NYC Weekend - hotel help

Old Jul 14th, 2015, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Weekend - hotel help

We're going to NYC for the weekend in mid September and would like a recommendation on a reasonably priced hotel in mid-town. I get that reasonably priced in NYC is higher than most places, but we basically just need a quiet, clean place to sleep, we won't be spending a lot of time at the hotel.

A B&B would be fine if such a thing exists in mid-town. I also would like to know if AIRB&B or VRBO (are they the same thing now?) would well in NYC. Our main activities will be going to the Morgan Library to look at the Alice in Wonderland exhibit and going to a show, haven't quite settled on which yet. Eating will also feature prominently!

Thanks for your help, as always,
Alice
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 06:58 AM

There are very few B&Bs in Manhattan and I don;t know of any in midtown.

And for "reasonable" you need to give us a specific amount in $ per night. Also can you confirm if "we" is a couple who can share one double bed (usual room configuration in Manhattan) or if there are more of you and you will need a larger and more expensive room.

Sorry but subletting an apt for less then 30 days in New York is illegal. You can rent a room in someone's apt while they are in residence - IF their landlord or co-op doesn't ban this (which most do).
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 09:47 AM

I don't know your exact budget, but we stayed at the Paul in May and are staying there again next weekend.
http://www.thepaulnyc.com/

Lee Ann
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 10:05 AM

Speak in numbers - what are you trying to pay?

Airbnb and VRBO are basically illegal in NYC - can't have a shortage to keep the hotel rates up if there's too much supply of available alternatives.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think The Paul is sold out for most of September.

Larchmont Hotel near the Village has the feel of a BB and good prices. Shared bath. Check reviews. You'd have a short transit ride to the library but first a walk of about 4 blocks and exiting transit a walk of 6 blocks or so (1/3 to 1/2 mile).

www.larchmonthotel.com

it does fill up quickly....so you'd have to book soon but the cancellation policy is fine (48 hrs before arrival). So you could continue to look around but have something booked if prices increase.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 12:16 PM

Provide your nightly budget and exact travel dates, as prices vary.
One option is to bid on Priceline; read betterbidding and biddingfortravel to learn how if you haven't used Priceline before.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 04:09 PM

For a nice hotel (not overly deluxe) in NYC, I'd say $300 is reasonable. $200 is super. Would you agree with that? And don't forget you need to add on close to 20% more for taxes.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 04:39 PM

I believe the average rate for a Manhattan hotel room is about $260 per night. This is a pleasant - 3* - not upscale hotel and for most of the year. High season - Oct-Dec will be more and low season - Jan/Feb will be less.

That said there are always deals if you pick the right nights and search far in advance - esp if you will pay up front.

Suggest you start searching the discount sites for your specific dates.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

It's just me and my husband, 1 bed would be fine. I was hoping to stay around $250 (and I know the taxes are a killer). We're probably looking at Sep 18-20 but it's not certain. Are there any discount sites that are particularly good for NYC? The ones I've looked at are all showing the EXACT same prices.

At least for Europe, I sometimes get better deals when I book directly with the hotel, I don't know if that's the case here as well.

Sorry, I should have put the particulars in the first message, I just forgot.

Thanks for all the help!

Alice
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 03:37 AM

You can also check with hotels and can sometimes get better rates if you pay in advance. Have you looked at Kayak - which searches a number of sights?
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 05:42 AM

The Paul looks great! Staying at Affinia Gardens next month but Will put it on the list for my next visit.