Search

NYC Dec trip Itinerary: All comments/feedback/suggestions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:34 AM
ljn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Dec trip Itinerary: All comments/feedback/suggestions appreciated

NYC Trip Dec 16th - 20th: I have planned this trip to celebrate my mothers 50th birthday. This will be her 1st trip to NYC(I have visited before & loved it) So we have to see the 'must do NYC sites' She loves to shop & wants to get a real 'Christmas fix'. Would like to enjoy some good meals however my Mother is not a major foodie, she also dislikes 'uptight' restaurants. We also hope to see a show.

I have planned a rough itinerary and would love some feedback/comments/suggestions

Thanks!

Thurs 16th dec:
Staying at St Regis at Essex house, check in at 4.30pm, freshen up & go to Times square to TKTS stand to get tickets for a show that night.
Pre show drinks at Marriott Marquis (overlooking times square), show, then late dinner at Carmine's or Joe Allan

Friday 17th Dec
Grab a quick breakfast on the run...
Empire states building (will book tickets online) then travel downtown to staten island ferry (take round trip & enjoy the views) walk uptown to WTC site (to pay our respects).

Work our way back uptown & shop - Century 21, then onwards towards Canal st, Soho & the village. - Plan to have lunch in-between shopping - any Suggestions???
If not too shopped out - pop to Macys then head back to the hotel.

Around 5-6pm head over to the Met museum to view the artwork and afterwards have a cocktail & listen to the music on the great hall balcony (4 - 8.30pm fri & sat)
Take a taxi to Ouest for dinner (9pm)

Saturday 18th Dec:
Shopping! (yes I know the crowds will be crazy - but that's half the fun!)
Head down to Macys (also do H & M & Sephora since they are across the road).

Visit the Holiday gift fair at Grand Central Terminal, afterwards check out the lobby of the Chrysler building opposite.

Head over to Rockerfeller ctre, enjoy the atmosphere - may have lunch at Seagrill or rock centre cafe (I assume reservations will be needed - how far in advance shall I make them)

Visit St Patrick's cathedral
Check out window displays on 5th ave
Shopping at Bloomingdales & Tiffany

If we still have the energy check out some of the shops on Madison ave

Coffee & Dessert/Afternoon tea at Payard (I assume I will need to make a reservation How far in advance should I call??)

Head back to the hotel

Dinner at....: Open to suggestions I am considering Brasserie 8 1/2, Lever house - i want somewhere nice that my mum will enjoy with good (not pretentious) food and a non-uptight/snooty atmosphere. I am not overly concerned about the cost - Just want somewhere she will enjoy

Sunday 19th Dec:
Explore central park, head over to Upper westside & explore the neighbourhood (my mum loves this type of thing) - any must see places??

Brunch at....: I have been considering Cafe Botanica (Essex Hotel), Time Cafe (w 85th & Bway) or Should I bite the bullet & take her to Tavern on the Green (When I reserve I could ask/beg for the Crystal room as it is a birthday celebration!!) and hope for the best! If we could get the Crystal room I know she would love this (She is not a major foodie) she would just love the atmosphere & wouldn't mind so much about the reportably 'average' food, however if the service is as bad as I have heard this may put a dampener on the experience. - Any thoughts???

I am considering getting tickets for the Radio City hall Christmas show - Any thoughts or would you suggest alternative activity & if so what??

Dinner at: ???

Monday 20th Dec:
Walk down to Rockerfeller centre, see TV show crowds - Coffee at Dean & Deluca

Perhaps a spot more shopping

Lunch at: ??? Any suggestions? I had considered La Bonne Soupe but I am open to ideas

Take taxi to airport at 3.30pm & fly back to UK

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Friday is very full and optimistic about howmuch you can do in a limited time.

The crowds shopping in NYC at Christmas can go beyond fun and exciting and onwards into just-can't-move. I've seen the inside of Saks look like New Year's Eve in Times Square.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:47 AM

I agree about Friday being too much. I have done the evening museum thing, and you would be surprised how fast the time flies. The Met is pretty big. I would try to get there earlier to make it more of a pleasant experience.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Exactly what I was thinking, Friday is much too full. I would do Empire State Building and skip some of the other morning activities or vice versa, skip the ESB and head downtown in the morning.

