NYC: transportation from ft. Hamilton Brooklyn to Manhatten

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of five and we are coming to NYC for the Thanksgiving weekend. We will be staying at Fort Hamilton at the tip of Brooklyn and are looking for affordable and safe ways to get into Manhattan. We don't mind using subways but are not really wanting to walk in neighborhoods of unknown safeness. Maybe some sort of park and ride? IF need be, we can backtrack to Staten Island and take the ferry but is there anywhere to park there?
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Here is the subway map. The "R" train travels near Fort Hamilton. I am sure many people on the base will be able to give you exact instructions as to where to pick it up.

Fort Hamilton is a beutiful and safe neighborhood. Going to Staten Island will be expensive and convoluted.

There are many Brooklynites who take the "R" train to work in Manhattan daily from Bay Ridge.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 01:07 PM

You could also ask about express buses. The x27 runs from Bay Ridge to Manhattan and the x28 runs from Bensonhurst to Manhattan. You'll be right in between.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM

NYC does not have park and ride - you find that only in the outer suburbs. And trekking to Staten Island and taking the subway would add an hour at least to your trip each way - and then you would have to find a place to park in Staten Island.

(If you have a car and are afraid to take public transit then drive into Manhattan - yes, it will be hell and will cost $35 to $40 - - and park the car for the day and take the subway around Manhattan.)
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Fort Hamilton's website offers no public transport options--just driving directions.

However, If you look at the link I've provided, the fort does have a list of possibly helpful telephone numbers that might you might call.

From the website:

"The Fort Hamilton main gate is located at the corner of Fort Hamilton Parkway and 101st Steet in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, New York. Because our first priority is getting you here safely, here are some phone numbers that may be useful during your travel.

Travel Visitors Center help line: (718) 630-4848
Fort Hamilton Operator: (718) 630-4101
Fort Hamilton Main Gate: (718) 630-4848
Military Police Desk: (718) 630-4456/4678"

http://www.hamilton.army.mil/default.asp?page=direction
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:59 AM

As Aduchamp notes the R train services the Bay Ridge neighborhood. If the nearest station is too far a walk you might try driving to that station and park near it. You need not worry about "safety" - Bay Ridge -as is most NY neighborhoods - is perfectly safe to walk around. And - some good restaurants in that area also.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM

Funny, I was just at Ft. Hamilton yesterday, it's a beautiful location, just two blocks from 4th Ave., which seemed like a main street, shops/restaurants, etc.

We had driven there, didn't see a subway stop, but on the submway map it shows the R has a stop at 95th street, which would be about 6 blocks or so, depending on the "cross" street. There's probably an express bus too.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:46 AM

I WAS STATIONED AT FORT HAMILTON FOR MORE THAN THREE YEARS. IT IS A BEUTIFULL ARMY BASE,NICE AND CLEAN. THE NEIGHBOR IS SAFE TO WALK EVEN AT NIGHT. IF YOU WANT TO GO TO MANHATTAN GO TO THE 95TH STREET STATION (6 BLOCKS FROM THE MAIN-GATE) THE ONLY DRAW BACK IS THAT THE "R" IS A LOCAL TRAIN AND MAKE A LOT OF STOPS IN BROOKLYN BEFORE IT CROSES THE EAST RIVER. ONCE IN MANHATTAN IT MOVES A LITTLE FASTER. IT TAKES YOU TO 42ND STREET (TIMES SQUARE) MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, BROADWAY AND OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST. I USED TO GO TO YANKEE STADIUM BY TRAN AT NIGHT WITH NO PROBLEM. HOWEVER, THAT WAS SOME TIME AGO. GOOD LUCK AND I KNOW YOU WILL ENJOY FORT HAMILTON
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:15 AM

You can get the R train at 95th St. and take it to 59th St. and switch to the N Express to Manhattan; or better still, go to 36th St. and switch to the N or D express to Manhattan.

Both 59th. St and 36th St. are just a few stops from 95th. St. on the R line in Brooklyn.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM

Pane

This thread is two years old. One can only hope the OP has arrived in Manhattan by now.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM

LOL. I didn't notice the date of the OP. And here I thought I was being so helpful.

Anyway, if she took the express she probably arrived - not sure about the local.