Search

yankees game

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yankees game

hi, i'm 19 yrs old and beginning to start traveling alone. the first place i'm planning to go is to a yankees/redsox game at the end of may. i am going to arrive by bus and after the night game head to the airport. i need help with subways from yankee stadium to either of the three airports and how late the subways run. thanks
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
J62

go to www.trips123.com and put in Yankee Stadium as the start and LGA as the end.

It's about a 10min subway ride from the Stadium to 125th st, then a 30min bus ride from there to LGA.

Don't even consider JFK or Newark for flights after a game.

Night games typically start at 7pm and will run to 10pm, maybe longer if it's a slow game.

Are there even any flights departing at midnight?
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM

Unless you already have tickets you will have to get them from a ticket broker or scalper and either way you will pay a lot.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:29 AM

J62 is right. I don't know of any flights that leave at midnight from LGA (Laguardia airport in Flushing, NY). The Yankees/Red Sox games are scheduled to start at 705pm, and we go AT LEAST until 10pm if not longer. I have been to them, and they tend to be long ones! That being said, you and the other 50,000+ people there will need to exit the park. So, unless you plan on leaving the game in the middle of it (or during the Seventh inning stretch), you won't make it to the airport for any flight! Your best bet would be to get a hotel reservation for the night of that game and then fly out the next morning.

Oh yes, and buy your tickets for that game ASAP. They might even be sold out by now. They usually are due to the big Red Sox/Yankees rivalry...
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:47 AM

From your ID name, I'm assuming you're going to Florida? If so, I think your flight options are limited at that hour of the night. (Given the typical 3+ hour game, probably more if on national TV. ) you realistically won't be able to make a flight until after midnight. BTW, if this is an ESPN Sunday Night game, the start time might be pushed back to about 8.

That said, I think there are better options than what's been suggested thus far. During the day, the subway to LGA is fine. But, I think trying to time a NYC bus after 11 in the middle of Queens is a tough bet.

At that hour of the night, Newark might actually be your best bet. NJ Transit trains run from NY Penn Station to the Newark Airport station. From there, you take the monorail to the terminals.

From the Stadium to Penn Station, take the B or D to 125th Street. Grab the A Express Train to Penn Station. From there, you can take NJ Transit. (Make sure you have a sense of which train you're shooting for.)

Now, here's the practical problem. You may not be able to bring your bag into the Stadium. The Yankees have a very strict policy of what can and can't be taken in.

Given the uncertain ending of the game time, the practical issues of lack of flights and bag storage, my suggestion is to think about getting a room at one of the numerous youth hostels in NY ( the Upper West Side YMCA, for instance) and catch a flight in the morning. In the morning, you can make it to any of the three airports and catch the flight that best fits your budget.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Another alternative would be to go to a Red Sox-Evil Empire game at Fenway Park in Boston. Easier to see the action from closer seats in a truly historic baseball landmark among the most beautiful/knowledgeable fans in the world, as opposed to the Bronx uglies.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Very true ken- gator if you come Boston, I suggest that you not wear a "Stinkees" shirt...
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Evil Empire?

You just paid $51mm for the right to even talk to a Japanese player. Please. The only difference between the Yankees and Red Sox is the magnitude of their spending, not the intent. Well, that and about 20 world championships.

BTW, this should give you some view of the rivalry UF.

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:39 AM

I think you have several points to consider:

Yankees/Red Sox games sell out the day the tickets go on sale - so to get them now you will have to use a scalper - at double or more face price of the ticket.

Due to security since 9/11 you can;t take any large bags into the Stadium with you. I believe there is a bar nearby where you may be able to have the bartender hold your bag for a fee.

Game will last until at least 10pm - meaning by the time you get to the subway (assuming you're not going for the $100 seats - you won;t get on a train until 11 or so.

Subways run 24/7 - but not that often after midnight - and you can get only to JFK by subway. To LGA you need to use subway to bus (which will run probably only every hour or so that late). To get to EWR you will have to take the subway to Penn Station, switch to NY Transit and then to the Air Train in Newark.

I don;t reco doing any of these things that late at night. And - have you found any flights that leave at 2am (you're not going to make it to any of the airports for a flight before that - and I don;t know of any leaving then)

I think you're may well have to spend the night in NYC and then fly out the next day. Don;t know what your budget is - but there's a not bad hostel at Amsterdam and 103rd St you may want to consider.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
J62

The tone of this thread has taken on the usual NYY-Boston tone. No Yankee fan has even commented on your intent of going to the game. Fans at the Stadium welcome visitors and home fans alike. The record on the field speaks for itself. 26-5 chamionships. Not even close.

