first time to NYC

Jun 24th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

first time to NYC

Going to NYC for 7 days and would like to see EVERYTHING. Not sure how, HOHO bus tour first, then go on subway or are they a waste of time and money? Which are best tours?

Coming in from JFK to midtown somewhere, no hotel yet. what is easiest and cheapest way? Probably depends on where we are staying, right? So any suggestions for $200/night? Close to EVERYTHING?
Jun 24th, 2012, 03:14 AM

I doubt you will see everything but the HOHO bus is a good way to start....I know most will disagree but I took the HOHO bus last year and it gave me a good overview of the city.
Jun 24th, 2012, 03:15 AM

NYC has many attractions so no hotel is close to everything. Consider one midtown or close to a subway.
Bus tours give you an overview; not in-depth. You might list what appeals to you so folks can give you further info.
Jun 24th, 2012, 05:40 AM

The easiest and cheapest way from JFK to Manhattan is the Airtrain to the subway.

The HOHO is about $45 which will buy a lot of buses, subways, and taxis.
Jun 24th, 2012, 06:37 AM

IMHO the HoHo bus is a waste of time and money. The price is enormous for just being driven aroundn in traffic and sweltering in the sun (you can see only from the open top of hte bus). And i fyou get off to actually see anything the buses only run every 30 miutes (versus every 5 minutes or so for subway and local bus) and the next ne may be full when it gets there. Much better to pick out what YOU actually want to see and do - and just go an do it. As for an overview I reco Top of the Rock - besides reat views it gives a borad picture of the location of various areas (but you need to study you maps first to know what you want to look for).

If you want neighborhood there are walking tours that provide a much better experience. And if you are interested in an overview try to sign up for a tour with a Big Apple Greeter. These are volunteers who will show you their part of the city - or one section you really want to see - and explain how to work the transit system.

As for a hotel - how many of you are there and when are you coming? $200 is a very modest budget for NYC (except in Jan or Feb) and you will need to scour the discount sights to find something. Besides the basics - clean and private facilities - what it most important is proximity to the subway - which is really the most efficient way to get around for longer distances (use feet for shorter). And since major sights are spread out all over Manhattan no one area is really best (except midtown west if you are coming primarily to go to the theater).

There are numerous ways to get from JFK into the city. Which is best depends on 1) how many of you there are, 2) how much luggage you have and 3) how capable/willing yuo are to schlep the luggage up and down a couple of flights of stairs. Hotel location can be a factor - but less so. Airtrain/subway is cheapest at about $7.50 a person, Air Train/Long Island Railroad is abuot $12.50 per person but them you have to take subway or cab to your hotel. Airport bus is about $18 per person I beleive, but again you then have to take subway of cab to your hotel unless it's right near one of the 3 drop off points. Whatever you do, do NOT take Super Shuttle which is extremely time-comsuming and very unrelaible in NY (sometimes driving people around in traffic for more than an hour - or causing them to miss flights on trips back to the airport).

And you can;t see everything in a week -but you can see ahuge amount. Get out your gujide books, a good street map and a good subway map and begin plotting.
Jun 26th, 2012, 10:27 AM

The Hilton in NY is $189, Radisson is $129, Double Tree by Hilton is $119 (http://www.expedia.com/New-York-Hote...l-Guide-Hotels) from what I have found.

I agree with the bus tours, it is just so crowded and I think that you would see a lot more great thing on foot and on the subway. Here are some great things to see when you are in NYC:

1) a broadway musical - incredible
2) walk the Brooklyn Bridge
3) go to the top (or at least inside) the Empire State Building
4) Take the ferry to walk inside the Statue of Liberty and see Ellis Island
5) China Town
6) see the lights of NY on the water (beautiful)
7) Central Park
8) Go tour Yankee stadium or see a game
9) See some of the 9/11 sites
10) MoMa (Museum of Modern Art)

I know there are so many more, these were ones that I first thought of
Jun 26th, 2012, 10:37 AM

