Oahu accomodation suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I am in the process of planning a family trip to Hawaii in January 2007 for my parents' 30th wedding anniversary. We are taking a weeklong cruise around the islands, but have tacked on a few days at the front end to spend in Oahu.

I am looking for accomodations for these couple of days. Here's what I need:

1. Three rooms for 2-3 nights in January (most of the vacation rental properties won't allow a short rental period like this so we're stuck with inns or hotels I think)

2. Somewhere not too crowded and not a high-rise complex in Honolulu if possible.

3. We want to see the typical attractions (Pearl Harbor, Lanikai Beach, Hanauma Bay). Maybe something in Diamond Head or even the North Shore since we will probably rent a car?

4. Moderately priced.

Please send suggestions of places you enjoyed that fit these criteria.

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Vrbo.com for rentals.Hotels that are moderately priced outside of Honolulu; Turtle bay on the North Shore but that will mean a 40 minute drive into Pearl Harbor. You could skip Hanama bay and Lanikai and still be happy on the North Shore though, plenty of snorkeling out there, plenty of less touristed beaches.

Lanikai is more of beach for people living in the community, not that you can't visit but there is a lot of beach erosion. I like to take walks on beaches, not a lot of room for that.

Don't forget Byodo Temple on the windward side though. Your parents will love that, great grounds, interesting structure. What abut Iolani Palace? This is a standard visit for anyone exploring island history. Sorry can't imagine anyone skipping this on any trip onto Oahu. Just my take though.

I would have sent you to the Ilikai, most hotel rooms have kitchens. It sits right on the north edge of Waikiki allowing for easy access in and out. Yeah its not going to be the outer island bliss or even rural tranquility you may associate with Hawaii but you are not sandwhiched in the way you are further in Waikiki. There are also very affordable beach front rooms. See about State and Federal employee discounts. You don't want Honolulu though, looking at your post.

A Honolulu stay would provide quick access over the Pali and into Lanikai and my favorite, WAIMANALO BEACH PARK!!!(look up images under yahoo or google image tab).

Just one word from looking at your itinerary, might want to rethink Hanama Bay and Pearl Harbor in a 3 day trip. Both visits would require long lines in the sun. Just my thoughts I am sure you have a wonderful time whatever you decide. I am a frequent visitor to Hawaii and this is just my thinking.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Ilikia is Ocean front not beachfront there is a difference in terms of walking straight out to beach.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:30 AM

If anyone in your party is military related, I would strongly suggest you consider the Hale Koa at Ft. DeRussey.
Wonderful place, right next to HHV and can save a bundle!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Which cruise line will you be on?

Are you comfortable staying in places that are nowhere near tourist spots? There's a B&B called Manoa Valley Inn, which is near the university and tucked away from the hustle & bustle of Waikiki.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:07 AM

The north shore is a long drive from the south shore, it took us around two hours but is really lovely and quiet.

Try this site -
http://www.cyberrentals.com/USA/Hawaii/Oahu/r245.htm

If you click on the red search button you can search for dates available

We went over a holiday and were able to find an oceanfront cottage on the north shore for 4 days. We found that many owners were willing to rent if you were staying 3 or more nights.

The north shore cottages are quaint and not as luxurious as what you'll find on the south part of Oahu but it was worth it - we were able to walk out the door across the patio and onto the sand.

Have a great trip!