Notices

Hawaii - Waikiki Restaurants.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hawaii - Waikiki Restaurants.

I will be in Honolulu for a few days next month. I would like to know which restuarant is good for Ahi Tuna in the Waikiki beach area.

Also, could fodorites please let me know what their recommendations would be for reasonably price restaurants in the Waikiki beach area.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"World Famous North Shore Blue Water Shrimp & Seafood Co." has a catering truck parked on Kuhio, between Launiu and Kaiolu. They offer "Furukaki Blackened Ahi" salad for $10.95. I didn't try it because I was too busy eating the garlic spicy shrimp plate both times I was there... but I'm guessing it'd be good. You can eat on picnic tables in the parking lot or get it to-go and walk down to Fort de Russy and the beach nearby.

My other favorite restaurant is a small Italian place called Arancino's on BeachWalk across from The Breakers and Hawaiiana Hotel. Go early as it gets very busy later in the evenings, and it's not that big.

"Barefoot Bar" in off the beach at the Hale Koa hotel is my favorite place for sunset and drinks. The best mai-tai in town for $5.95.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smorgy's Smorgasbourg is a popular place with reasonably priced buffets. Open all meals.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you looking for raw or cooked Ahi? Almost any place in Hawaii will have good Ahi.

In Waikiki, I like to go to Tiki's Bar and Grill. I haven't tried Arancino, but divediva from the Asia board said it's one of her faves. Also there are many new restaurants in Waikiki due to the opening of Waikiki Beachwalk and the renovated Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are hundreds of restaurants in Waikiki to choose from.

I like Tiki's, Duke's, Moose McGillicuddy's

These sites have restaurant reviews:

www.alternative-hawaii.com

www.honoluluadvertiser.com

www.hawaiidiner.com

There are also many good restaurants in Chinatown and Aloha Tower Marketplace.

Makino Chaya is one of my favorites outside of Waikiki. One at Aloha Tower & one in Westridge Shopping Center across from Circuit City at Pearlridge.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awwwww thanks dusty, you rock!

Actually Mr. Makino works at the Aloha Tower Marketplace location so that is indeed the better one!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for suggestions.

I would like both, raw and cooked Ahi.

Oh, the Mai Tais, I had forgotten about those, it sure has been a long time since I was in Hawaii.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keoni at the corner of Kuhio and Kaiulani would be my first recommendation--reasonable prices and very good food, nice atmosphere. Breakfast special of bacon, egg, and pancakes is 3.95. Open 7 am-11 pm.

I recently did a trip report and went into more detail about several places we ate, if you want to look at it http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...me=aloha&fid=1

Suze, do you mean Perry's Smorgy? Our experience there was bad, unfortunately, so I wouldn't recommend it. It is really popular though, with long lines waiting to get in.

If you like raw and cooked ahi, you will probably love seared ahi served in many restaurants in Hawai'i (cooked on the surface and pretty much raw on the inside).
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sansei in the Waikiki Marriott. Great, inventive sushi rolls, including a famous one w/ ahi. Can't remember name of it, but it's one of the most popular items on the sushi menu, and comes w/ a soy-mustard sauce. Was it panko-crusted ahi roll?
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shouldn't have posted about the smorgasbord and now am not even certain the name(!) as I have never been myself. I mentioned it only because the posted price was reasonable and people were always lined up outside when I walked by.

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Suze....I just agreed with you on the FAQ update thread in the lounge
You are right about the price and the lines...that is why we went to the Smorgy, but alas it was quite disappointing.
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but did you see the thread about "Kaua'i 38 years ago"? There is a link to some old hotel pics, including the Hawaiiana....pretty neat!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops, missed that thread, since I've yet to get to Kauai. At least I'm glad to know I did have the name correct for the buffet restaurant.

Anyone have comments on Ono Hawaiian Foods restaurant? We didn't make it there last trip but several people highly recommended it for genuine local style food.