You see that it is the Boston fans that have chimed in with "evil emipre" this or 'stinkies' that.

Very typical response from those who feel themselves inferior - it's better to lash out at the other team rather than recognize that their own team is just down right less successful. For 86 years they blamed losses on a silly so called 'curse' rather than simply acknowledging they were just not good enough to win it all.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM

OKAY, OKAY.. it is agreed that the Yankees are champions.. and if you are wondering why we just bought Dice-K or paid that exorbitant amount just to TALK to him.. You have to see what Steinbrenner is spending on his team.. Let's face it.. the best way to seea
Red Sox/Yankees or Yankees/Red Sox game is on a big screen in your local sports bar..Tickets are impossible to get whether at Yankee Stadium or even worse Fenway..(there are less seats)...As a Red Sox fan I deplore the vulgar,yes, vulgar t-shirts that Red Sox fans wear and some of their attitudes.. But I also hear that wearing a Red Sox shirt at Yankee Stadium is tantamount to "asking for it".. The new owners of the Red Sox have put more $$ into their team and into Fenway park than anyother previous owner..Epstein, the wonderkind.. has made some shrewd choices... Just rememember the Red Sox have Papi and Manny...lol..Many a baseball player (lets not name names) has found playing in Boston intense on and OFF the field.. So, ufgators33 try to get tickets down in Florida...oh they are hard to get too..lol J62--Im a white head,married to a man that once played third base in Fenway..and only people from NY and Boston can understand what we are talking about. I only wish (ifyour from NY) that you heard the stories from people when the Red Sox did win..they'd bring tears to your Yankee heart..
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM

I am a Boston fan and would like to state for the record that I (at least this time) made no comment on allegiances of OP or relative merits of either team - and as far as seeing game in a Yankees-Red Sox game in Boston, those tickets are likely to be even harder to come by and more expensive.

Poster who made comment about game being somewhat longer than a usual baseball game is probably correct - these games are often nationally televised which adds at least 15-30 minutes to length of game. I do not see any reasonable way to fly out that night. And since any air ticket you are likely to buy would be non-refundable, that does not even take into consideration rain delay, extra innings, or unusually lengthy game because of numerous pitching changes, extra time for pitchers to scratch themselves, batters to taunt pitchers by stepping out of batters box incessantly, etc.

Perhaps one of the other games that weekend is an afternoon game - if you do not already have tickets, I would opt for that if you really must be out of NY day of game.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:40 AM

" Easier to see the action from closer seats in a truly historic baseball landmark among the most beautiful/knowledgeable fans in the world, as opposed to the Bronx uglies.

I have NEVER seen UGLIER, and more DRUNK fans than the young punks at Fenway - STAY AWAY!

Evil Empire??? Hello Dice-K! These jokers gave J.D. Drew how much!!!

As for winning, please they are like the fat guy at last call who got lucky ONCE!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM

btw, as for seeing a game in the Bronx. You could probably score a single ticket from a scalper outside after the game starts.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM

The three games in that series are night games. So if gator is staying for the whole game he (I am assuming, not a girl?) would need to spend the night before flying out the next day.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM

I am assuming that there is no sports team in Florida (or most the the rest of the country) where the local TV stations break into regular programming to show a live shot of the equipment truck leaving Boston for Spring Training. We are in Boston, admittedly insane sports fans.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Ooooh, I really stirred up the pot with my "Evil Empire" comment. The Red Sox have to spend wildly to keep up with George Steinbrenner who was the first to distort any semblance of parity by buying players like crazy. George may have mellowed slightly in his dotage, but he is still the guy who thinks money is everything and who has no respect for his managers or players. That is why he is reviled outside of NY.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Hey, ParrotMom, are you able to name hubby? I'll remember--I go back to Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr. I remember when Mel Parnell beat the Y*****s five times in one season, four of them shutouts.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Can we give the Red Sox/Yankees stuff a rest? We all know we dislike each other - and it;s a rivalry that's been going on since the 1920s.

That doesn;t help the OP - who hasn;t been back - and does seem to need some help with his plans.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM

Parrot Pop has a Ted Williams room..lol He played with Harry Agganis from Boston University at Fenway.. PP played third base (he also has a bad ankle from sliding into bases)...I hope you didn't think he played for the Red Sox..lol..We have a signed Bobby Doerrr print. If you know Xmas Tree shops..he's picked up more than two dozen books on the Red Sox...and a few on baseball.. We hope that we have a true Ted Williams signed baseball...bought when the son had a shop at the Atrium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -