Search

NYC- Questions/Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC- Questions/Help

Planning a family vacation in Mid-June. 1) My 15 year old nephew will have in his birthday while we are there. Any casual place to eat in mid-town area that would appeal to a 15 year old? 2) Any good guitar stores in the same area? 3) Are there cabs available to take 5 people or will we mostly have to take two? 4) We will be there on June 19th. The Olympic torch will be there. Any way to know where it will go and at what times? Would like to see it but also would like to avoid it while sightseeing ( they may stop traffic). Thank you for the help!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:37 PM

(1) the restaurant depends on his tastes and the type of restaurant you're going for.. for the touristy stuff, there's hard rock and espnzone and a few theme-restaurants, altho 15 is probably too old to be into most of them

(2) all along 48th street between 6th & 7th ave is a stretch known as 'guitar row,' all music shops, including a very large sam ash. there's also a new Guitar Center on 14th st between 5th ave & 6th ave

(3) most cabs can accomodate 4 adults (3 in back, 1 in front), there are van types here and there, but you may want to consider just making use of the subway system.

(4) i don't believe the route has been made public yet, you should check in with http://www.nyc.gov a couple of days prior. Manhattan is incredibly small and it really shouldn't take you much more than 30 mins to get from any point to another on the island, so it shouldn't be a problem planning around it.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:03 AM

By law cabs are allowed to take only 4 passengers - even the mini-van type ones - unless the fifth passenger is an infant/tiny child to be held on an adults lap.

So you will need to do 2 cabs - but why not simply take the subway or bus?
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:34 AM
emd

The subway is very easy to navigate. The first time you use it, the employee in the kiosk at the station will give you a great map. It is $2 for each trip, but you can buy passes that allow you more travel for less (I think we go tone last weekend that was 6 trips for the price of 5, and there are also other money-saving ones). Your hotel can help you w/what subweay stops are near your destiantions, or you can figure it out before you go or when you get there. Don't be afraid of the subway, it is a good safe system- we used it every day we were there.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:54 AM

I agree with the others...you will save yourself a ton of money if you rely on the subway system. Contrary to popular belief, the Subway is a safe form of transit, and this is coming from a woman who travels alone on the Subway! The subway is extremely easy to navigate, and part of the NYC experience!

As for places to eat, I suggest you don't do it in Times Square. It is mostly just mediocre chain restaurants and tourist traps. There are much better quality restaurants that are cheaper outside of that area. Check out Restaurant Row for an array of different places. Just walk along and peruse menus. Also, in the Theater District, Becco offers a very reasonable pris fixe menu of Italian fare.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:44 PM

1) ESPN Zone east side of Broadway between 42nd and 43rd Street should be great for a 15 year old. Very casual but don't try to take in a video camera - I tried that last week - it's a no-no. Regular photo cameras are ok.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Friend,

Everyone on here has given great advice, but here is one thing to think about. I don't know what kind of traveler you are, but I know alot of people who come to the city for the first time, take the subway and are very turned off by it. Contrary to what most New Yorkers believe, I think to many people from other parts of the country, it's too dirty and grimy. I know it's a "New York City" thing, but there is something to be said for cabbing it. Along those lines, if you have the money to take cabs, I would suggest a couple of things. First, any hotel worth it's salt will have car services that the concierge can call for you. What many people don't realize, is that for many trips IN the city, car services are actually sometimes cheaper than cabs, although you have to wait a little longer. This also solves the 5 people thing, as a car service can send a car that will fit all of you comfortably. Also, car services are the BEST way to get to the airport if you have to choose. Consider this. Even if you buy each of your family a week-long metrocard pass for the subway, with the installation of the airtrain, it will still be $25 dollars to get to the airport because it's $5 each for the new airtrain (second biggest rip-off ever, after the increase in the week-long metrocard). You can get a car from a midtown hotel for around $30-$35 dollars, you get a much more comfortable ride, without all the hauling, and if you have kids, that is priceless.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your replies and help. We will definately be going on the subways but there are a couple of times that a quick cab ride work out best. The guitar question was for him so maybe the Hard Rock will be the place to go, ESPN Zone would work too.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:49 AM

pleasegodnotme-the reason New Yorkers rave about the subway is for the speed, not for the looks! We know the subway is grubby and grimy. But, if you are trying to get anywhere in the city and have to pass through midtown during the hours of 8 AM and 7 PM, the fastest way is the subway. You may think a cab is not much more for a family of 4 if you are just going from your hotel on 30th St. to Times Square, but the meter keeps right on ticking for the 20 minutes you are stranded in bumper to bumper traffic on 6th Avenue.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:21 AM

i honestly don't believe the subway is all that bad relatively speaking (there are much dirtier streets above ground). some stations are less than desirable, but a lot of trains are at least sweeped at end points.

unfortunately, it's everyone's responsibility in terms of keeping the trains clean since it's certain people that litter it up, but for the most part, i believe new yorkers are quite good about cleaning up after themselves and sometimes others.

in terms of its speed, extensiveness and reliability (although it may not seem like it at times), it's definitely one of the best systems out there, even with its faults.

but yes, cabs are generally cleaner and more expensive and subject to traffic woes. but a stretch hummer is even cleaner than that.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Unless you buy metrocard passes, it will cost $10 every time this family of 5 gets onto a subway or bus. Gives you pause about the taxi cost.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:20 AM

it would cost $5 for 2 taxis just to get inside them each time, plus the meter x 2.

plus when you put $10 or more on a card, you get an additional 20% added
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Definitely plan to go to Stardust Diner - fun place to eat with a family (on Broadway at 51st - just north of Times Square, Midtown in Theater District)

Decor is like a 50's diner, menu has burgers, ribs, sandwiches, chicken, salads, etc.

Best part was the singing waiters who interact with the 'audience' and are fun, lively, and really talented!

Fun time, not too expensive and good food.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:12 AM

just thought i'd add this as i found it while looking up something else:

TLC Driver Rule 2-43a allows up to 4 passengers by law, but a 5th passenger can be added IF the passenger is under the age of 7 and must sit on the lap of an adult passenger