NYC Tour Company?

Aug 21st, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

NYC Tour Company?

In a couple of days, my 17 yr old son and I, (his mom) want to do a fun, all inclusive tour of Manhattan. It doesn't have to be cheap, but I want it to be fun and interactive; maybe 4 hours long or so.

Would you mind recommending a tour company that stands out for fun/service/informative? Also, do you recommend a certain cruise-tour line?

Thanks in advance. I really want this to be enjoyable for him.
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM

We did the Circle Line Harbor Lights Cruise and we really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it in a second.
Aug 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM

kingofnyc.com is a full day tour.

Here's a 4hr limo tour but I don't know anyone who's taken it.
http://www.limotours.com/50.htm

For a cruise, it depends on how long you want to go for. Circle Line is the most well known and they have a few different options including the harbor lights already mentioned. The Beast is a fun short one that a 17 yr old might like. It's only 30 mins.
http://www.sightseeingworld.com/A/to...y&TourCode=328

Depending on when you're coming, you could also use the NY water taxi for a hop on/off tour.
nywatertaxi.com
Aug 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM

Have you considered the Greenwich Village Food Tour? It isn't a tour of Manhattan, but it is a lot of fun. The website is http://www.foodsofny.com/ our tour lasted a little over 3 hours, we had more than plenty to eat (didn't need lunch!) and Todd our tour leader was fantastic! He was very knowledgeable, outgoing and friendly. There were 16 people in our group from the US and some from England, ages ranged from about 15 to around 70. Everyone had a good time, and I would take the tour again.
Aug 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried to get time to research, but I've been working 24/7 and haven't gotten the time.

Circle line sounds good. I'd really like to find a fun bus tour in addition to that.

I really appreciate the help and recommendations.

Aug 21st, 2006, 10:03 PM

Here's another HUGE recommendation for the Circle Line Harbor Lights cruise. Goes VERY close to the Statue of Liberty on the way out and again on the way back. The Circle Line "all around the island tour" is very nice also.

The two-day hop on/hop off double deckers are fantastic if the weather is pleasant. Views from seats on the open air upper deck are magnificent. Most of the guides are informative and hilarious. If you get a dud (such as one who talks more about gratuities and holds up each stop...), just get off and catch the next one. These are the very best way to enjoy the scenery, neighborhoods, and those very tall buildings.

I also highly recommend the food tours - Greenwich Village and also Chelsea Market.

You can take a look at the Grayline website for their offerings. We did the "Movie" tour and it was okay. But, I would avoid the huge enclosed tour bus tours, as you are cooped up on a huge bus for the duration with limited views...
Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:12 AM

Here's the Circle Line website:
http://www.circleline42.com/index.ih...ge=sightseeing

I also recommend the Village food walking tour.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Wow. I can't believe how popular the food tours are. I'm going to try to sell my son on that.

I found info on the NY Party Shuttle Tour. Since we'll have 4 or 5 hours, it sounded just right; as well as fun and informative. Is there something I don't know? I think 5 hours is the max we would have or my son would enjoy. Learning, laughing, and taking it easy a little are the goals. (I'm exhuasted!)

Circle Line; I'm in!!

Hey, can I just say that ya'll are wonderful? If I can return the favor by supplying information on Eastern Long Island, (esp Shelter Island/Sag Harbor) I'd be happy to oblige.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:13 AM

I'm sitting not far from you right now. Hope you've made it to Sunset Beach for lunch.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

It's my last day here, I'm thinking about splurging and going to Rams Head Inn. I NEED a vacation!! Been working all summer on our house here on Shelter Island. I'm looking forward to clocking out! However, now I'm stressed because I just got a minute this morning to research the hotel I got via Priceline: Grand Hyatt on 42nd. Trip Advisor has some REALLY REALLY bad reviews. I called to request 2 doubles and they said their "rooms for bid" are single queens only and that they don't supply roll-a-ways to those rooms. Wuh. I'm just going to try to get there REALLY early in the afternoon and be really really nice and perhaps tip someone handsomely. I think I've learned that Priceline is not the way to go if you need to count on getting a nice room/experience.

If anyone has suggestions on how to remedy this; I'd love to hear it. I'm ready to grease palms or do anything it takes.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:36 AM

The NY Party Shuttle is a good option although I'm not sure it would be "fun" and it's 5 1/2 hrs. I've heard the guy who does Marvelous Manhattan (website kingofnyc) has a big personality and for an extra hour, I think it might be more "fun."

Another fun walking tour is the Greenwich Village literary pub crawl, led by actors.
http://www.bakerloo.org/pubcrawl/index.htm
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Laurie. Fun is definitely a BIG priority. I pictured a full day as 8 hours...so it seemed too long. I'll look into that. With a 17 year old, fun is always a plus!!