Reload this Page >

a quick question about "Globus"???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:03 PM
buzz

I've been told about a great tour company, perhaps out of Canada, called Globus. Web searches have turned up nothing which means that I am misspelling the name, or it is incomplete, or maybe they're out of business now. Anyone heard of a Canadian company that books European tours with a moniker something like GLOBUS?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:09 PM
c

Here's the website that you're looking for: www.globusandcosmos.com

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Tommy

Get real.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Richard

My wife and I went on a Globus tour through France and Switzerland two summers ago. I would never do it again, but I would probably never do another guided tour of any kind again. First of all they threw us together with perhaps the most non-homogenous group imaginable. We spoke different languages and had very different tastes and MANNERS. This is probably not unique to Globus. <BR><BR>The worst thing about the Globus tour was the accomodations. Most of the rooms were so small that two of us could barely move around. None of them were air-conditioned and it turned out to be one of the hottest Junes on record. <BR><BR>The best thing about the tour was the overall efficiency of being where they said they would be and sticking to the prescribed schedule. From that standpoint that had things down very well. Very efficient. <BR><BR>Since this is the only guided tour I have been on it is impossible for me to compare with others, but the old adage of "you get what you pay for" would certainly seem to ring true in the case of tour companies.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:41 PM
buzz

Thanks for the info…I’ve traveled fairly extensively and have never taken a group tour. I’ve been warned for years against them so it’s probably silly of me to consider it.<BR><BR>I was told that Globus was very reasonably priced and that the tours were most efficient. My plan is/was to use a company like this to make a foray into countries I might not go alone, decide what I like and return later on my own. I’ve had good luck with this approach when visiting large cities both abroad and at home. On a recent trip to NYC, my first, I took a bus tour on the day of arrival. My friends thought it was a cheesy thing to do but in four hours I had an excellent mental picture of where I was and of places I wanted to go to. I spent the remainder of my trip doing just that. Midway through I took another tour on another line and picked up several special places I would otherwise have missed.<BR><BR>The same has been true of trips to Edinburg, London, etc.<BR><BR>Seems to me that if I can get a good price and good information it would amount to something like a test-run to lay out a bigger plan for another day…<BR><BR>Thanks again for the info.<BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Henry

Buzz,my wife & I used Globus on our first trip to Europe,several years ago.It was a week in London.I thought the hotel was OK and the Globus rep was very helpful.I thought they provided good value for the price.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Cosmo

ttt

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Richard

You know, that's exactly the reason I decided to take a guided tour. I always plan my own trips and usually enjoy that more than the trip itself. But I was unsure of how hard it was to get around in Europe and how bad the language barrier would be. I thought a tour would be a good way to find out. <BR><BR>It served the purpose. I know now that I could easily drive in Europe and the language issue is not a problem. Problem is, the tour was so unpleaant I'm afraind it is going to take me several years to want to go back over to Europe.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Jennifer

I've been on two Globus tours (The Best of Southern England and A Taste of Europe). I was impressed with the quality of the knowledge of the tour directors. There were issues with some of the hotels where we stayed, but the reasonable cost of the tour package reflects the quality of accomodations. Rooms were clean and comfortable. I would travel with Globus again. The benefits are: having a knowledgeable director, no line ups for major attractions (because of pre-paid admissions) and saving time finding your own way around. I also enjoyed meeting people on the bus from around the world.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Mia

We took our first group tour last year with Globus.It was wonderful and we are getting ready to take another.We had excellent hotels,a great host and driver,reasonably priced options,and no line to wait in when you arrived at a museum,castle,etc.Also,no driving and no parking worries. You are driven right to the place you want to go.It's a good value.

Old May 14th, 2002, 04:02 PM
carmenr

I know this is a thread about Globus but I have to speak up for another tour company which was wonderful: Trafalgar Tours. We did an 8-day Rome Florence, Venice tour a few years ago with our two college age children. It was superb! Price was extremely reasonable and our tour guide, bus, and accomodations were just great. I would do a another European tour any day.<BR>

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Harry

For my first trip to Europe last year I took a Globus tour to Germany, Austria,<BR>Switzerland and Northern Italy. It was great! Loved every minute of it. This year I'm taking a Trafalgar tour to England. I hope it is on par with Globus.