Flying with clogged ear

Jun 9th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Flying with clogged ear

It seems that my ear is blocked, no infection or pain just feels like it does sometimes when I fly. Wondering if anyone has flown with this condition. Doctor says take a decongestant and that eustachan tube is the problem probably will be alright. Any suggestions.
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:35 AM

I agree about the decongestant. I was leaving for Europe in a few days when I had a clogged feeling in my ear (w/some pain as well). I went to the nurse at work to see if I should go to the Dr. since I was going to be out of the country. She gave me Sudafed & said she could see swelling in my ear but the Sudafed would relieve that. It worked. Try it. Hope you feel better
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:47 AM

Same here. Flew to Denver from the East coast, and hours later my ears still hadn't "popped". Pharmacist recommended Sudafed, and within a half hour I was back to normal. Have you tried this yet?
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Doctor recommended gargling with Dimetapp then swallpwing it. Tried Sudafed for one day no improvement. Maybe the plane ride will unplug it, who knows?!
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:59 AM

I am worried about this same thing. Have a clogged ear(for a few weeks now) and have been on Zyrtek, Flonase and another drug for 2 weeks, better but still clogged. Dr. told me to take this until I get home from Maui. She also said I should take Prednisone for 6 days. Haven't done that yet. Are you saying that the decongestant will keep you from having pain in the ear while flying? I have no pain now, but worried the flight may cause it?
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:10 AM

I had the same sensation of a clogged ear. Did the Sudafed, Flonase, Allegra, prednisone routine (I was on that for 3 weeks.) No relief. Had an MRI to rule out tumor. That was last year, I still have the sensation, plus tinnitus and a 30% hearing loss (which is an improvement from the 70% loss I started with)

This all started suddenly with no explanation. If your ear continues to feel plugged, go back to the Dr. Mine said the sooner you get on prednisone, the better.(sometimes!)
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Take a bottle of Afrin (or something similar) and just before take-off, give yourself a squirt.
Through the years, I have had sinus problems that result in a bad ear when flying. The doc told me to use the nasal spray and I am happy to say that it works for me every time!
Good luck~
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:39 AM
KMK

Similar issue, had plugged ears/eustachian tube dysfunction about a week prior to a scheduled flight. Fortunately, it cleared up before the flight, but my doctor said that it would have been ok to fly - just to take a squirt of Afrin (like Scarlett said) just before the flight. The doctor did caution not to take Afrin regularly, though, or it could cause a rebound effect (your ears start to feel clogged worse & depend on the drug if you use it too often). So, the doctor said, just before flights if I needed it.
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:23 AM

THis might sound too simple, but I have found this really helps. Use something to keep your ears WARM. A hat, ear muffs, whatever you feel comfortable with and works for you. I know it sounds crazy, but if you keep your ears warm, they don't hurt NEAR as much. Of course, this would be in ADDITION to the medicines.

Thanks for the Afrin tip, I'm going to try that. I have sensitive ears and flying always seems to bother them.