NYC - Mom w/ 13 year old

Search

NYC - Mom w/ 13 year old

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - Mom w/ 13 year old

I will be visiting NYC for 3 days in late August with 13 yo. We will be at the mid-town Marriott. My daughter wants to see "Hairspray". I saw the movie a long time ago, which would not be appropriate for 13yo. Would the musical be more suitable? PG-13 material, or R?
Also, what would be a good place to shop for bargain clothes for a teen who is somewhat funky? Thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:50 AM
GoTravel

Funky cutting edge fashion cheap: H&M. There is a massive H&M on Fifth Avenue and also one across the street from Macy's at Herald Square.

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:02 AM

clothing- consignment shops/used clothing stores maybe? if she's willing to dig....

depends on what you consider pg-13 or r. I've seen R movies that are far less "racy" than some pg-13. (13 is almost too young for pg-13 I don't really think hairspray is suitable for a 13 yr old....but it kind of depends on how mature your daughter is (I mean, if you allow her to watch primetime cable, I doubt hairspray is going to shock her). Great music though!

Please post a trip report when you get back!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Suerich68

What part(s) of "Hairspray" do you find objectionable for a 13 year old girl?

I've seen both the movie & show and thought they were both very cute.

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:17 AM

they are very cute- my mom was shocked by some of the "thematic elements" though. I wasn't. jmhe just sounds a bit protective(nothing wrong with that )- if she didn't think the movie would be appropriate, then she wouldn't like the musical for her daughter. I'm sure the daughter would enjoy it though! And to me, any musical is enjoyable (and I would have wanted to see hairspray at 13 too)
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:17 AM

I would suggest H&M, Daffy's, Macy's and Conway as a good places for a teen to shop. Conway is a budget store across the street from Macy's and she can get some fun clothes there for very little cash. Tee shirts for $3,00, cargo pants for $5.00 and cute jeans.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi - I just looked at the movie review and see that I am probably remembering other John Waters films that were not very tasteful, (or malodorous, if you remember smellorama). We don't watch cable shows - occasionally CSI gets a little too kinky.
The H&M store sounds good! She does like digging ala the Garment District store in Cambridge, MA, but don't want to go too out of the way since we also plan to see the sights - Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Metropolitan Museum, WTC site.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:40 AM

csi <a little too kinky> LOL! I stopped watching after the "furry" episode <shudder>

I don't really like waters in general- but I looooved hairspray: "mama, I'm a big girl now...."

If you're going to the Metropolitan- please, please post a trip report. I never made it to the Met, and I really want to, someday (museums and libraries are "destinations" for me- drives various relatives NUTS)

Anyway, have a great time!!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:43 AM
emd

I took my daughter to see Hairspray when she was 12 and she loved it. It is not R material, IMO. And it is not the kind of Waters piece you are describing. But if CSI is sometimes too kinky for you, then you know your own standards and obviously should go w/them and if you are having qualms just find something you don't have qualms about. My daughter is 13 now, and we are seeing Phantom, Wedding Singer, and Drowsy Chaperone on this trip. We got good discounts on broadwaybox.com for the first two, but I think you will want to firm up your plans to get discounts ahead of time and decent seats.

You've gotten good recommendations on the clothes part. There was a thread recently on second hand clothes shopping in NYC and I asked about places for a teen on it and got good responses. If you are interested, I can find it and top it for you. There is Century 21 right across from the WTC site, and you might be tempted to go in there. But we foudn it very crowded and my daughter found nothing there. You've been given better recommendations above.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Bet Phantom will be really good....
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We always stayed away from the teen dramas, graphic crime shows, even the Simpson's when my girls were younger, and I really can't think of anything objectionable in Hairspray. My daughter was 14 when we saw it, and I thought it was perfect for that age.

If your plans take you up to the Upper West Side on Sunday morning, there is a terrific flea market on Columbus (around 76th?)that my daughter really likes. There's lot of jewelry and other accessories.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi - I'm new to this board, it's great! If the recent shopping with teen thread can be brought up, I'll look at that.
I've been to NYC a few times over the years, but this is the first on my own with my daughter. I could get lost for days in the Metropolitan museum, and it's just a matter of how much time my daughter will be willing to spend in museums - I also want to see the new MOMA.
My daughter picked Hairspray as the show she wanted to see - based on the comments, sounds like it will be a good choice.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Hairspray objectionable for a 13-year-old child? Surely, you've got to be kidding! Children that age--and even younger--will love the show.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I agree with Howard. Both of my kids saw it a couple of times (and so have I) and loved it. Not only is it appropriate, but it sends a positive message (against racism, teasing, etc).
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Hairspray should be just fine for a child this age. I did take my girls - ages 13 and 15 to see Spelling Bee and it was excellent but this Mom would probably not like one particular part of it. Lion King is a great choice. Also Phantom - not my favorite but very splashy.

The Met is a wonderful choice and the young lady will probably enjoy the Costume Institute there. Other things my kids love in NY: Central Park Zoo, Bronx Zoo, Frick Collection (small absolutely gorgeous museum), Museum of Radio and TV, and shopping on Canal Street.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Can't imagine there is anything in Hairspray that would shock or surprise any 13 year old unless they're been living in a cave. (Have you ever seen MTV?)

It' very cute and certainly appropriate for someone who is - after all - not a child but becoming a young woman.