The latter would be my personal preference, Century 21 will be packed, especially mid-afternoon.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also switch the Fri/Sat itineraries in the hope that the crowds would be just a little thinner at Rockefeller Center and around St. Patrick's on a week day.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:25 AM

If you plan on doing Macy's on the Sat before Christmas - get there early - like 8am. The store will be seriously crowded - esp the ground floor - I only go on a weekend that close to the Holidays when I have a large male "pusher/carrier" with me. (You will literally have to use your elbows to get through the crowds on the ground floor.) I would switch to another day if you can - but stick with the 8am start.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:50 AM
deborahk

I did a similar trip last year with my mother-keep in mind, I am nearly 50 any my mother in the 70's.
Here are a few things we most enjoyed:
the empire state building on a clear night-absolutely wonderful, radio city music hall Christmas spectacular, the window displays, bus tour around the city, our 44th floor view from the Hilton! We hated Macy's-way too crowded to be any fun-and we like to shop! There were others tips I could give you-but many people will be able to help. We really had fun.

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 10:00 AM

We go to NYC every year at the same time you are going in Dec. Times Square is a madhouse!! Avoid Macy's at all costs. You honestly cannot breathe. Century 21 close rather early. A Broadwaty show might be fun.. Billy Crystal's new one called 14 Sundays (or something like that)opens in dec and shoudl be great. in the theatre district is the BEST italian food i have evr tasted - Baldoria's. Jerry Orbach was there last year when we ate there.
the christmas spectacular was okay - your mom will probably really enjoy it.. mine did. Soho street vendors are a fun shopping experience. Window shopping (or window gazing) near Central Park is great/less crowded at night (8 or 9)and pretty safe. Be sure to check out the Barney's Window.
Hope thsi helps.

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 10:58 AM

If you must do Macy's, go as your evening activity. That close to Christmas, the store will be open very late most nights--at least 8:30PM, possibly even 11:00PM. (Do call them for a schedule.) In my experience, by about 7:30PM, things have calmed down quite a bit.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 01:34 PM

A few thoughts

Thurs.
Why bother with the TKTS booth as soon as you arrive? I would buy discount tickets ahead using a code from one of the websites like playbill, theatrermania, broadwaybox etc. I would also consider not going to the theater. You and/or Mom might be pooped from the trip. Why not just have a nice dinner, maybe some place with a view like Foley's Fish House? I'd go to the theater on Sat. night.

Fri
The Empire State Building is very near Macy's. I would go to Macy's when they open, then maybe the ESB then head downtown. Or as others say, do Macys at night. I wouldn't go near Macys on a Sat before Xmas.

Why dine on the west side when you''ll be at the Met? Maybe go to the Museum of Nat'l History on Fri night instead? Or hit this rest. on Sunday when you're on the UWS?
Don't worry about lunch. There are places everywhere.

Sat

As I said earlier, I would go to the theater this night. Have your afternoon tea. Payards is nice but so is the Pierre hotel across from the Plaza or, also on the upper east side, Kings Carriage House. Then maybe do a casual dinner after the show at Joe Allen's.

Sun

Flip a coin on brunch. I'd do Botanica. It's convenient and excellent. That close to Xmas, TOV will be a zoo. I think Mom would like the Radio City show. Whether you do it Sun or some other day.

Have a great time.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 07:26 AM
ljn
Original Poster

Thanks for all your feedback

I will make some amends to my itinerary - I plan to swop around some of the fri/sat activities. I also plan to cut a few activities from the list.

Given the choice would you suggest heading to Macys first thing on friday morning or later friday or saturday evening? (as suggested above)

Thanks
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 07:29 AM

It makes more sense to shop later in the day, so you can go straight back to the hotel wtih yourpurchases, rather than juggling them all day.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 08:27 AM
emd

