Christmas trip to NYC

Old Nov 15th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas trip to NYC

In 4 weeks me, my daughter & my best friend will be spending 5 days in NYC. I have a lot of questions, but right now my main concern is safety. How safe will we be walking at night. For instance, walking from a Broadway Theater to a restaurant around the corner.

Also, we are planning to visit the Arthur Ave. area of the Bronx (during the day). We are planning to take the subway, but after getting off the subway, how far will we have to walk to get to this area?

Last edited by sweetthing38; Nov 15th, 2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 10:18 PM

Manhattan is very safe. There will be plenty of people around, especially if you just got out of a play. Iíd personally want either reservations, or a place further away from the theater. Probably crowded.

canít tell you the other, but you could just google map that.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 06:16 AM

Arthur Avenue is not particularly close to a subway stop.

My friend who grew up in the area would take the 2 or 5 subway to 3Av-149th and then transfer to the Third Avenue bus (Bx15), which stopped very close to Arthur Ave, but that bus can be a long ride and would not be walkable.

The B or D subway to Fordham Road is about the closest subway stop. It is a mile from Arthur Avenue, so about a 20-minute walk. You could take one of the bus options from the subway along Fordham Road to reach Arthur Avenue.

There are many combinations of subway plus bus with different amounts of walking.

For me this would be the best option: MetroNorth has a train from Grand Central Terminal that stops at Fordham Road, much closer to Arthur Avenue than the subway options. You could walk from that station to Arthur Avenue in about 10 minutes.

Next best: Take a taxi or car service--an expensive ride, but if there are two of three of you, it might seem more reasonable. I would expect it to cost about $40 each way, though it might b more.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 08:32 AM

I would say you'd be very safe. I work in the middle of Times Square and walk past Chicago and Book of Mormon twice-daily. You will find the streets particularly crowded with pedestrians until around 2 am most nights (including weeknights). The main concerns should actually be overcrowding and traffic, not crime.

You will be similarly safe on Arthur Avenue, especially during the day. The main drawback about going there is, as @ellenem says, the amount of walking since the subway doesn't stop right there, and it will be cold.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 12:58 PM

In Manhattan you are safe at any reasonable hour - certainly until 2 am or so - unless you wander down deserted alleys or the docks late at night. When theaters let out the streets and nearby restaurants are mobbed. We live on the upper west side and if the weather is good we often walk home after a show to stretch our legs a little (about 1.5 miles) after sitting for so long.

Arthur Ave is fine for red sauce Italian restaurants and some nice grocery stores - but I would not do public transit esp if you will be shopping - definitely get a car service.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 12:59 PM

I just returned from NYC. I was traveling alone and I never felt unsafe. I walked and used the subway from Central Park down to Battery Park and pretty much anywhere in between. Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 01:09 PM

Just today Yahoo had a link for "Christmas in New York City."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/here...203700175.html

Have fun.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 02:35 PM

If you want to do food shopping along Arthur Avenue and nearby, be aware that there are a few places the are closed on Sundays, and a few other that close early on Sundays. You can take the combo of subway and bus as mentioned above, and if you are laden down with purchases on the way back, you can even take an Uber to the subway stop if you do not want to do the reverse journey by bus. ( usually drive but that's cause I own a car and find it easy to park in that area).

I am planning an afternoon there myself in the near future, with a late lunch at Tra di Noi, but there are some other equally good restaurants to eat in the area; mostly Italian but there are also some with Albanian food which might be interesting, and some with a combination of both.

I am happy to recommend specific food shops, bakeries, and the like..just ask, as I know the area fairly well.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 04:29 PM

Arthur Avenue is generally safe, but it's a good idea to be aware of your surroundings if you go at night. Most other tourist destinations in Manhattan are completely safe at almost any hour. Have so much fun!
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 05:05 AM

Why would anyone go to Arthur Avenue at night except to eat? Better to go for lunch and take a look at the food stores. The immediate area is VERY safe and I would have no fear walking after dinner at any restaurant in the area.