NYC trip itinerary review

Old Oct 8th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC trip itinerary review

Hi,

I've been to New York many times but have a few full days there, finally. Here are my thoughts:

Arrive Saturday at noon. Uberx to Conrad NY.
Lunch at Dead Rabbit - I typically go to Stone Street and love the vibe there, but this restaurant is supposed to be really good.
WTC museum and observatory (are both needed?) I'm doing other tall buildings and such later, so maybe not the Observatory?
Dinner at Saxon and Parole

Sunday: The Cloisters. Drink at Wallflower. Dinner at Fish. Seems like I'll have some time mid-day. I've been to the High Line before, but maybe some walking there?

Monday: The Met. Dinner at Pulpiera UES.

Tuesday/Wednesday: In Boston

Thursday: Moving to Grand Hyatt. Whitney and Top of the Rock. Lunch at Great Northern Food Hall (doesn't seem to work time wise) and dinner at Park Addison Autumn.

I leave on Sunday (rest of the time at a conference). Really want to get to Pommes Frites, which I know is really near Fish - but I'll have fried food there likely - and maybe Fish for another time. So much good on the menu. Will also likely visit a couple of bars with views (one at the Conrad and the other at socialnyc), so I'm not sure if I need to pay for the Observatory if already doing Top of the Rock. Using the Explorer pass for most of my sites to save some money.

Thoughts? Timing-wise I feel I'm not trying to fit too much in, but my location for restaurants seems a bit of doubling-back at times. Despite the awesome food at Rabbit maybe I should go to Stone Street instead since I just love sitting outside there.
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 04:52 PM

If you are going to be at the Cloisters on Sunday the 16th - skip the rest of your itinerary and take the M4 bus to 175th St, walk up a block to Broadway and come see Mary Poppins introduced by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Details here:

http://unitedpalace.org/events/843-r...s-movie-palace
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Neat. Any other thoughts/comments?
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 05:08 PM

While the Met was voted the greatest museum in the world spending an entire day there IMHO would be overkill - much as I love it. I would pick the departments you are most interested in and then mix in at least one more activity - possibly exploring part of Central Park.

We are members and go all the time but I have found my limit is about 5 hours, even when that includes a special exhibit.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

That's a fair point, although I do love art museums! I've been there a few times, but I agree it might get to be a bit much. Might duck our early and then go to Central Park as you say. Never been to Neue Gallery either.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 09:15 AM

If you love art museums, MoMA and the Frick should be on your list.

https://www.moma.org/
http://www.frick.org/

You should also find some time to walk the High Line (preferably not on the weekends, when it is very busy).

http://www.thehighline.org/
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I have been to moma, frick and highline all previously. I should probably have mentioned that! I enjoyed all of those.
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Couple of f/u questions:

1) Is One World Observatory worth it if I will also be doing Top of the Rock and a rooftop bar at the Conrad?

2) How far in advance of a 6:55 weekday train to Boston do I need to be at Penn Station?
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Since you will be at the Met, walk up a block or two to the Neue Galerie on 5th and 86th to see the special collection of the work of Gustav Klimpt. It is marvelous. See my report of the gallery:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ue-galerie.cfm

I was there yesterday.
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks; I was thinking of Neue Gallerie as I've never been there and love his work.