Oahu hotels: city view-noise or not?

Dec 31st, 2002, 02:42 PM
cnw

Oahu hotels: city view-noise or not?

I have done searches on previous posts on Oahu hotels and being that we don't want to spend too much on the hotel stay in Oahu, were wondering about the rooms that have a city view. Are they more nosier than the others? Also do you find that the higher up you are in the resort the less the noise is, if any? We are looking into: Hilton Hawaiian, Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, Sheraton Moana and a couple of others I can't think off the top of my head.
Thank You.

Dec 31st, 2002, 05:24 PM
traveler

The Pacific Beach Hotel is right across the street from the beach. The Beach Tower has great views of the ocean. Try to get a corner room. Outrigger Reef on the Beach is very nice and for being right on the beach prices out well. Good luck with your stay on Oahu.

Jan 1st, 2003, 12:04 PM
cnw

Traveler I have heard mixed reviews on the Outrigger Reef. That is why we chose Outrigger Waikiki. What was your experience like at the Reef? Thank you for responding.

Jan 1st, 2003, 06:20 PM
janis

Actually - at Waikiki I PREFER city view rooms. It took me a couple of trips to figure this out. Ocean view rooms are great - BUT most people are in their rooms only fleetingly during daylight hours. To change clothes, bring back shopping, take a quick shower, etc. At night, many of those same fabulous ocean views are totally black - NOTHING to see at all. Whereas the city view rooms are wonderful at night with all the lights and clouds coming over the mountains, etc.

So I save the money on the ocean view room and spend my days out on the beach and touring around. At Night I sit out on the balcony, having drinks with a beautiful nighttime city view. (I have never been much bothered by street noise.)

Jan 1st, 2003, 06:49 PM
lori

If you get any room along Waikiki Beach that faces Kalakaua Ave you will probably hear the traffic noise if you leave your window open.

A few years ago we stayed on the 20th floor of the Hyatt which is located across from the beach. The view was great but we couldn't sleep with the
lanai door open because of the noise.

Last year we stayed at the Sheraton Moana in an oceanview room. We really liked the location which was perfect for my active family. Also enjoyed the fact that we could go from our room to the beach without crossing the street. The Outrigger Waikiki is located next door to the Moana. Again, great location.

Don't go to Oahu with the expectation that it is quiet and laid back like Kauai or the Big Island. It's a fun active island with tons to see and do.
Good luck and have a great time.

Jan 1st, 2003, 11:43 PM
a

cnw

I have to agree with Janis. If you go for a cheaper room you can have more fun with restaurants and entertainment. You might try the Hilton using Hotwire (it is listed as a 4 1/2 star property). Sometimes they have excellent pricing and, if you get a city view room, it will be just fine.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:28 AM
Sarah

My favorite is the Moana. I have only had city view and in January. I did not have any problems with the noise others have on this forum have. My only suggestion to you is to ask for a corner room in the "old banyon wing". Also see if any promotionals are on such as the 35% discount I saw in 01 for anyone with a starwood card (free and like a FF card).

Hilton Hawaiian Village is a bad choice if school holidays are on. The pool fills up, the lobbys are cramed with people. This happened to me in August perhaps June is not so severe. The hotel does not have adequate staff or services in place for full capacity operation, and they really don't care either.

Outrigger looks nice but in a slightly lower category that the the too others. Still are you going to hang out in the hotel or are you just going to be sleeping in the hotel. Interested to read your post I have been in the lobby of the outrigger a gazillion times but never stayed, looks like a bargain hotel and worth the savings.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:36 AM
Sarah

Interesting point Janis makes about the city views. I have had gorgeous city views at the Ilikai next door to the HHV. There is a bargain if you go through the condo association on the second floor. Ilikai is a four star and I would say it is about the level of the Outrigger. It has a marina in front but you only have to walk a short distance to get to the beach next store in front of the hilton. I use to love evening jogs in the Marina, then walking to HHV for an evening show, crashing an evening swim at the HaliKoa pool (younger days). Next day doing a morning walk from Ilikai (North end of Waikiki) all the way down to Kapilani Park.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:47 AM
Nick

