Search

NYC transportation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC transportation

Have 2 20 year olds going to the Yankees game on Sat Aug 2nd and flying in to LaGuardia @ 10 am, their hotel may be on about 48th and Broadway, they will probably have only backpacks as luggage and are looking for cheap transportation to and from the hotel. Have read about the M60 bus but we were wondering about the Q33 bus connecting with the 7 subway which should take them all the way to the times square stop? Is this a possibility and how long would it take? Their return flight leaves @ 5pm on Monday so also were wondering about the return transportation to LGA on weekday and time they should allow as would like to do some sightseeing Monday morning. Thanks for any input!
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

One more thing-can they buy the day pass at the airport that would allow them on the bus and then the subway and how does that process work? where in LGA do they buy it and where do they catch the bus? thanks again
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:22 AM

They should be OK - since the game on Sat doesn't start until 3:55pm. (A flight landing at LGA at 10 am and a 1pm start time would probably mean them missing the start of the game.)

To take public transit on a Sat - when things run less often - will take them about 1.5 hours to get into midtown Manhattan. So they'll have time to just dump their stuff at the hotel and head out to the game.

If at all possible they should be at the stadium at 2pm for a 4pm game - since if they want to see Monument Park it closes 45 minutes BEFORE the game starts.

Also note that the Stadium has strict security and won;t allow you in with anything larger than a normal size purse (and they will look inside that).

As to exactly where to get the bus - haven;t a clue - since we never do anything but taxi. I would have them look at the airport web site under ground transportation. And be prepared for subway delays - since they do track work on weekend to avoid delaying millions of commuters during the week.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about the subway delays-they had planned to get to the stadium early to see monument Park. Still hoping someone has some input re: the M60 bus vs the Q33.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Better the Q33 as the 7 line's station will be within walking distance of the hotel. I believe that the M60 stops at 110th St.

Estimated travel times should be available on the MTA web site.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I'd say the M60 would probably take a little less time and at 110th St they can get the #1 subway which will take them to 42nd St (Time Square).

From their hotel, they will need to walk to 47th-50th St subway stop to catch the D train which will take them all the way to the stadium, and then the D train back to the hotel.

The M60 does the trip into Manhattan pretty quickly, I've actually taken it a few times. At the airport all they have to do is ask at the transportation desk where the bus stops.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 05:01 AM

For 48th/Broadway, they want to take the Q33 to 74th/Roosevelt, but they do NOT want the 7 train. Rather, they want to get the R train at the same station and take that to 49th/Broadway in Manhattan, 1 block from their hotel. That should take a little over an hour total once they board the bus.

I'm afraid that I don't know about buying Metro cards at Laguardia. If they can't do that, then they have to have $2 in change for the bus and then buy a Metro card at the subway station.

For the return, they do exactly the opposite, but they should leave very early because the buses going to LGA can be erratic. I would not leave for the airport later than 2:00.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much-I think we got focused on the 7 subway as we thought the hotel would be somewhere around Times Square but didn't have exact location of the hotel-saving any amount of walking is a good thing during a weekend in New York even for the young as they are taking an early flight in order to see Yankee stadium before the game. Have a backup cheaper plan(than taxi) to take the New York airport service bus out of Grand central on the return flight because they may be out sightseeing Mon am and don't know exactly where they will be early afternoon-One son just wants to be on Wall street Monday am because he is an accounting major and wants to see the hustle/bustle Mon am brings. They are hoping if they have e-tickets and just carryons they will only have to go through security for departure so they can get to the airport a little later if transportation seems to be slow getting to LGA.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:29 AM

<<I'm afraid that I don't know about buying Metro cards at Laguardia. If they can't do that, then they have to have $2 in change for the bus and then buy a Metro card at the subway station.>>

If they pay the bus fare with coins, be sure they ask the bus driver for a transfer when they pay. A paper MetroCard will pop out of the farebox. They can use this to transfer to the R train (or any other subway within two hours of its purchase).
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 09:19 AM

I THINK that the paper Metrocard transfers that you get on a bus are only good for another bus, NOT the subway
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Rats! This may be true. Have them take the paper transfer anyway, just in case.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input-hoping they can find a Metro vending machine @ the airport as they plan to use the bus and subway throughout that day.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Metrocards are sold at the Hudson News stands at the airport, but I don't know if they will have "fun passes". They might be better just buying a metrocard that they can both use the whole time they're here. You can buy them at most any dollar amount.
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM

If you have a friend who lives in NYC, you can have them purchase the funpass ahead of time and mail it to you. The funpass doesn't start the clock until the first time that it is used.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the input-they had a wonderful time!! Bought fun passes at Hudson news after asking a few people(forgot what their mom had said)easy access to the Q33 then the W subway to the 49th street stop( one block form their hotel). My younger son had never been to NYC and when they got off the subway and turned around my son did the stand and gawk right in the middle of the sidewalk as he saw the jumbotron-apparently the start of their great trip! Took the subway to the stadium and in the process of taking over 100 pictures at the stadium between the game, monument park and the old-timers game my son lost his fun pass(in the same pocket as his camera)they had to stand in line after the game for almost an hour to buy a new one. They used the bus and subway all the time. They took the subway and the Q33 bus back to LGA and the last day sightseed with their backpacks all day. Their feeling was the bus/subway was easy transportation but if they had anything more than just a small carryon luggage or their backpacks the bus would not have been easy as it was especially crowded Mon. pm. They ran into very helpful people even when they didn't ask-people suggesting(only by the questioning faces as to what train to take) that they get on the present train instead of waiting on the hot platform for an express or different train. Thanks to all the great New Yorkers that helped them out-one even chased after them to return a cell phone left on a chair!!