Reload this Page >

NYC Stanhope and Grand Central Hyatt

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Patricia

Hello all, I am booked into the Grand Central Hyatt for 8 nights mid-June - booked through Priceline for $90 a night. I have read the reviews and they seem mostly positive but certainly mixed. I have already called ahead and requested a non-smoking double and gave them my brand new never used gold passport number.

I was wondering about strategies for getting an upgrade. In particular - is it possible at check-in to ask to be upgraded to the Stanhope? Is this recommended? Is the area of the Stanhope safer than Grand Central? - we are two females that plan on spending lots of nights on the town - and want to feel safer.

If that is not an option - what are some strategies for getting an upgrade to a nicer room, etc.

Thanks, Patricia

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Anthony

Your question doesn't make sense.
The Grand Hyatt's location is a fine location, very safe, and convienient to all areas. With regard to an upgrade at that hotel, just ask nicely when you check-in. I usually ask " Can you give me any complementary roomupgrades?". Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't.
As to your other question - The Stanhope is a totally different hotel. If you don't have a reservation there, how can you upgraed to that hotel? That question applies whether you used Priceline or reserved directly with the hotel. Even though it's part of the same hotel chain, hotels don't switch you from 1 hotel to another - UNLESS they are overbooked.

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:24 AM
xx

You can't ask to be upgraded to a different hotel property even if it's the same chain. Well MAYBE if you complained hard enough about bad rooms AND the hotel was full then they will consider sending you to a sister property but that's rare and certainly doesn't even apply to your situation since you want the upgrade before even checking in.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Hal

Patricia, forget the Stanhope. Will never happen.

You're stuck with the Grand Hyatt, which is one of my least favorite NYC hotels. That's the risk of Priceline! You did get a great rate, though, so it's a fine hotel for that much money.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Anthony

Patricia:
Don't worry about your hotel - you paid a great rate for the summer season. You have other travelers paying over $100/nt for budget hotels like The Ramada New Yorker, Hotel Pennsylvannia, and other budget places. No, The Grand Hyatt is not the Ritz Carlton, but you're not paying $300/nt either! Some people obsess too much over the hotel they stay at - NYC is not Cancun, where the hotel facilities makes that much difference. You are here to enjoy what's OUTSIDE of your hotel - so enjoy the city and you'll have a nice place to restup for the next day.