The list VR Travel made is a good one (there's plenty more to add, but it's a good start), but those hotel rates are non-existent. I checked the Doubletree in August and in January and the cheapest rate is $139 at the end of January, prepaid, plus tax (which adds another $24 per night, for a total of $163)
Jun 26th, 2012, 10:40 AM

I too was wondering about the rates VRTravel posted. Those rates seem way too low for almost any time of the year, but without knowing when the OP is coming, the numbers are meaningless anyway
Jun 26th, 2012, 02:31 PM

quikbook has amazing discounted rates advertised right now for stays this weekend and they're not even the Secret Sale hotel prices. I think there are some great bargains to be had out there.
Jun 26th, 2012, 03:57 PM

I'd put three previously unmentioned sites at the top of the must-see list:
*Top of the Rock
*The High Line
*Metropolitan Museum of Art
Jun 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM

I love TOTR and the Met but the charms of the High Line are just lost on me. What do people 'like' about it? I know that many do.
Jun 26th, 2012, 07:39 PM

but the charms of the High Line are just lost on me. What do people 'like' about it? I know that many do.
_____

Although I grew up in an apartment house and now live in one again, the view from the High Line is freer. The angles, colors, perspectives, shapes, and the entire vista are intriguing. There is stadium seating at about 18th Street with a view of 10th Ave. It is odd how the eye and brain focus when something moving is framed in a box.

A hotel was built over the High Line and when it was first opened people left the curtains open intentionally for the viewing pleasure of passers-by. The hotel did not want to get the reputation as an expensive hot sheet hotel and stopped that.

They are building a new 250,000 sq ft Whitney Museum at the entrance of Gansevoort Street. The High Line has created life in an area that was once dormant.
Jun 26th, 2012, 07:53 PM

My compliments, Aduchamp1. Your first paragraph does a great job in describing the joys the pleasures, the enchantment of the High Line.
Jun 26th, 2012, 08:16 PM

OK, Adu. Perhaps I should visit the Highline again. It just didn't have that effect on me. I'll keep your description in mind as I walk. Other than heading in the direction of the stadium seating, is the effect more obvious while walking from a particular direction?
Jun 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM

Thank you Howard. (Maybe that description will get me a free Fodor's guidebook next year.)

Bowspirit, if the spirit does not move you, then it does not move you. It is not an intellectual reaction but a visceral one. It is like any art, if someone does not like a piece, you can try and give your interpretation and impart whatever you know about the work and that still might not be sufficient.

So you can try again, you philistine. (Insert smiley philistine face.)
Jun 26th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Adu: Honestly, when I walked the Highline I didn't look beyond the actual structure. I saw it as a crowded walkway or boardwalk lined with colorless beach grasses. And I couldn't find an empty lounge chair. I didn't see much beyond its construction, I'm afraid.

I missed the point, obviously. I will try again. I may not have a visceral reaction but perhaps I can appreciate the place for what it was meant to be.

Now, put me at the high water mark at a Cape Cod beach and I become Johnathan Livingston. That's an experience I can wrap my breath around.
Jun 26th, 2012, 09:22 PM

I hope you will enjoy your next stroll there.
Jun 27th, 2012, 06:34 AM

Thanks, Aduchamp.
Jun 27th, 2012, 07:14 AM

Reflecting on Aduchamp1's comments, I'll add to the aetthetic angle of the experience: I feel you are looking at New York from a totally different perspective than you are when at ground level, and I felt it was something unique and, in its own way, fascinating......and, in a way, hard to describe to someone else.
Jun 27th, 2012, 09:15 AM

I am one of those who is awed by the High Line - from concept to execution. I love the views, I love the "colorless beach grasses" and the fact that the foliage is so different from one section to the next, I love all the little seating areas (including the stadium seating) and the people-watching possibilities (and I do NOT mean those at the Standard ), I love the various pieces of outdoor art, I even love that it's crowded, because all those people are enjoying it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO