NYC Trip Itinerary Help - please look over

May 5th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

NYC Trip Itinerary Help - please look over

4.5 days, end of June / beginning of July

I would like some comments on my itinerary, specifically, if we are doing things on the right days (based on crowds), if anything looks really unrealistic or unorganized (as to locations), and any other ideas of things we shouldn’t miss? It will be myself and my husband (late 20s, early 30s), and his parents from Scotland (50s). Any feedback would be so much appreciated. Thank you!!

Thursday:
Arrive at LaGuardia from Cleveland at 9:05 am
Taxi to hotel – Excelsior Hotel, upper west side

Afternoon – lunch and shops at the Grand Central Station
Explore Times Square, shop etc. Maybe Rockefellar Center.
Evening – Top of the Rock at sunset
Dinner at Blue Fin at the W Times Square

Friday:
Morning – Check out Zabars Market and have breakfast at their café (opens 7:30)
American Museum of Natural History at 10am ?? (I feel like we should go here since it’s across from our hotel. But I’m not 100% on this)
Lunch – Arte Café (uws)
Afternoon – Explore WTC / Financial District / Battery Park City
Dinner – somewhere in the World Financial Center
Harbor Lights Boat Cruise (circle line)
Ice cream at Serendipities

Saturday:
Morning – Breakfast at French Roast (upper east side)
Central Park
Afternoon –
Lunch – Old Castle Pub and Restaurant (w 54th st)
And then ????
Dinner – Isabella’s (uws)

Sunday:
Morning – Breakfast at Café Mozart (upper west side)
Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral 10:15am (midtown)
Afternoon – Chelsea Market, and lunch at Goupil and De Carlo Patisserie
Walk around Greenwich Village area
Dinner – Indian Restaurant (not sure which yet, I had a separate thread on that)

Monday:
Morning – Breakfast at Fred’s ?
??????
Lunch at EJ’s Luncheonette????

Our flight is at 4pm. So we should leave for the airport at ______ ????

Other ideas I have going around in my head are, a Broadway musical (maybe on Sunday night? Or whenever we can get tickets really), Metropolitan Museum of Art, NBC Experience Tour, Gray Line Sight Seeing Bus, & Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum.

Thanks!!
May 5th, 2006, 10:22 AM
GoTravel

Too many meals.

Either do breakfast, late sit down lunch, then snack for dinner or breakfast, snack, and dinner.

You will not have time to eat that much and still be awake to do the things you want to squeeze in.

Sunday, since you are going to be downtown, pick one of the lovely downtown churches for Mass. There is a lovely Ukrainian Catholic Church, I think on 7th Street.

May 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM

On sunday showtimes for musicals are generally matinees. so you'd be going in the midafternoon.

also your schedule sounds awfully scheduled to me. I like having a general idea of what to do and then planning the day based on how everyone is feeling. Plus what about other museums or shopping? And I agree that it is too many meals and you might want to be a little more flexible.

maybe you want to do the MoMa or the Met instead of the Natural History museum if you are into art instead of science. You should check out NY Magazine or TimeOut magazine when you get here and see what exhibits are going to be on display, that's how i decide which museums to go to.

Some specific comments. Friday night, Serendipity is far far away from Battery Park and seems awfully out of your way after your long day. That might be something to reconsider for another day when you are in midtown.

As for flying out if your flight is at 4 then you need to get there at 3 then leave by 2:30 to allow half an hour to get to the airport.
May 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM

I was also wondering about all the meals!
Though I agree it's nice to have some places in mind--especially for destination restaurants, most of the Upper West Side places you list are really casual and you certainly don't need to "plan" to go there. And , for example, on your Monday schedule you have Fred's for breakfast and EJs for lunch. They are just about across the street from each other, and you certainly don't need both in one day (and I dont think Fred's serves Breakfast).
You seem to have picked a lot of food places very near your hotel--which is fine for breakfast and maybe handy to have dinner in after a long day, but you will probably be in other neoghborhoods most of the day. None of the UWS places you list are anything you need to schedule your day around.
On Friday, you have a Harbor Light cruise and then Serendipity--which is WAY across town. Doesn;t seem worth the special trip/cab ride to get there.
Saturday you list French Roast on the "upper east side" --there MAY be one there, but there is one on the WEST side, again very close to the hotel, again not worth planning a day around!

It would be best if you work your plans around the activities/sights (museums, shows) etc, keeping in mind that certain things aren't open certain days (e.g. many museums are closed MONDAYS--though the Natural History IS open)
Sorry I sound like I'm just saying no to everything...
May 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I didn't see a French Roast on the uws, good to know. We aren't planning our day around any of the casual places for lunch or breakfast. I just like to have some sort of an idea. Also, staying on the uws our last day was in order to be near the hotel to check out and store our bags, and then get them again later.

Most of our breakfasts will be light. It may be nice to get out of the summer heat/humidity and sit down for lunch and dinner.

I'm really curious about Serendipities after the boat cruise. We have to head back up towards our hotel anyways, will it really be that far out of the way? Plus they are open so late.

Maybe we should go to the Natural Hist. Musuem on our last day. Is there enough time though? I am definitely a science person (I'm a bio teacher), but I'm not sure how the rest of my in laws feel about art.

We like to have some idea of what we want to do, but nothing is set in stone at all! (Just dinner reservations when we make them).

May 5th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Ditto what everyone else has said and you have gotten some terrific suggestions already.

If you are going to be downtown, you might walk over to the South St. Seaport for Ice Cream which is open late at night, for shopping and eating.

Also if you want to see a Broadway show, you might go to the TKTS booth at the South St. Seaport, it opens at 10am, and they even have matinee tickets for the next days performance. Typically matinee days are Wednesday and Sat or Sunday.

You also might enjoy walking around Chinatown and Little Italy on your way back uptown. Old St. Patricks Cathedral might also be a good suggestion for church on Sunday, it is downtown.

One thing most visitors don't realize that getting from the West Side of Manhattan to the east side, takes a bit of time either in a bus or cab, and Central Park divides the city starting at 59th St and goes up to 110 St. and I believe it is almost half a mile wide. Lots to see in the Park as well, and makes a nice day when the weather is warm.

Instead of taking the Cruise Line you might consider the Staten Island Ferry over and back, it's free and the view from there is spectacular.

Have a great time while you are here.
May 5th, 2006, 12:16 PM

You should make a point to get to one of the best restaurnats in NYC. Tao!!

You will not be sorry.
May 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

South St. Seaport sounds nice.
May 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Something to keep in mind is that the wait to get into Serendipity on a summer weekend night can be really long. Although I enjoy the place myself (having been there several times on weekday nights), I don't think it is worth a one or two hour wait on a weekend to get in. JMHO.
May 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM

You should know that there are *very few* places to eat dinner in the Financial District. I can think of a few: Bobby Van's (steakhouse -- $$$$$), Les Halles (french steakhouse -- $$$$), some places in the Seaport ($$-$$$$). That's about it.

If you need to stay downtown for the Harbor Cruise, you might think about Chinatown for dinner.
May 5th, 2006, 12:34 PM

A couple of other thoughts. I don't know if the Intrepid will be that interesting to your group or not -- it is a huge aircraft carrier with military history stuff there. But you should know that it is way on the west side of midtown, not really near anything else.

Why not tour the Metropolitan Museum on Saturday afternoon after strolling through Central Park? If you stay late, they have cocktails on the roofgarden or on the mezzanine with a quintet. I don't know anything about the Old Castle Pub, but it is a "can't miss"?? There are plenty of diners, etc on the East Side near the museum to grab a bite.
May 5th, 2006, 12:58 PM
GoTravel

Fraunces Tavern is good and historical. There is a great Tapas place on Stone Street but I can't think of the name of it.

Amelie, the problem is doing a sitdown lunch and dinner. Do one or the other because you'll quickly find both is too much. Or, if you must do lunch you'll want to hold off on dinner until 9 or 10PM.

May 5th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

We weren't really planning on having dinner til 9pm anyway. I also remember us having sit down lunches and dinners in London. I don't think a panini at Arte Cafe for lunch, and then dinner somewhere is that big of a deal.

Old Castle Pub is appealing since my husband has not been home to Scotland in two years, and they will probably be showing world cup soccer that weekend.

And the Intrepid Musuem is right up my father in laws alley. He loves that kind of stuff.

**lisettemac - There's quite a few places to eat in the World Financial Center http://worldfinancialcenter.com/dining/(which was why I listed that in my itinerary). I may look into Seaport though as well.

Everyone has given me things to think about though. Keep it coming.
May 5th, 2006, 01:20 PM

YOu're getting enough advice about your schedule. So, I'll focus on your flight on Monday. Assuming you are flying back to Scotland on that 4 p.m. flight, then you better leave for the airport a lot earlier than the previously suggested 2:30! First of all, for an international flight, you should be there at least 90 minutes before flighttime. Further, I'd definitely allow more than a half hour to get to the airport (JFK, if you're flying home). I'd leave for the airport by 1:30-1:45 at the latest.
If I assume wrong about your destination from NY and you're off to another USA location, then I would leave for the airport around 2 at the latest. You never know what kind of traffic tieup you might hit.
May 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Nope, we are flying back to Cleveland. But thanks! I am thinking 2:30 is pushing it anyway. We normally get to the airport 90 min to 2 hours early for domestic flights.
May 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Sorry -- I didn't read carefully enough to see that you said World Financial Center. FWIW, the Seaport is across town from the WFC. There is also a Roy's at the JW Marriott on West Street.

Go -- I don't know the tapas place on Stone Street, but now that you mention it, there is now a good pizza place on Stone Street (Adrienne's), a Scandinavian place and also a carvery on Stone Street. Be warned that on a Thurs evening in nice weather, Stone Street will be packed with 20-somethings from the financial services industry looking to meet each other.
May 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Oh and there are pubs on the East Side that will also be showing the world cup soccer, if you happen to be on that side of town. I wouldn't make a special trip for that particular pub.
May 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Names of the pubs? I think I saw Old Castle Pub in a guidebook or something. No clue where I found the website from. Very nice that there are many places that show soccer. There is basically 0 here in Cleveland. I'm not the soccer fan though, not at all. (I'm the US citizen, they are not).