number to call?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:45 AM

It is a slightly longer trip from Kailua than Polynesian Cultural Center, but if you are going to the North Shore to watch the surf anyways, there is a great little alternative to the PCC up near Waimea Beach. Called Waimea Falls Park, you can see quite a few exibits, shows, tropical plants, etc. for a tiny fraction of PCC.

For great views, ask Kailua locals how to find the hike to the Lanikai bunkers (observation points built at the top of the cliffs before WWII). But Hawaiian volcanic rock is very crumbly - don't do it if it has rained recently.

The wine section of Kalapawai Market near the Kailua Beach Park is pricy but extensive - and the owner also operates a nice little Italian cafe in downtown Kailua (a couple of blocks from Boots & Kimo's). So pick a bottle up at the market and ask the salesperson to tag it so that you can drink it at the restaurant w/o paying corkage.

Don't miss the very good shave ice at Island Snow near the Beach park (up the road from Kalapawai Market). Sure, Matsumoto's in Haleiwa is more authentic and probably better and cheaper - but Island Snow is in Kailua, not on the other side of the island.