Ideas for a long, quiet weekend

Jun 9th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Ideas for a long, quiet weekend

Any ideas for a long, quiet weekend in mid July for my husband & I to get away. We are in Sourthern PA and can't drive too far away from home. And since I just found out I have Lymes diease, we won't be doing too much hiking, biking, etc. Really just need a quiet place to recharge batteries. Wonderful scenery would definately help! Thanks.
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Not clear on what you would consider a long drive, but Mystic seaport in connecticut can't be more than 4-5 hours from Williamsport,PA.
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM

What do you consider too far? I live in California and we look for something within about a 3 hour radius for a short getaway, but for a long weekend, we'd consider 4-6. I don't know PA, but it seems to me that driving towards Maine or New Hampshire might be nice and finding a lovely B&B anywhere usually works. Oceans and lakes are always gorgeous. (IMO). And during your drive, listen to a wonderful book on tape or some classical music to add to your "relaxing" ambiance. Don't know my away around PA so I can't comment. Sorry to hear about your recent bout with Lymes disease. Hope you get the "recharging" that you obviously need.
Jun 9th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Normally 4-5 hours would be very doable. However, somedays just going to town (20 mins.) is a real chore. That is my main problem, not knowing day to day how I'll be. What about NY state, maybe the Adorondaks(sp)? Never been there? Quiet? Would it be too late to find somewhere in that area for July? Thanks for all your help.

Jun 9th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Why not check it out?http://adk.com/lodging/z-lodging.htm

What about the Berkshires?
Bershires.org

Feel well.
Jun 9th, 2004, 09:34 AM

I would suggest going to Berkeley Springs, WV and staying at the Highlawn Inn. Book the Bathkeepers Quarters-it is beautiful and private. You wander a block down to town where there are restaurants and shops. And this big draw is the mineral springs. In the center of town is the State Spa where you can soak and get a massage. Other spas are in town and Coolfont Resort is a few miles up the hill. Go to www.berkeleysprings.com for lots of info. Berkeley Springs is a 4-5 hr trip from New York City so I imagine it is much closer to you. I went with my mom in the spring and we will certainly go back. It was good, simple, relaxing fun.