Reload this Page >

Beach Hotels in Waikiki

Search

Beach Hotels in Waikiki

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Duane

Beach Hotels in Waikiki

I am planning a trip to Hawaii next May. While I am not planning extensive time Oahu, we may be flying into Honolulu using Continental miles and then moving on to the other islands. Therefore, since we are there, we might stay a couple of nights to take in Pearl Harbor and see the city and beach.

I would like to stay at a mid-range property (around $200 or so) on the beach. I have found good rates for the Marriott Waikiki. I have also read good reviews on the New Otani Kaimana hotel. And, the New York Times mentioned the Waikiki Joy this weekend as a decent place. Any comments on these or any other hotels?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Lenore

We stayed at the New Otani in April. It's on the quiet Diamond Head end of Waikiki, but still within walking distance of the action. The hotel has a friendly staff and sits right on the sand on a nice quiet beach. The rooms are smallish as are the bathrooms, but our ocean view room faced Waikiki with the ocean fully visible to the left. Very nice and relaxing place, but not too fancy. They have a great restaurant which is a must for sunset dining....Hau Lanai Tree. Our only complaint is that they don't offer non-smoking rooms and ours had a definite smoky smell throughout our 5 night stay.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 01:06 PM
jt

Joy is nice but well away from beach. Marriot is central and across street from beach.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Mike Honeycutt

It has been five years, but we stayed at the Aston at the Waikiki Shore condos when we went to Hawaii. I don't see it mentioned much on the Internet but it was ok. Don't believe the pictures you see on the Internet because I don't think those rooms exist. The condo wasn't fancy but it had a ocean view (not an ocean front view from my condo) and was very convenient.

Mike Honeycutt

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Peter

I grew up and currently live on Oahu and if it were me, I'd stay at the New Otani hotel. You are going to fly all this way...and spend all that money...why not stay in a room with a full ocean view? And at a hotel right on the ocean?
Lenore is correct about it being at the "quiet" end of Waikiki. It gives you a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of Kalakaua Ave.

Also, if you were to get a room with an ocean view located in the heart of Waikiki, you can double the room rate per nite.

Have a great trip!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Betty

just returned from Maui and 3 days in Oahu, We stayed at at small Hotel called the Waikiki Parc. We got the room, buffet breakfast daily and car for around 189.00. It's just across the street from the beach. We could see the ocean from our lanai. I would highly recommend this place.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:47 PM
w

Before spending bit $$$ try Hotwire. Last time I got HHV for $100/night. It was listed as the 4 1/2 Star Hotel. Of course, YMMV.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:07 PM
steven

We spent 3 nights in Waikiki last month ... at Pacific Beach Hotel (check out their website). It's across the street from the beach but oceanfront rooms have spectacular views. Average size rooms, but very clean and staff very friendly. Ask for ocean-front room. Our package included free buffet breakfast. This is a great location.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:49 PM
frankie

Would the New Otani be a good place for wife, husband, and two boys ages 12 & 10 for three nights?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:20 PM
it

Hai, Frankie-san.

If you'd like to save some money and don't mind a few blocks walk to the beach try the Ocean Resort. Easily less than $ 100/night. It is not elegant but clean, safe and friendly.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:52 AM
SG

I live here and my favorites are-
Sheraton Mauna Surfrider or the Outrigger on the Beach

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:39 AM
a

Outrigger is great with a pool view room. If your view is the building next door then I would not agree. Outrigger is my image of the Hotel Honolulu; which makes it a bit fun.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Duane

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.