NYC Newbie Needs Advice Re JFK Transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying into JFK on May 24 to spend Memorial Day weekend playing tourist with my sister. I'll be flying in alone and need to get from JFK to my hotel on the Upper West Side with 1 carry-on bag. And, of course, I'll need to get back to JFK on Monday the 27th.

I've done a lot of reading and research and it sounds like taking a taxi from JFK to the hotel would be a great option, but at about $70 each way for one person that just seems like a lot of $$. The shuttle services all sound like they are fine if you happen to get on the bus when it's about full so you don't spend an hour just circling the airport looking for more passengers, but I'm not really sure I feel like taking the chance - I don't care so much about the time as I care about riding around in circles in an uncomfortable shuttle bus.

So I'm considering taking Airtrain to Penn Station and then taking a cab from there to the hotel (The Lucerne at West 79th and Amsterdam). BTW, I'm a 57 year old woman who also doesn't really want to lug that carry-on up and down a bunch of stairs, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Take a cab.
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:41 AM

From JFK to anywhere in Manhattan, there's a flat fare of $52, plus tolls, tip, and a $0.50 fee (which totals around $60). No flat fare on the way back, so $70-75 would be a good estimate.

Airtran/LIRR to Penn Station + taxi would be roughly $20-25. The trip is easy and safe, with escalators at each place. Using Airtran/LIRR takes about 45-60 minutes between Penn Station and JFK; how much that saves/costs compared to taxi depends on the time of day.
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:53 AM

If you prefer you can take the large airport bus - NOT the small Supershuttles - to either Penn Station or Port Authority and then a taxi from there. (They will pick up people in the airport - but will NOT drive around the city dropping people at different hotels for an hour or more - as Supershuttle does). Perhaps a decent compromise.

With LIRR you still have to carry your stuff up 3 levels of escalators to get to the street and then wait on the taxi line. This may be short (5 minutes) or long (30 minutes) depending on time of day and weather. Cab lines at airport are much shorter since they are pulling from a huge pool of waiting cabs.

We always just take a cab (from airport) or a car service (Carmel or Dial 7) to the airport - since I am past the age of being pack mule woman. IMHO the few $ more are well worth it.
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interested to hear about the "large airport bus". After one try with the Supershuttle - I was staying at the Jane, down near 14th St. and the Hudson and was the last dropped - I take the AirTrain and the subway, but wouldn't mind an alternative.
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:19 AM

all the info is on the jfk website.
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:07 AM

DonTopaz, the flat fare Manhattan to JFK also has been in effect for a few years too, so no worries in that doirection too.
Also the $60 you suggest is a bit low, The toll if any is $7.50 (actually a little less is the driver has the right E-Z Pass, not all give discounts) and a tip would be in the $8 range, so it's more like $70 than $60 . And as truly minor note, there is a 50 cent fee extra fee at some times of the day, $1 at other times, and none at all other hours.

cslasor, once you[ve taken the airtrain and LIRR or subway, you might as well just take the subway up to your hotel. You have to go up an down stairs for the first parts of the trip, so you might as well continue by train and save the time and the money of getting out of Penn Station and then waiting for a taxi uptown.
On the other hand, I rarely do that to get to the UWS and just factor in the price of a car service in the total cost of my trip. Car services from JFK are usually a few dollars cheaper than a taxi and take about 45 minutes door to door to the UWS
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:21 AM

Through the years, I've tried different options. Always a town car if the company were paying for it. I tried less expensive options when I was paying for it. Now I firmly believe that it's worth the taxi fare to get into the city, especially to the UWS. I never have enough time in NYC - even when I'm there for a week. Using the "time is money" approach, I'd rather spend the $$$ and get a cab (or town car) and use the time more wisely. Schlepping luggage around and spending 2+ hours to get where I'm going just isn't enjoyable for me. If budget really is a concern, I'd rather "save" $$$ elsewhere (meals, etc) and just get where I'm going in a comfortable and timely fashion. Take a cab.
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM

The AirTrain does not go to Penn Station. It only goes as far as Jamaica where you can get the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station or the subway (E train) to Penn Station.
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM

http://www.nycairporter.com/

All you need to know about the airport bus.
Old May 19th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Take the Air Train to the A train. Take the A into Manhattan and get off at Columbus Circle. You can transfer there easily to the uptown 1 train, which is a few short stops to 79th and Amsterdam.
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:25 PM

I (55 female) go visit DD a few times a year and fly to JFK and Finally discovered Airtrain a couple years ago! Kick myself for all the wasted $$$ on cabs.

There are 2 Airtrain options - to Howard Beach or Jamaica Station. If you want the A, go to Howard Beach then get the A.

Call the hotel and ask them which train/stop to take.

With all that said, if this is your first trip to NYC, take a cab.
Old May 19th, 2013, 02:03 PM

What about Go Shuttle or Super Shuttle? They do hotel pickups.
Old May 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM

If you don't mind the time, which might be 90 minutes or more, the Airtrain to the Jamaica and then the E train to 50th and 8th ave, then a taxi is probably the best option. The airtrain to Hward Beach and then the A train will take longer in most cases even though it drops you closer to your hotel. Otherwise, take the shuttle bus to grand Central or Bryant Park and then a cab. That would usually be at least 30 minutes faster. The slowest option is usually a shuttle that drops you at the hotel directly.
Old May 19th, 2013, 04:44 PM

This is one of those cases where I find the compromise (train plus taxi) to be the least satisfying option
There are benefits to both the train scenario (cheapest) and the taxi/car service (most convenient, possibly faster)
It's just one opinion of course, but taking the train then taxi adds both time and shlepping of suitcases, and then the cost and not always ease of getting a taxi (challenging on a rainy day, or at shift change time for example.)
cslasor , Hope we've given you some ideas to figure out whats best for you, and that you come back after you've doine the trip to let us know how it went, Airport to city transportation options in the NYC area are not really great compared to some other cities, so it's good to have many points of view and experiences posted here.
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM

As a Manhattanite who's done the reverse trip many ways over many years. I'd say... treat yourself.
Take a taxi in from the airport and a car service back.
(If I had time I'd post my stories - -
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank everybody for the wonderful information, ideas, and suggestions. I'm pretty sure I will just take a cab since this will be my first time there and I don't feel like stressing over where to go and what station to get off at and what train to get on and changing from trains to subways to taxis and so forth. It's not like NYC is a cheap place to visit after all, so what's a couple more dollars?

If I ever return I'm sure I will be much more familiar with how to get around and then I will certainly take advantage of some of these ideas. After my trip I will come back to the Forums and make a report so you can all hear what a middle-aged Florida girl thinks of The Big City. Lol!
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM

That's a very good plan, especially on your first visit.
I return almost every year and still prefer taking a cab.
If my budget is tight, I'd rather save money elsewhere and arrive quickly and hassle-free and get started on my NYC trip. Enjoy your trip!
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

I took the cab and it worked out great. I'm working on a trip report and will post it when done.

Thanks for the all of the great advice and tips!
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:48 AM

Glad it did.
I've really found it the best way (for me) to get into the city and to start enjoying the trip.

If you haven't returned yet, I take a car service back. I use Carmel but others here use Dial 7. They'll pick you up and get you back in style and comfort for not much more than the cab.
www.carmellimo.com