Search

NYC Sheraton towers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Sheraton towers

Arrived in the city yesterday. Asked for and received room upgrade. Yay! First thing we did was walk the short distance to Central Park. Weather perfect. Stopped in Petrossian.com bakery and picked up au pain du chocolat to eat in the park.

We really got a deal on this hotel through hotwire but I'm glad weRe not paying too much because of a few minor irritants. The cable tv offers only one news channel - FOX. the remaining channels are reruns, sports and old movies. WIFI is $15/ day for one device so dh and I take turns using our devices. And the bar has a dreadful wine by the glass list. These are minor inconveniences but this hotel considers itself premier. I give it great marks on the room and cleanliness. Very comfortable.

I have a serious fear of heights and didn't consider that when ordering tickets for A Night with Janis Joplin. Oh boy! The balcony is a fright! Got to my seat but sat there a while getting more clammy and dizzy. Husband demands we leave before something bad happens. The kind aisle monitor said she understood and directed us to the manager. She found us seats that worked. Box seats!! I have the kindest thoughts for the staff at the Lyceum Theater!

The understudy performed the show, as happens for Wedns and Sat matinees, and she was darn good! Towards the middle of the first act she really began to belt out the songs. We enjoyed the show.

Off to dinner. Will report on that later
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 04:21 PM

The hotel may consider itself premier - but it's really a 3* in disguise IMHO. As long as you got a great deal.

I wouldn;t touch with a barge pole (have been for a couple of events and it was awful).
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM

MarySteve: was this a blind buy on Hotwire, or an identified hotel? If it was unidentified, can you tell me what star level, approval rating, and area it was offered as?
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Tuscan, blind, a four star on hotwire. I'd stay here again for a good price; $200 or less
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

NYTraveller, my biggest factor is no bedbugs and location. This meets both criteria! We're close to everything. Walked to Rock Center yesterday. The tree is up but not decorated yet. Enjoyed watching the skaters. Times Sq was a madhouse I suppose more so because of this gorgeous weather.

But the best thing about this hotel is the Gourmet Market next door. Expansive cold and hot buffets as well as made to order sandwiches, paninies, eggs, etc. we've had both lunch and breakfast ( $6.99), sitting at their lomg communal tables. Excellent salads and fruit selections.

We had dinner at Bottega del Vino, 7 E 59th. Wow! It deserves praise. They have a full page white truffle menu with appetizers starting at $90! Entres were $190, it's truffle season. We resisted lol. I opted for sea bass with olives, capers and it was a beautiful piece of fish cooked precisely $40. Dh had veal in four mushrooms sauce and said it was best veal he's ever had. Our waiter was great, knowing just when to appear , never hovering. He recommended a great Italian dry white wine for $110. I highly recommend!