Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC Hotel walking dist to Grand Central Station and...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help with a hotel that is within walking distance to Grand Central Station (for a 7AM train on a Sat) but also close to shopping and dinner for that Friday evening with my daugter. Would prefer a Starwood Hotel first, then a Hilton Family hotel next or a great other hotel.
Thanks a bunch!!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:02 AM

the only one i can think of offhand is the Grand Hyatt.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:19 AM
MHS

Quicbook has a map on its site -- you can position hotels in reference to Grand Central.
http://www.quikbook.com/10009.asp
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Just returned from NYC, stayed at The Roosevelt Hotel which is less than 2 blocks from Grand Central!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:33 AM

If you want a Starwood hotel, the W is 5 blocks from Grand Central. There are quite a few things to do in the area.

The only drawback is that rooms are REALLY small.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Previous poster is correct. The Grand Hyatt is only a half block from Grand Central.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Forgot to say, the W is 5 SHORT (i.e. street) blocks from Grand Central.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:56 PM
gc

Grand Hyatt is attached to Grand Central. I've heard there is construction pending or in progress, though.

Like Jean_Valjean said, the W rooms are small, but if you like to brush your teeth while you're still in bed, it's quite nice...8^)
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Well, I guess it could be convenient to brush your teeth while in bed! Joking aside, I would not prefer a small room. So, putting aside the Starwood Hotel requirement and not the Grand Hyatt (I've seen mixed reviews) are there any other recommendations? I'm looking for something convenient the Grand Central in the AM but want close to fun, funky shopping for Friday Afternoon and dinner Friday eve.
Thanks a bunch to all for the help!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:56 PM

We have stayed at the Library hotel which is about a block away. It includes a breakfast and drinks on the roof top. (weeekend rate there $179) A nice hotel. Small rooms but we were not in the room all that much.
We have also stayed at the Sofitel which is about 4 -5 blocks away. There is a good rate now for the weekend ($153) and we plan to stay there again this month. Rates are through Quikbook which we have used before.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:04 PM

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt last week for $85 a night through Priceline. I read some negative reviews as well but decided to risk it. Our room was not as luxurious as you would expect from a *Grand* Hyatt, but I think it was pretty nice and well worth the price I paid. There was no mold in the bathroom or stained wallpaper or carpet as some had claimed. As advised I joined their "Rewards" club online before leaving and asked for a high floor. I did not see or hear of any construction at all last week although hotel-wide renovations are planned in the future.
It was a quick dart across the street to Grand Central, where hopping on a train to the Yankees game could not have been easier.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM
GoTravel

Keep in mind that you can stay many places that are a quick train ride or cab fare to GCT. Times Square being one. You can just hop on the shuttle and are across town in a couple of minutes.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:24 PM

The Roosevelt is very convienent and probably less expensive than the Hyatt. Do a search on this site for Roosevelt, we've discussed it quite a bit.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Besides the Roosevelt you might want to check the Fitzpatrick Grand Central. It's a nice, small Irish-owned hotel.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:56 PM

I know the Marriott East Side is convenient to shopping and Grand Central Station, and when we stayed there last year, it had the MOST comfortable beds. I must say, a location that I haven't stayed at, but intrigues me, is the Library, which I noticed posted on a previous response. I saw it on a special program on ususual hotel rooms and it appealed to me.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:11 PM
esg

Consider Waldorf Astoria. On Park Avenue about 6 short blocks from Grand Central. Is a Hilton Hotel. We recently stayed on weekend for about $220/night.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch everyone! I will look into all of these suggestions.
This site is always a big help.

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Another vote for the Fitzpatrick Grand Central (be sure you book this one and not their other hotel which is near 57th street). It is located at 44th and Lexington -- directly across the street from an entrance to Grand Central. It is a lovely Irish hotel with very nice rooms, good service, tea in the lobby and a good pub with limited food service. We put up our out-of-town guests for our wedding there and they all enjoyed it.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:19 AM

The New York Helmsley is located on 42nd St. off Third Ave. A block from Grand Central. 212 E. 42 St.

Check out the Helmsley Hotel website.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:04 AM

It's silly not to stay at a Starwood property if you're collecting points. I agree the W near GC is not a good option but there are 3 other Starwood properties in walking distance of Grand Central- The W Tuscany and the W Court are both on 39th between Lex & Park-3 1/2 blocks from GC. The Sheraton Russell is on Park & 37th-6 blocks from GC. Try looking on tripadvisor.com for reviews. These were all nice hotels before Starwood took them over so they should be fine.

There is no "funky" shopping in the area though. It's a pretty straight laced business neighborhood. Your daughter will like H&M for clothes. They have a location at 5th & 50th st. Lord & Taylor (dept store) is on 5th & 39th so near those hotels but more traditional. Across from L & T is an inexpensive but fun shoe store called Parade.

Your other option is to stay at the W Union Square which is a funkier neighborhood & cab to the train station.