ljn: Your Mom is very lucky to have a daughter like you to plan this kind of trip for her. I am almost 50 now, and I plan trips like this to NYC for my pre-teen daughter and me. The thought of her ever planning a trip like this for me brings tears to my eyes.
I stay at Essex alot and have stayed at the St Regis club there; you'll get that nice butler service. You can even arrange something special w/the butler, like have them ring your doorbell and have a surprise on the silver tray for your Mom (a petite birthday cake for the two of you w/the candles lit, and a split of champagne or sparkling non-alcohol stuff?) Just talk to them, they'll do whatever special things you want done for her. I would let them know it is your Mom's birthday when you get there. They may put some fresh flowers or fruit in the room just because you tell them that.
I second mclaurie's suggestion on Cafe Botanica for your brunch. You'll be right there in the hotel, and it is a fabulous brunch. You can perhaps get a seat by the window and watch everyone bustling by Central Park as you eat.
I also second mclaurie's suggestion on getting your tickets ahead of time w/a discount code if possible. I would not want to stand in line at TKTS right when I got in town when you could do something else w/that time and see a show you want to see instead of whatever is left at TKTS at 4:30pm on a Thurs. in mid-Dec. (slim pickins by that time). Lately I have been getting lots of specials in my email inbox from the theater discounters that mclaurie mentioned.
Some of the restaurants you mentioned (Brasserie 8 1/2, Rock Center Cafe, Sea Grill, others, and my favorite, Cafe Centro) are part of a group called Restaurant Associates. Go to www.restaurnatassociates.com to get their menus, times, etc. ALSO NOTE since it will be your Mom's birthday around this time, you can sign her up ahead of time for their birthday special. With this special, you spend the first $30 or $50 (depending on which restaurant you choose) and the spend $30 or &50 on the bill is free. This is for food and drinks/wine. You sign up online and get a certificate to print and bring w/you. They ask for ID and proof of the birthdate when you get there, and a reservation must be made. You don't have to go there on your exact birth date, the cert. is good for a few months.
Have a wonderful time. Your Mom will be so impressed and happy w/all the planning you have done. She will feel so special.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 08:37 AM
ljn
Original Poster

Emd - Thank you so much for your email - Thanks especially for the insight into the St Regis - I think the birthday cake/butler idea is great?

also if you dont mind can you give me any further insight (available special services etc) into St Regis level of the Essex House as the website offers very little information.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 12:23 PM

I second that recommendation for getting a certificate for Restaurant Associates for a birthday, but unless they've recently changed it, there's a correction to be made. The amount was only good for food, and does not include wine or drinks.
At Sea Grill, for example, if you spend a total of $60 on food with the certificate you pay $50 and they pay the additional $10. But if your FOOD total is $100 then you pay $50 and they pay the additional $50. It makes no difference what your entire bill is! I'm well aware of that, because the couple at the next table made a big scene insisting that it should include their drinks. They had only spent just over $50 for food total and weren't getting much of anything for their certificate. I knew about it and we ordered an almost exact $100 worth of food. Let's not talk about the drinks or wine!!

I'd also agree that it makes more sense to get theatre tickets at discount in advance than standing in line at TKTS. And I'll also second that your mom would HAVE to love the Radio City Show -- which I believe Playbill.com still has a special running for.

Everybody seems to be avoiding the controversial to dine or not to dine at Tavern on the Green. But from what you say, I think that should be a definite must and something she will remember (most favorably).
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 01:23 PM
emd

jlin: The difference in the St Regis club part of the Essex house that I have observed while staying there are these: It has has a separate check-in area (off to the right of the check in area for Essex); the roosm are much much nicer, different level than the Essex (which I also like BTW) re the linens and furnishings and lights, it is all nicer at the St Regis club, and I it is similar to the St Regis Hotel when I have stayed there (also a Starwood property, but a separate hotel not to be confused w/the St Regis cluba t Essex that you are staying at); and the butler service. You ring that butler and ask for coffee (no charge in the morning), shoes shined, and whatever else your little heart desires, and you get it. I know they would do a little something extra for your Mom, the butler is basically at your service and only takes care of one floor at the St Regis club, so you are that butler's focus to the extent you want or need the extra attn.
Patrick, thanks for clearing up the restaurant associates deal- I had no alcohol while dining w/my daughter at Cafe Centro but my certificate said good for food and beverages and I erroneously thought that meant the other kind of drinks. BTW- did I ever thank you personally for that birthday deal recommendation? When I took my daughter to NY over Memorial Day you were the one who turned me on to that deal (or I read it in one of your posts that I poured over). So, if I didn't say it yet, a big thank you.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:31 AM
ljn
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your advice.

Regarding the show I have registed at Playbill (for discounts) and have been looking at the websites that mclaurie suggested so that will save some time on the Thursday (arrivel date)

Further to patricks last reply (that I should bite the bullet & book Tavern on the green) - any suggestions would be appreicated - Should go for lunch or dinner & which one will stand the best chance of getting into the crystal room - also I guess I should avoid going there on the sat (sat b4 Xmas) but would you suggest any particular day (fri, sun, monday (mon can do lunch only)) to maximise my chance of getting the crystal room as I really want this to be a great experience for my mum (as I am sure that based on comments here, on citysearch & trip advisor I am not going there for the quality of the food)

Thanks everyone