I stayed last month at the Marc Diamond Head after moving from a Kuhio Av hotel because of noise. Diamond Head is great for the quietness but only a few minutes walk from the main drag - Hyatt etc. The Marc is a bit odd as all the rooms are different as they are owned by different people (according to hotel reception). We had fully equipped kitchen including dishwasher etc. Building work was going on so got a big discount but outside 9 to 5, it was really quiet with fantastic views looking down to Waikiki and out to the park and Diamond head (reflected in wardrobe doors so you had 270 degree view). That was $118+ tax which was $35 less than Outrigger (I think the Waikiki one) which had a view into a condo block 5 metres away and smaller room. Only issue with MArc - must get higher floor, otherwise the views are straight into buildings as well.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:01 AM
cnw

All of you bring interesting points on my concern. Janis you mentioned something that we never thought about. What good is an ocean view room when it is dark in the ocean at night? Since many of you state that you are not in the room as much, we probably won't either. We will be doing things that many of you mentioned you have done. So there really is no need for us to splurge on a room that we really can't enjoy. That said we have narrowed it down to the Hilton and Sheraton Moana.
I know many have used priceline, but I want to make SURE we get the hotel and room we want. I don't want to chance the hotel on our first visit to Hawaii, unless there is another secret on priceline that I don't know about.

Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:14 AM
mary

Here's another vote for the Moana - it's really got old world charm. We were there for a week in 2001. We were lucky enough to get it for $75.00 a night through Priceline. However, you are right, there is no way to guarantee that hotel. In fact, I don't think I saw any posted bids for that hotel after we won it. Good Luck!

Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:37 PM
cnw

My mind is going nuts! I have been checking into the Halekulani and the rates are pretty good for the time that we plan on visiting Oahu.

Out of these three which would you choose and why. 1. Halekulani 2. Sheraton Moana 3. Hilton Hawaiian.
Thanks again everyone.

Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:06 PM
Lenore

We had the best of all these things, ocean view, city view and very quiet when we stayed at the New Otani Hotel on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki Beach. Our room was ocean view (not ocean front), which allowed us to see the ocean to the left, the city scape straight ahead, and a large park to the right. It's only a 10 minute walk to the "action", but quiet enough to leave your slider open at night and let the waves lull you to sleep. Loved this place!

Jan 4th, 2003, 08:49 AM
nyc

cnw:

All three of the hotels you picked are well located in Waikiki and face the beach. The Halekulani is by far the quietest of the three. The vast majority of the rooms face the beach or a courtyard. Although the hotel is adjacent to the Outrigger Reef's pool, none of the rooms face it. I've stayed at the Halekulani in high season and found the lobbies to be very calm and serene. The food and service are a cut above the Surfrider or the Hilton Hawaiian Village. However, if you are concerned about cost, the food at the Halekulani is good but very pricey. The Surfrider and Hawaiian Village give you a wider choice of dining options.

The Surfrider faces the nicest stretch of beach and is very centrally located. The Hilton Hawaiian Village has the best pool and the widest selection of activities.

Jan 4th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Sarah

moana it has a classic old time feel to

If budget were not an issue I would go with the Haleikulani just for the experience but I have only been for jazz.

HHV would not even consider too large and if you don't have kids there is really no point in staying here. Too much like every other hilton very very institutional.

Jan 7th, 2003, 08:03 AM
cnw

We are leaning towards the Halekulani for the service and quality of the place. Are non-guests allowed to eat at restaurants of resorts? I don't want to be trespassing in any way if we are not able to do so. If we are not allowed, we may lean towards the Hilton because of the activities it has. Are we able to walk across the beaches or are the roped off?
Thanks all for your help with this.

Jan 7th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Sarah

of course you can CNW how else would people find out about the hotel? We use to go for jazz and Scottish Smoked Salmon on Friday nights.

A fun walk in Waikiki is to go up and down the strip along beach and visit, Halekulani, Royal Hawaiian, Moana.