NYC Theater tickets

Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

NYC Theater tickets

My two children and I will be heading to NYC in June and we would like to see at least 3 plays. I am looking to purchase tickets directly. Is Broadway.com the direct site? I know for San Francisco it is SHN.com. Thank you so much!
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 12:02 PM

Yes, that's good site, but you'll probably have to wait a little while for June offers.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 02:12 PM

It's not "the direct site", which is usually Telecharge. There is some variation by theater and a few have their own sales link function. It's a website that advertises tickets and is useful for seeing all shows offered. I think they have some discounted seats, at times. But it is not the direct site buying from the theater. As I said, most theaters have a deal with Telecharge for their tickets, or maybe Ticketmaster.

I don't know of anything wrong with broadway.com, but if you aren't getting a discount, I wouldn't buy from them rather than the official vendor. I don't know that they even have all the same seats and sometimes I htink they mark them up over what the theater charges.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 03:43 PM

Christina's comments and my previous one need some clarifications. To get tickets full price, yes, you use Ticketmaster or Telecharge. For discount tickets, you use Broadwaybox.com. When I said you'll probably have to wait a little while, I was referring to discount offers. If you want to get full-price tickets, you definitely start the process now, especially if you're interested in the big shows (i.e., the ones that sell out regularly)/
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 05:56 PM

Broadway.com is ONE site which sells tickets over the internet and is not the only one.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Howard. So is there not an official site for most or all theaters? So used to SF where there is one direct sells site for most of the theaters. There is actually limited tickets on the broadway.com.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina! I will check out Telecharge.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

We are looking at the big shows, Lion King, The Book of Mormon,Anastasia, Mean Girls and surprisingly my 17 and 20 yr olds want to see To Kill a Mockingbird. This list is much longer, but the pocket book is not that deep.We are spoiled, my mom and sister have season tickets in SF, saw Hamilton for $110 center stage, isle seats row 12 and 13 for $110. To Kill a Mockingbird balcony side is $90, Lion King is $183. I have heard to wait until the day of and wish for the best, we are only there 6 days so want to at least book a could in advance. We would go everyday if we could afford it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Dukey. Any recommendations for other sites? Or going about getting tickets?
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 06:18 AM

Definitely order now for The Book of Mormon, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Lion King. These shows sell out and you'll have little or no chance for tickets if you wait too long. For Anastasia and The Mean Girls, there is a good chance that discount tickets will be available.
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 06:24 AM

Let's clear up one thing about the websites. There two different ones--broadway.com and broadwaybox.,com. From my experience, broadwaybox.com definitely provides more discount offer opportunities.
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 07:05 AM

Ooops! Sorry for the typo. Obviously, that second website should be broadwaybox.com.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Howard! I will take a look at broadwaybox.com today. Trying to budget, pay not and later and see as many as we can.

Thank you to all of you! You all have been so wonderful!
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 10:15 AM

As I said before, it is too early to check on June discounts. They'll be posted in March of April.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 06:03 AM

You can cross Anastasia off your list. It's closing in March.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 06:27 PM

For hit shows you should buy tickets right now from the official seller which is either ticketmaster or telecharge. (If you go to playbill.com it indicated the official seller).

If you are interested in getting a discount on older/less popular shows wait until about 30 days out and look for tickets at broadway.com or playbill.com, get the discount code and go to the web site they indicate (TM or TC). Do not use any random sites, which may charge large fees or have fake tickets. Buying discount tickets is better than waiting and buying at TKTs - when you will have a much smaller selection of tickets and often only the most expensive tickets.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 07:41 PM

FYI, "My Fair Lady" will still be playing in June.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! That was my thought for Loin King and Mockingbird. I have found tickets on Broadway.com for $183, seats very close on Telecharge are $202. Is it worth the extra $60 with Telecharge, with Broadway.com having such a good reputation? It's killing me because I want to go see Cats in Sacramento too. Too many good plays and musicals!
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

I saw that! Bummed about that one
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will let the kids know

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO